Lakeshore Marina and Yacht Harbor, Slidell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobH

Guru
Vessel Name
Encore
Vessel Make
Whitby 42
Anybody know anything about this marina? There is a listing on AC but the website listed doesn't work and there is only one review from sometime in 2015. The satellite view doesn't show a marina.

Last edited:
Thanks, I did a different search and found it. Was beginning to think it was one of those condo developments that never took off. Strange there aren't any more details or reviews in AC.
We are planning to relocate our boat from Galveston Bay, Clear Lake, and will make a road trip in the near future to check it out in person.

Thanks, I did a different search and found it. Was beginning to think it was one of those condo developments that never took off. Strange there aren't any more details or reviews in AC.
We are planning to relocate our boat from Galveston Bay, Clear Lake, and will make a road trip in the near future to check it out in person.

I think AC gets more reviews from transients and this dock is primarily local and largely the immediate area.

That area of the Lake and surrounding developments took a very big hit during Katrina. It was within a home development subdivision. Last time I was there maybe one in ten of the homes had been rebuilt. The marinas did have some boats in them but I am not sure as to what obstacles were left or cleared from the channels. It has been about six years since I was in the neighborhood.

BOBH
Any reason why Slidell, Madisonville only 20 west. Much better boating community. IMO

BOBH
Any reason why Slidell, Madisonville only 20 west. Much better boating community. IMO

We'll check it out. Really just looking for a place to park the boat. We'll come down every so often and plan to go out for 3-4 weeks at a time.

We'll check it out. Really just looking for a place to park the boat. We'll come down every so often and plan to go out for 3-4 weeks at a time.

Why so far from home? Just curious if you have a connection to the area. If to enjoy New Orleans, then why not keep it in New Orleans?

I would try going up the Tchefuncta to Madisonville or thereabouts.

I would try going up the Tchefuncta to Madisonville or thereabouts.

Beau Chenes is a top rated marina. You never have to worry too much about bad storms coming right off the lake. In fact this marina is a great hurricane hole. Other marinas on the south side of lake will make you move with any named storm. South shore marinas are City owned and managed, no after hours and no weekend personnel on duty.
Seabrook is privately owned. First class marina but in an industrial area....If you want the southside and just interested in keeping you boat safe in protected waters with a full service boat yard, Seabrook is the place.

Beau Chenes is on our list to check out. Will also add Seabrook.

We've had a boat in Clear Lake since 1998, on and off. There are really very few destinations in Galveston Bay and we have been to most of them, more trips up and down the Houston Ship Channel than I care to remember. We want to have the boat somewhere where we can head out for 3-4 weeks at a time without having to do the ship channel and then the ICW. We think that once we are east of the Mississippi that opens up all of the Mississippi, Alabama and a big part of the FL west coast.

We covered that area twice while heading out cruising, once heading south to the VI and then again heading north to Maine, and we would like to explore it in more detail.

Galveston Bay is OK for sail boat, you can just go sail around but with a power boat you really need a destination.

Also remember the good old days coming through NO and stopping in the NO Municipal Marina. Seem to recall it was 30 cents/foot.

According to a review on AC, Seabrook Marina on the Industrial Canal requires boats to be hauled in case of a hurricane. Is that the case or is there another Seabrook Marina?

According to a review on AC, Seabrook Marina on the Industrial Canal requires boats to be hauled in case of a hurricane. Is that the case or is there another Seabrook Marina?

Even though you are inside the protection flood structures at Seabrook, the army corp mandates that all vessels to be remove from the industrial canal including pleasure craft. I've been on their evac. list for 3 years in case of a named storm. Not sure if on the hard is better than in the water well secured.

I've left the Lake area and moved east to Gulfport, MS. for the same reason as you. Can easily be in AL in a day; or FL in 2.

Gulfport is also on our list. Which marina are you in? Gulfport is still within a days drive from us so that would work.

Gulfport is also on our list. Which marina are you in? Gulfport is still within a days drive from us so that would work.

Biloxi and Gulfport are both getting some $ towards their marinas from BP. They are not well protected from storms though.
I would never think of hauling for a storm at Seabrook. Go on up and across the lake and up the river. There is way to much debris, old boats, lumber, falling down buildings, etc. that will go flying around there in a storm.

Bob, when you check out Gulfport (which we really enjoyed) look on the side of the marina office building where they have the water level from the last hurricane marked. It's scary. You are only a days cruise to Mobile where you can hide out up the river if you have to though.

I have stayed at Seabrook several times but only when we overnight. If we plan on staying a while, we go another 15 minutes to South Shore. A little better neighborhood IMO.

The rr bridge at Seabrook is down for repairs. No spare part available and they are going to have machine a new part. So access to the lake is unavailable for about six months!!!!

Well that narrows the options somewhat....:)

The rr bridge at Seabrook is down for repairs. No spare part available and they are going to have machine a new part. So access to the lake is unavailable for about six months!!!!

There is never just one way to get somewhere. You can go around or just come in at the Rigolets.

To go around adds about 60 miles one way. Takes all of the fun out of a quick trip into the lake.

To go around adds about 60 miles one way. Takes all of the fun out of a quick trip into the lake.

I apologize if I read the Original Poster's intention wrong but it was my belief he was not looking for a quick trip into the lake but rather a location where he could get out for 3-4 weeks at a time. Thus allowing him to travel and explore the Eastern Sections of the Gulf Coast. Coming from Bolivar Roads outside he could come in at the Rigolets head west back into the Industrial Canal to Seabrook, or go on into the lake up to madisonville area. Never have to worry or cross under the Seabrook RR Bridge.

I like Seabrook and read the same review you did, BobH, but not sure what I read as it says not that the marina requires boats to be hauled but the Corps of Engineers does and I'm not sure if it's referring to at Seabrook or on the lake or whether the information is even accurate. Just unusual in it's wording and what it says. I'd check it out before assuming anything. I think it may mean ou have to remove from Lake Pontchartrain, rather than Seabrook.

Now, I'd think about my destination. If it is New Orleans, then great place, and fine. However, if it's Mississippi, Alabama, Florida then I'd consider driving a little further. From either Pontchartrain or Seabrook, you've still got a pretty long boat ride to anywhere else. The further east you go the more destinations. So, Bay St. Louis or Gulfport or Biloxi? By comparison, Gulfport is an hour more by car, but by boat it may be two days for you, depending on speed and boating days, etc. New Orleans is great unto itself but not the best jumping off point for other places.

I like Seabrook and read the same review you did, BobH, but not sure what I read as it says not that the marina requires boats to be hauled but the Corps of Engineers does and I'm not sure if it's referring to at Seabrook or on the lake or whether the information is even accurate. Just unusual in it's wording and what it says. I'd check it out before assuming anything. I think it may mean ou have to remove from Lake Pontchartrain, rather than Seabrook.

Now, I'd think about my destination. If it is New Orleans, then great place, and fine. However, if it's Mississippi, Alabama, Florida then I'd consider driving a little further. From either Pontchartrain or Seabrook, you've still got a pretty long boat ride to anywhere else. The further east you go the more destinations. So, Bay St. Louis or Gulfport or Biloxi? By comparison, Gulfport is an hour more by car, but by boat it may be two days for you, depending on speed and boating days, etc. New Orleans is great unto itself but not the best jumping off point for other places.

B, I've been on the reserved haul out list ($250.00 a year) for 3 years at Seabrook. No boats are allowed to be docked in water at their piers before and during a named storm. Talked to David about this not long ago with Army Corps still mandating no boats in the water....just my $.02.

If docked in Biloxi/Gulfport with a storm approaching I move the boat up through Biloxi bay into the industrial area or further up river. About a 3 1/2hr run at 8kts from Gulfport harbor.

I'm a Cajun, south Louisiana boy through and through. However, I must admit I much prefer having our boat in Gulfport as compared to Southshore in N.O.. Maybe because I've spent so much time in N.O. most of my life that I find Mississippi sound far more interesting along with the ability to move East quickly. Besides, my wife really enjoys the cleanliness and beauty of the Miss. coast.

B, I've been on the reserved haul out list ($250.00 a year) for 3 years at Seabrook. No boats are allowed to be docked in water at their piers before and during a named storm. Talked to David about this not long ago with Army Corps still mandating no boats in the water....just my $.02.

If docked in Biloxi/Gulfport with a storm approaching I move the boat up through Biloxi bay into the industrial area or further up river. About a 3 1/2hr run at 8kts from Gulfport harbor.

I'm a Cajun, south Louisiana boy through and through. However, I must admit I much prefer having our boat in Gulfport as compared to Southshore in N.O.. Maybe because I've spent so much time in N.O. most of my life that I find Mississippi sound far more interesting along with the ability to move East quickly. Besides, my wife really enjoys the cleanliness and beauty of the Miss. coast.

Thanks for the information. I've just never known Army Corps to be involved in such a policy before. You do confirm my thoughts on moving further east.

Our intended destinations are east of NO, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida. We plan to look at Marina Beau Chene in Mandeville and then east to Slidell and Gulfport, maybe Biloxi. My concern with Gulfport and Biloxi is their exposure to hurricanes.
Gulfport and Biloxi are at the far end of a trip from our home base in Montgomery, TX. Right now the plan is to head out by car on or about Feb. 1st and look at the possibilities in person. Marina Beau Chene would seem to be the best in terms of hurricane protection and would only add maybe a day to get out to where we want to cruise. We are planning on spending 3-4 weeks at a time so that is not that big a deal.

Our intended destinations are east of NO, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida. We plan to look at Marina Beau Chene in Mandeville and then east to Slidell and Gulfport, maybe Biloxi. My concern with Gulfport and Biloxi is their exposure to hurricanes.
Gulfport and Biloxi are at the far end of a trip from our home base in Montgomery, TX. Right now the plan is to head out by car on or about Feb. 1st and look at the possibilities in person. Marina Beau Chene would seem to be the best in terms of hurricane protection and would only add maybe a day to get out to where we want to cruise. We are planning on spending 3-4 weeks at a time so that is not that big a deal.

If you're talking 3 weeks and spend two days each way out and returning to NO, then you've used 20% of your time. Now, if you enjoy those two days of cruising, it's great. Just looking at the reasons you want to move to start with.

The USCOE policy was a result of barges in the Industrial canal that came loose and overtopped the levees banging into houses and causing damage. The initial allegation was that the loose barges hit the levee wall and caused the breeches that flooded neighborhoods in New Orleans East. This was not proven in trial though. However the policy is now no floating vessels in the Industrial Canal that can cause a breech in the levee.

If you're talking 3 weeks and spend two days each way out and returning to NO, then you've used 20% of your time. Now, if you enjoy those two days of cruising, it's great. Just looking at the reasons you want to move to start with.

Maybe I missed something. Where did the two days come from ?

Maybe I missed something. Where did the two days come from ?

An estimate of how long he might take going to Gulfport, while recognizing he might do it in one day. I don't know his speed or cruising pattern. Some depends on where he docks in the NO area too. I'm just saying that when your opportunities to cruise are limited then time to the cruising grounds is important, especially considering he'd leaving his home area because there's not much new in that area for him to cruise to. He can judge the time himself, based on where he ends up.

I think the NO resident who keeps his boat in Gulfport might be worth considering and discussing it further with.

Back
Top Bottom