View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
Doc
Guru

RE: How do you keep your Air Cond system growth free

Several places that I have spent the summer have had shallow thus very hot water. Clear Lake Texas is the best example. There you get more scum build up than actual barnacles. The tablets help keep the scum from clogging up the strainer. In Galveston and here in SW Florida the water, although hot, is much clearer so barnacles are more of an issue than scum. Again the tablets help.

When I said that I cleaned it every 10 days that was when we lived aboard and although the water pump cycled with the compressor it was usually on during the summer. My friends that were weekenders found that the scum and/or barnacle problem was not as bad when the water did not flow all week. Less scum because of no flow, I assume, and no barnacles because the stagnant water lost its oxygen.

If you are concerned about the Bromine on the metal strainer gasket, you can get a plastic one.

Tampa Bay and the surrounding areas like Clearwater and Palmetto have some of the worst barnacle problems that I have ever seen. When I was up there I needed a diver almost everytime I wanted to use the boat. I was told that the strong currents kept the water very oxygenated. I kept the tablets in my strainer there too.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote