Cruising close to home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wannabe

Vessel Name
Hakuna Matata
Vessel Make
DeFever Pilothouse 49
We just returned from a great week cruise on the Chesapeake.* Six nights aboard, four at marinas and two at anchor.* We left our home port of Occoquan, VA on Mother's day and headed down the Potomac.* The water was flat and we made good time in getting to the St. Mary's River for a night at anchor.* We enjoyed a great dinner aboard, and watched a beautiful* sunset (pic 1).

Day 2 we headed across the bay, around Tihlman Island to the working town of Crisfield, MD.* We stayed two* nights at Sommer's Cove Marina.* We met up with cruising friends and met the owners of Serendipity, loopers headed home to* NJ for the summer.* We shared stories over a glass of wine.* What a* great way of life! *The marina was deserted as it is still* early in the season, and we were there mid-week.* We had the place to* ourselves.*

*Day 3 we took* the mail* boat over to Smith Island.* This* place is all* about crabbing (pictures 2&3), accessible only by boat.* The residents live an isolated life but really welcome visitors.* The museum*on Smith Island*has a great video explaining the lifestyle and interesting displays with artifacts from the watermen's history on the bay.

Day 4 we headed back*West across the bay to Solomon's Island.* Zanhiser's Marina was very accommodating, allowing us to borrow a car for a short drive to a sculpture garden and the grocery.* They have good facilities, and are well located for provisioning and dining out.*

On day 5, the kids used loaner bikes to* get around for a little tour and ice cream was a hit.* We met a couple that had sailed their catamaran*from California, and after a 9 month stop because of some health problems were anxious to continue their journey up the east coast.

Day 6 we headed south, back to the Potomac River.* This was the rough day of travel.* We had 4 foot seas on the nose for several* hours.* Not bad, but a slow slog.* We anchored out just off*the shore of St. Mary's College.* This was a beautiful* anchorage and a place we will*stop*again.* I would like to do some exploring on land in this area, and I hear they are cruiser friendly on campus and have summer concerts.

Day 7 we headed back* up the Potomac for home.* We had our first boarding by the Coast Guard.* It was uneventful, partly because we had two Coast Guard officers aboard (my son and his girlfriend).* Professional courtesy may have prevailed.* The young Coasties were respectful and personable.

The trip was great and left me wanting more.* Being newbies, we learned a lot about how to handle our boat and what to expect from it, and we learned more about how to operate as a team to get the expected results (especially when docking.* We really enjoyed spending time with the kids and* their friends, meeting cruising buddies ands making*new dock* friends and sharing boating stories and experiences.* It's all about the poeple.* We can't*wait to get out again!

Attachments

• dsc_0513.jpg
    dsc_0513.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 87
  • dsc_0736.jpg
    dsc_0736.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 90
  • dsc_0751.jpg
    dsc_0751.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 106
  • dsc_0618.jpg
    dsc_0618.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 89
Sounds like a great time. Love the pics.

Nice sunset you should frame it.

SD

some of the best cruising can be close to home. Sounds like a great trip and I agree- pictures are great. Based on your avatar, is your boat a 49 defever pilothouse?

Woodsong,

Yep, a DeFever 49. Took posession at the end of June last year, and having fun learning and working on her.

Wannabe

Back
Top Bottom