42 LRC on Travel Lift - Video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:thumb: Lookin' good!!

(I always get nervous when I see my boat hanging on fabric straps in the air.)

Attachments

• IMG_0870.jpg
    IMG_0870.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 89
I'm sure that guy knew what he was doing but, damn, that seemed close to bottoming out on the rudders. When we had Stella hauled in Delaware City, there was no "trough" to drive through.

Last edited:
New Travel lifts have huge capacities, 300 ton plus. The main worry would be to get the strap placement correct.

This is the largest boat that Oceanside Marine can haul. It's a tight squeeze at the haul-out.

Attachments

• IMG_0463 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0463 (Medium).JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 102
New Travel lifts have huge capacities, 300 ton plus. The main worry would be to get the strap placement correct.

I know you're right...but it's still a little fabric strap! And it's MY BOAT that's hanging on it just inches from the (sometimes uneven) ground while it moves along the ground. What could possibly go wrong?

:socool: :eek: :banghead:

Last edited:
I know you're right...but it's still a little fabric strap! And it's MY BOAT that's hanging on it just inches from the (sometimes uneven) ground while it moves along the ground. What could possibly go wrong?

:socool: :eek: :banghead:

"just inches from the ground" would have been comforting to me. Watching this made me nauseous. Those two little fabric straps carrying 114000# at 80 feet off the ground. Puckered for days.

Attachments

• Libra flying 1.jpg
    Libra flying 1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 86
Those straps are special, I learnt about them when one failed after a non factory repair. Dropped a steel sailboat, with man standing on the deck. They should go back to the maker for any repair, it`s no time to cut corners. Both man and boat were damaged.

:thumb: Lookin' good!!

(I always get nervous when I see my boat hanging on fabric straps in the air.)

Tell me about it!

Although in the above case there are four metal connection on the gunwale to attach. "My" somewhat distant boatyard uses straps, but they use straps in good shape unlike a more local boatyard. Good straps:

Last edited:
Somewhere, up there, is my Coot.

Re post 12. Never, never, never allow persons to ride a boat during a hoist. I have seen too many failures for this to be considered a safe practice.

Re post 12. Never, never, never allow persons to ride a boat during a hoist. I have seen too many failures for this to be considered a safe practice.
See also post 11, serious personal injury occurred when a damaged poorly repaired sling broke with the boat owner onboard.

Probably better than using a heavy lift helo where all the pilot has to do is hit the wrong button :D

The photo with several people on the boat is hoisted by wires attached with bolts to the hull and not a sling. ... Have no explanation why the Chinese boat-mover needed people on board. ... Life is cheap there?

Quadruple straps in Sitka:

The marina in Ocean City, MD where I run my charter boat had a travel lift accident years ago with a 100+ ton commercial fishing boat. The stern strap was too far back, got cut on the steel skeg, and broke when the boat was most of the way out of the water. When the lift picks up a boat, the tires compress. When the strap broke, the tires unloaded lifting the travel lift off the ground. Operator on the lift was beat up pretty badly including 2 broken wrists.

Ted

I'm glad our local boat lift doesn't doesn't rely on those fabric straps.

They use a rail mounted trolley. The boat sits with the keel on the wooden base and adjustable side braces keeping it steady. The trolley is winched up the sloping rails and out of the water without the boat left hanging at any time.

This is much less stressful.

154' Cutter, 4 straps at the bow and stern, 350+ tons.

Attachments

• 20140528_121322.jpg
    20140528_121322.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 20140528_120934.jpg
    20140528_120934.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 20140528_121051.jpg
    20140528_121051.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 103
I'm glad our local boat lift doesn't doesn't rely on those fabric straps.

They use a rail mounted trolley. The boat sits with the keel on the wooden base and adjustable side braces keeping it steady. The trolley is winched up the sloping rails and out of the water without the boat left hanging at any time.

This is much less stressful.

If the straps are in reasonable shape and the crew knows the boat well enough to put them in good places, the risk is minimal. So minimal, few yards have kept their railways in the eastern US.

Plus, pressure washing the boat while hanging a few feet off the ground makes it an easy and comp,ete job.

On a railway with smaller boats with small keels, not so easy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom