Mainship salon ceiling cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The covering on our Mainship 40' salon ceiling is coming off. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what glue to use and the best way to get it to stay back up? Thanks

Amazingraceann wrote:
The covering on our Mainship 40' salon ceiling is coming off. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what glue to use and the best way to get it to stay back up? Thanks
*I haven't seen your ceiling, but on many late model Mainships the ceiling is a vinyl fabric type.* It is not glued, but is reattached to so minny groves in a track over head with a roller some what like a roller for putting in vinyl screen bead.* Call your dealer or Mainship's service dept.* The name of the system*escapes me.* Must be a brain f_rt.

Go to the auto parts store and get a can of 3M spray headliner adhesive. Follow the directions and it's simple and effective.

The headliner on my 390 started coming loose last year. I just used Elmers glue on the inside of the liner and used a new paint roller to smooth it back in place. Worked like a champ.
John

I have the same problem with our 390 headliner. John, did you*peel back*the headliner, apply glue, then roll it back in place? Was it difficult to maintain the alignment of the cloth? So far I've been injecting glue at the spots that are sagging, but it's not the answer
no.gif
!

Nick

ok, thanks for the advice. *When the ceiling cover is attached there is some old yellowish glue that looks ugly. Other than acetone, do you have any suggestions for removing it?

I've had really good luck with Goo-Gone; acetone is pretty harsh stuff, I kinda think it might remove/*damage the paint on the ceiling. Are you totally removing the headliner, then re-applying it, or peeling back one section at a time and re-gluing?

Nick

I peeled it back between 1 & 2 feet depending on where it was. ( it came loose in the salon in two places and the forward stateroom in three places. I put the glue on the headliner, smoothed it out with a paper towel and put it back up working from the inside out. As long as you can fix it before the whole thing comes down, this should work. i haven't had any problems since.**I took of the old glue with goof off.

John

I am going to re glue the one area that fell down, it is only a portion, the rest is still up there. Do I have to remove all the old glue first? Or (hopefully) can I just apply new glue over old glue?

Thanks So much for everybody's helpful advice!

Well, that glue failed already so I wouldn't be trusting it's bond to either the ceiling or the headliner. I'd remove as much of it as possible.

*This has been a great thread........now I have some confidence in tackling our sagging headliner! Thanks' guys.

I had good luck with the 3M spray adhesive mentioned above on the headliner in my 350/390. I remove the old glue overage with a magic eraser.

David

Three days ago we used Elmers Glue to reattach our salon headliner and it worked. We used a small paint roller and generously applied Elmers Glue to the ceiling staying away from the edges. We did not remove the old glue. Then two of us used wide spackle knives to reattach the headliner going from the center towards the edges. We kept doing this for several minutes until we were sure it was stuck. If glue came through the headliner we just wiped it with a wet paper towel. Time will tell if this will last.

3M makes several different spray glue types The standard glue will let go after a time the heavy duty glue is best

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom