Port Alice/Port Hardy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
We are departing on our annual ten-day halibut trip up the north end of Vancouver Island in about a week.* This time we have friends from France accompanying us.* In addition to fishing and mucking about up Knight Inlet,*Blackfish Sound, etc. in the boat*we want to do a bit of exploring (by vehicle)*we've not done in the past.* So I'm curious if anyone has been to Port Alice and Port Hardy in recent years and has found anything worth seeing or experiencing in either place.*Ive been to Port Hardy but that was many years ago and don't remember much about the place.* Thanks.

Marin,
dont know about scenery but i have a request..
PLEASE post pictures, especially of the fishing action.

The main thing I remember about Hardy was being in the soup on the ILS coming through 400 feet with the radio calling it 2000 and 5.* And in town, a lot of the locals seemed to have problems with the demon alcohol.*

Probably a good place to provision, but I surely don't recall anything remarkable about it.*

Have a great trip!

Winter Harbour used to be a very quaint place to visit. Last time I was there was in the mid '70's, I assume its changed since then, but very unique area. San Josef Bay* is a reasonable hike from the road, and very picturesque. Bill

I agree w Island Cessna. Winter Harbour is a very good side trip but the road is long and rather bad but it's been about 10 years since I've been there so one could hope for the best. If you want to have an experience like being in Alaska without going there Winter Harbour is about the best for that and the fishing was at least as good as Alaska when I was there. Better to charter than drag your boat over that road. Ask about the road. It may not be an issue now. I ran my OB boat out over the big ocean swells, stayed in a fishing lodge and ate ton's of fish every night and hiked to a remote outer coast beach where I saw no humans at all. Had to wait for a Black Bear to leave the trail though. Flying from Port Hardy would be a good bet too. Yes** ...very good.

I was in Port Hardy a couple weeks ago, but didn't go into town as our weather window for Cape Caution was early the next morning.* Some day though I want to drive to the North end of the island where you can hike and see Cape Scott.* I love watching the sea from the land, especially if there is a storm brewing.* I do hear though that there is a current warning to be on the look for bears and big cats along the trail.** Still, I'm planning on doing just that next fall.* Let us know what happens...........Arctic Traveller

Back
Top Bottom