Coot is coming along

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mark,

I think the concept of getting pooped because of a swim step is like the concept of ruining your engine from underloading*** ....it's obvious but it never seems to happen. I don't have a swim step and I don't underload my engine but I know of none that have suffered from it either. If I knew all that went on everywhere that probably would'nt be true. But the above observations don't give me personally the desire to underload or have swimstep.

I don't think a swimplatform could hold any volume of water, for more than a second.

Never heard of any boat being "pooped" by the swimplatform-- now a breaking wave into the cockpit "aft deck" is more dangerous as the water can only drain as fast as the scuppers allow.* A lot of water could find its way below.

I think the folding*platform has a*couple of*advantages--1) no place for the birds or other creatures to sit around and make a mess.

*************************************************************************2) Fold it up when some Marina employee wants to charge you for the extra 2 feet.

Mark,* Maybe you will figure out more advantages, as you begin to use your new boat.

JohnP

I echo all JohnP's remarks.

JohnP wrote:
I don't think a swimplatform could hold any volume of water, for more than a second.

Never heard of any boat being "pooped" by the swimplatform-- now a breaking wave into the cockpit "aft deck" is more dangerous as the water can only drain as fast as the scuppers allow.* A lot of water could find its way below.

I think the folding*platform has a*couple of*advantages--1) no place for the birds or other creatures to sit around and make a mess.

*************************************************************************2) Fold it up when some Marina employee wants to charge you for the extra 2 feet.

Mark,* Maybe you will figure out more advantages, as you begin to use your new boat.

JohnP
*When*the swim platform is folded* it makes it more difficult for intruders to come on deck.* This feature saves allot of ammunition!
biggrin.gif

JohnP wrote:

*3)* A little harder to break.

No. 1 -- good point; we've got lazy seals here who like to lounge.

http://www.fws.gov/desfbay/Archives/Seal/Harbor_Seals.htm

-- Edited by markpierce on Thursday 19th of May 2011 10:17:51 AM

Mark:

Just a note to let you know that the gallery has been assembled and we are all standing by. No pressure.

Attachments

• crystal champagne.jpg
    crystal champagne.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 118
SeaHorse II wrote:
Mark:

Just a note to let you know that the gallery has been assembled and we are all standing by. No pressure.
*How about a live Web feed to connect to?
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

scarletbison wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:
Mark:

*How about a live Web feed to connect to?
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

*Aren't some of you fellas movie makers?* ...*

The four hoisting rings (one shown here on the gunwale*opposite the forward-cabin window)*have certainly come in handy.

img_51502_2_5f540184074fe49f0c05af6748e92198.jpg

biggrin.gif
markpierce wrote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:
*I hope to see the Coot in real life this summer!
*Very likely if you transit Carquinez Strait, the gateway to the Delta.

We will have Pineapple Girl in the delta all of July,*with us coming up to go boating on weekends and the week of July 23rd. WE WILL FIND YOU.
biggrin.gif

Pineapple Girl wrote:
We will have Pineapple Girl in the delta all of July,*with us coming up to go boating on weekends and the week of July 23rd. WE WILL FIND YOU.
biggrin.gif
*Jennifer, we should be able to arrange a rendezvous in the Delta.

Giggitoni wrote:
Include me!
*Of course!* A threesome sounds mightily sociable and handy.

Message from Yang Ming:
Hello Mark,
Please note that shipment is pending on Customs clearance, kindly contact your custom broker. ETA in Oakland is 5/29.
*In order to arrange gate pass for pick up, please kindly contact Andy ...
*Terminal schedule - Memorial Day,*May 30, 2011
PDX-6 - closed
OT gate offered in*all*OAK/TIW/SEA terminal*- YM will not participate in*OT gate.

Aliens have taken over. You're screwed I think.

Seriously, can you understand that message? I don't.

dwhatty wrote:
*Partly, sort of.* I am always having to make direct phone contact to adequately interpret*many messages I've received.* Fortunately, all the parties (builder, shipping agent, customs broker, shipper, etc.)*have been very helpful.* They normally*deal with import/export companies familiar with the jargon and procedures.* Being ignorant like me doesn't make things easy.

dwhatty wrote:
Aliens have taken over. You're screwed I think.

LOL.* It is VERY cryptic???* I think it says Mark can come pick up the boat*at the port of Oakland*but they are closed on Memorial Day.* I guess the next step is transport it from the port to a yard for commissioning and launching?? Mark, who is launching it?*

We are all waiting on the edge of our seats for this, are you freaking out yet?* I can only imagine how excited you must be after all these months of anticipation, versus our having to wait a week and a half for our boat to be ready to go after we bought it!* We could barely concentrate on anything else!

Jennifer, yes I'm freakin'.* There are so many*units, companies,*and people involved (customs broker, customs, shipping agent, shipping company and its agents, crane operators, etc.), not to mention all the paperwork,*that*it is hard to accept things won't get screwed up.

The shipper is supposed to place the Coot in Oakland harbor waters.* The builder's owner, Bill Kimley, is to help me commission the boat (mainly mast raising) and explain the boat's systems.* After taking the possession of the boat, I'm pretty sure we'll be stopping over in Richmond to deliver a stowaway sailing dinghy to Jim Dewitt (former sailmaker and sailboat racer*and now paint artist*and dinghy guy).* Am still working on getting insurance so I can get a berth at a marina.

oh wow that is cool.* SO CLOSE!!!!

I met Jim Dewitt once*at one of the Pac Cup prep seminars.* He seems like a SUPER nice guy.* Neat that you know him/*are bringing him a stowaway.* LOL.* Maybe he will paint you a picture of your new boat.
wink.gif

I met*Jim when he*came aboard my Dad's 29.5-foot Columbia Defender sloop in the early 1960s to check how the sails he made fit.

img_51607_0_60f1780cb25446e42d10fe79f7db96c6.jpg

On Father's Day 2009, Dad said "That's a boat ... that's my boat!"* (His GF says she often sees him staring at the boat's photo*in his study.)

It sure is great to see your dream materialize. *So many awesome moments along the way, and it's not over yet. *I think for anyone ever considering a custom build like Coot, it's been a real lesson in seeing that life, after all, is about the trip. *What a great trip. *Hope you can keep sharing it.

Back
Top Bottom