Senator 35

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bilge53

Vessel Name
M/V Major Award
Vessel Make
Senator 35 w/single Lehman
Anyone else with one lurking out there?

Hi,
I have just purchased a 1986 Senator 35 Classic Sundeck Trawler in Havelock, NC. I saw it on Boat Trader and loved the lines and the overall layout. A really nice boat and well built. Any tips or general information you have about the Senator would be great.
Thanks,
Jeff

I am familiar with that boat and, if I can find them, have some pictures I took when she was hauled 1 year ago at Wayfarers Cove. We have had ours two years. Where will you be keeping her?

Please forward the pictures if you can find them. That would be great! Thanks.

I will be bringing her to the Boston area in August. I live int Needham and have been a member of the Metropolitan Yacht Club in Braintree, MA, since 1982. So, I have a place to keep her and some great cruising grounds in Massachusetts Bay to enjoy her.

Hi Bilge53,
Do you have any specs on your boat? LOA? With swim platform and bow roller? True draft? Keel depth? Ballast? Bridge clearance?

What engine do you have? What is your cruising RPM of your engine?

Thanks,
Jeff

Also, do you know who actually built the Senators? Was it CHB in Taiwan? I think CHB stands for Chien Hwa Boats.

Thanks,
Jeff

I just bought the Fly-bridge Sedan that's been for sale forever in Essex and NC.
As soon as they finish the punch list from the survey and sea-trials I hope to head it south.
First stop is Reedville where a buddy has free dockage, a house on the water and a shop. Then press on to where the WX suits my clothes. Florida Panhandle before Miss Micki spends three grand on a condo again, for the 27th year.

Also, do you know who actually built the Senators? Was it CHB in Taiwan? I think CHB stands for Chien Hwa Boats.

Thanks,
Jeff

It says Chien Hwa on the data plates and title ;)

Hello CWO KPM,

What year is your Fly Bridge Sedan? What is the power? I hope you enjoy her.

Jeff

Good afternoon From Portsmouth Va we have had our Senator sundeck for over 7 years now. Its powered with the Perkins 354 with a velvet drive transmission. The trans has had to be rebuilt. We had original problems with the shaft breaking the sheer pin as is wen into the trans coupling. We later discovered that the key way was missing so all of the toruqe wen to the sheer pin That has been repaired.
The new challenege is a leaking port side fuel tank. Working on that now trying to find a fix. Have you had any similar experiences? Look for to heRING FROM YOU. Gene

Ours is a fly bridge sedan. Same drive tanks a lot easier to get at than yours. Also shaped and mounted differently.

Drive train. Sorry. Ours is a single living level except for two steps down to the forward queen and head. Yours has an aft stateroom and additional head?

As best I can tell and I am often wrong, to make room for the added living space and still keep fuel capacity they tried to get fancy and contour the tanks to the hull.
On the other hand, the lower (cheaper) Sedan has mostly box shaped tanks that are accessible on all sides.
PO had them coated by hand, inside and out. Seems to be working [emoji106]
If and when they fail I will go with three 50 gallon spun polyester tanks on each side, plumbed in series.
It's been used and still on French helicopters since '78. No problems, except when you crash hard. Then they burn[emoji30]

Your boats look a lot like my 1986 Fu Hwa Oceania 35 Sundeck. Single Perkins 135 hp. Forward and aft staterooms down two steps from the salon/galley. What is your cruising speed? How did you fix the fuel tank leak?

The boat is up on the hard now. Considered many options to include coating the inside of the current tanks. Problem is with the 150 gal capy there are two baffels inisde the tank and only one access opening. Considered cutting two more each tank to gain good access but the overall cost as estimated by the yard would be approximately the same as cutting the old tanks out and installing new poly types. i will be reducing my tankage by approx 100 gal. (currently 150 each side) but dont have any plans that woul drequire the addiytional fuel. my cruising speed is jus under 7 knts that is at 2000/2100 rpms lots depending on tides. be happy to fill you in mmore if you like

Senator Sundeck leaking fuel tanks

:banghead: Posted in quick reply but i dont see it now. However here it is again.
the boat is on the hard now . Considered many options however keeping in mind the cost and difficulty of making the repairs i have opted to reduce my tank to two 50 gal tanks plumbed together each side. The currrent 150 gal tank had one access port had baffels that would have required cutting two additional ports to make coating the interiors possible.
Waiting for the new tanks to be delivered on Monday Will keep you advised.

Your boats look a lot like my 1986 Fu Hwa Oceania 35 Sundeck. Single Perkins 135 hp. Forward and aft staterooms down two steps from the salon/galley. What is your cruising speed? How did you fix the fuel tank leak?

Sorry for the slow reply after a week gone and not using internet we got home last night. Our cruising speed on the way to St. Augustine and back from Oriental averaged 7 knots @ 1950 rpm with a fuel consumption of right at 1.8 gph. We do not have a tank issue...yet.

Hi Bilge53,
Do you have any specs on your boat? LOA? With swim platform and bow roller? True draft? Keel depth? Ballast? Bridge clearance?

What engine do you have? What is your cruising RPM of your engine?

Thanks,
Jeff
From a spec sheet from JR Yachts:
LOA 34' 4 1/2", LWL 31' 6", Beam 12', Draft 3' 3"

I don't have exact specs, but the LOA is 35' 12 beam and draft 4'+ i have a perkins 6-354 with a velvetdrive tranny my max rev is 2100 cruise at 1950 /2000 Be glad to discuss more with you. Boat is still on the hard working on getting new fuel tanks installed

I'm researching a 1985 Senator 35 Sundeck. I've found all the minimum information I need before making arrangement for the trip to see her, with one exception: I need to know the headroom inside the cabins. I'm 6'3" and I hate to stoop.

Does anyone know the headroom, particularly the salon and master stateroom?

It's gonna be close.

Still thinking
Just bought my 1985 35' Senator 2 weeks ago. Niceville fl. Had to look and buy it all in same day. Not one of my greatest decisions but I have looked at lots of boats and this boat floats and the motor runs. So for the price I got it at I can live with a few dollars to fix
Any problems. I am headed back down (from Atlanta) this coming weekend to really give it a full inspection and set up the trip to Chattanooga.
Long story short. I will be able to share lots more info later.
Looking forward to many miles of enjoyment

Thanks for the post.
I was aware of 3 available 35' Senators: Florida, Michigan and Connecticut, but not yours.
Had to find Niceville on the map, I've never been in that part of Florida.
I've received responses on my headroom question and it appears the Senator is tall enough. I've booked flights to look at the Florida boat and I'm bringing my tape measure.
This may be a good compromise model for us since the 35' Senator appears to have headroom, hopefully enough living space and good fuel mileage with either a small single or two small twin diesels.
We don't need speed, we're retired.
Congrats on the new boat.

senator 35 sundeck 1987

if all of you still have your senator 35 i would like to hear from you. apparently the group on yahoo is no longer around...not sure, couldn't find them. i purchased mine in march of 2019 and have put over 1600 miles on her and about 300 hours. love to get some tech data on her. weight, draft, etc. etc.
let me know, anxious to learn more about the boat.

i have a 1987 senator 35 sundeck. new to me this year. bought her in fort myers fl and drove her to cincinnatio ohio. 1600 miles and she performed very well.
i would love to find a spec sheet on her, construction data, anything relating to this boat would be great

I am ready to recore the deck on the flybridge of my senator 35 sundeck. it appears a po drilled a couple holes at one time and injected something to firm up the deck. I am wondering if anyone on here has recored their decks and if so what they found under the fiberglass when they pulled it up. I have not done this type of work in the past but after watching numerous videos on youtube I feel it is something I can handle. any and all tips and suggestions are appreciated.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom