Balmar Smart Gauge Error Code

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbevins

Guru
Vessel Name
Keeper IV
Vessel Make
44 Viking ACMY
I've got a 3KW Victron /charger on board supplying a house bank of 4 Victron AGM telecom batteries. I installed the system summer of 15.
This winter the boat is being stored in a boat house so it is remaining on shore power. Twice now I've gone to check on it and found an E03 error on the Balmar Smart Gauge. The voltage showing on the gauge once the error is cleared is 13.6, which to my knowledge is with tolerance for AGM's.

This is a concern as it now can't be considered a fluke .
Does anybody have any feed back? I'd like to deal with this BEFORE I smoke my batteries if I have a problem.

I get the same code when underway from time to time. Usually just at first when the regulator is doing its bulk charge. I have the Balmer MC614 regulator and also have it set to the AGM battery setting so not sure what's up.

Last edited:
Double check that the Balmar is set for the correct battery type?

My manual discusses the different AGM batteries and to use different battery settings for the different types...

Double check that the Balmar is set for the correct battery type?

My manual discusses the different AGM batteries and to use different battery settings for the different types...

Yeah I guess I better go back and check my work. It is kind of funky using the magnet to change the settings. I recently replaced the regulator so there's the possibility I set it up wrong. Think it's flashing "AgL" but I need to double check.

We installed a larger alternator & cables, and that confused the Smartgauge. I tried to reset the Smartgauge back to factory presets (so it would "unlearn" everything it had learned) but for some reason I couldn't reset it. Now it flashes E03 for a couple minutes on startup of the engine, then settles back to normal.

I meant the Balmar smartguage has 2 settings for AGM batteries.

I have my smart guage hooked to my house bank....even with very high initial voltages after starting, I never get error codes. If hooked to the start battery, maybe change over? A second battery can be monitored, that is my start battery.

I have my smart guage hooked to my house bank....even with very high initial voltages after starting, I never get error codes. If hooked to the start battery, maybe change over? A second battery can be monitored, that is my start battery.

Oh? Wasn't aware of that. Will have to read up on it to see how to change settings.

My alternater is not running. Boat is in storage, but I will pull out the installation kit created and confirm AGN settings.
I somehow doubt that as an issue though because if that was the case I'd see the error all the time?

I have some west Marine points ready to expire and the Balmar Smartguage is on sale for $180. You folks like it? It’s a very good price.

yes, seems pretty accurate based on very unscientific guessing.

hard to check for real accuracy, but based on random clamp meyer measurements and charger run times.... seems pretty accurate.

best write up is from CMS....sorry don't have his link handy...someone will post it.

Last edited by a moderator:
voltage higher than battery type likes for too long.

https://marinehowto.com/smart-gauge-battery-monitoring-unit/

In a nutshell:

"Pro’s & Cons

Pro’s:

Easiest to use of any battery monitoring device
Easiest to wire of any battery monitoring device
Lifetime accuracy with no reprogramming
Simple – SOC is really all you need to know
Accurate – More accurate than an Ah counter
Can track its own very small self consumption
Offers alarm or gen start relay ports in both normally open and normally closed
No human intervention beyond selecting the battery type
Very low self consumption
Truly a plug & play battery monitoring unit
Can track miniscule parasitic leaks / loads that shunt based devices can miss

Con’s

Non standard hole cut out / display size
Face Plate = 4 3/8" X 3"
Cut Out = 3 3/4" X 2 1/2"
Rear Clearance = 1" plus wires
No amperage display (some owners like this)
Not as pin point accurate during charging as it is when discharging
Price – More money than some Ah counters but less than many others
MarineHowTo.com Overall Rating = TWO THUMBS UP!!!

If I had three thumbs this product would get all three! The sheer simplicity and accuracy of this product are outstanding and I really did doubt it, I was proven wrong…
What matters most to your batteries is your depth of discharge or state of charge. The Balmar Smart Gauge does this accurately and simply! Hands down the Smart Gauge is the easiest SOC meter made."

Thanks folks. It’s ordered. After rewards was $130. Can’t beat that price. Defender was over $300.

On sale at West Marine until the 15th under clearance electronics.

What matters most to your batteries is your depth of discharge or state of charge. The Balmar Smart Gauge does this accurately and simply! Hands down the Smart Gauge is the easiest SOC meter made."
:iagree:I've had a Smart Gauge for years and never got an error message. It's the best!

EDIT: I edited the quote to show the proper source, CMS.
-FlyWright

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres' a rumor that you can get it from England for something like $150 from the real naker of it. ....shipping and all.

Merlin Euipment, LTD in England.

Last edited:
Theres' a rumor that you can get it from England for something like $150 from the real naker of it. ....shipping and all.

Merlin Euipment, LTD in England.
Not a rumor. I got mine from England . the name plate will be "Merlin", the actual manufacturer. The Balmar gauge is simply a re-badge for double the price.
I get the same code when underway from time to time. Usually just at first when the regulator is doing its bulk charge. I have the Balmer MC614 regulator and also have it set to the AGM battery setting so not sure what's up.

Yeah I guess I better go back and check my work. It is kind of funky using the magnet to change the settings. I recently replaced the regulator so there's the possibility I set it up wrong. Think it's flashing "AgL" but I need to double check.

I have some west Marine points ready to expire and the Balmar Smartguage is on sale for $180. You folks like it? It’s a very good price.

Purchased from

Battery Monitors: Merlin Smartguage Battery Monitor (19-1001)

Paid $155 including shipping from England. Placed internet order on a Thurs, received Smart Gauge in Utah the following Monday.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom