Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Matt my friend,
Happy New Years bud! May your keel get wet this year, you've put enough blood sweat and tears in to the mistress.
Cheers bud, John

Hey old mate. Thanks for the well wishes. I hope you have a fantastic 2017 mate. Splashdown is expected to be in Dec 2018 on or around my 40th bday on the 1st Dec

Like he said, mate. Hope all is well, and you're enjoying a wee Xmas season break, before you tear into it again. We are all looking forwards to her getting her bottom wet this coming year.

Have a great New Year, :popcorn:

Hi Peter
Having a little break ATM. Doing a couple of hours here and there but nothing too solid. Letting my joints recover before getting back into it. Hope you have a good 2017

2017 will be great for Matt but pricy for me. I seem to have developed a Tim Tam addiction that's bound to lead to an import license. :)

Haha glad all the Tim Tams I sent over arrived mate. Jen sounded happy on Facebook :). What's your favourite flavour?

The kiddo told me he was sick of hearing it. Turns out every one I try is my favorite. lol thanks mate

Hi all been busily working away on SOLSTICE. Here's some pics from today.

IMG_0028.jpg
IMG_0029.jpg
IMG_0032.jpg
IMG_0034.jpg
IMG_0035.jpg

Matt - Damn glad to see you at it again. Been a bit worried bout cha. Knew you'd be back. Give SOLSTICE a hug for me! Cheers!! - Art

Last edited:
Matt - Damn glad to see you at it again. Been a bit worried bout cha. Knew you'd be back. Give SOLSTICE a hug for me! Cheers!! - Art

Hi mate.
Yeah I've been busy. I had to do some pretty unique hull modifications to the Port side so it was the same as the starboard side. Bit of mucking around to get back on track but I did it. So basically the last couple of weeks I have been getting the flare right. Next week i will re-cut the portholes in the skin and glass the porthole tubes in and start moving forward not sideways etc lol. Just sent a PM and email too [emoji1303]

Last edited:
Hi all. If possible, can i please see some pics of your Sampson posts, anchor bow rollers/capstan/windlass set ups please?

I want to work out how far I need to mount my Sampson Post. I have a Steel post from the underside of the deck to the keel so just need to work out where to fit the deck fitting so I can weld a plate to the steel post.

I've had a look on the forum and can't really see anything to gauge measurements from.... TIA.

IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0074.JPG
IMG_0076.JPG

That second picture looks like Walt's old Halvorsen 32. Always one of my favorite foredeck arrangements. If Mark Pierce does not reply to this in a couple days send him a pm. He has an awesome arrangement and am sure a photograph to spare.

Attachments

• Samson Post, Stopper & Chain.jpg
    Samson Post, Stopper & Chain.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 39
Here's my simple layout Hendo.

Plenty of clearance for the chain stopper.

Not quite enough clearance between Samson Post and windlass for manual operation - discovered that when my hydraulic pump failed with 20m of chain down(!)

One of these days I'll also add a hoop to the second (rope) roller.

Attachments

• DSC04323.jpg
    DSC04323.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC04322.jpg
    DSC04322.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC04327.jpg
    DSC04327.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC04545.jpg
    DSC04545.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 44
That second picture looks like Walt's old Halvorsen 32. Always one of my favorite foredeck arrangements. If Mark Pierce does not reply to this in a couple days send him a pm. He has an awesome arrangement and am sure a photograph to spare.

Yes sir it is. Thanks for the help mate.

Here's my simple layout Hendo.

Plenty of clearance for the chain stopper.

Not quite enough clearance between Samson Post and windlass for manual operation - discovered that when my hydraulic pump failed with 20m of chain down(!)

One of these days I'll also add a hoop to the second (rope) roller.

Thanks mate. Love the original Sampson post mixed in with the new bling. Thanks for the pics mate

Hendo, if you want to see a set-up built like the preverbial brick outhouse, here's mine...sorry about the side-on pics. They are the right way up on the computer - some glitch in the upload or forum software does that. By the way, I no longer use the swivel, and it seems to come up right way round most times without.

Attachments

• Image121.jpg
    Image121.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0069.JPG
    IMG_0069.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0175.jpg
    IMG_0175.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Hendo, if you want to see a set-up built like the preverbial brick outhouse, here's mine...sorry about the side-on pics. They are the right way up on the computer - some glitch in the upload or forum software does that. By the way, I no longer use the swivel, and it seems to come up right way round most times without.

Thanks peter

Thanks Larry. Is it better to run the bollard pins parallel to the anchor chain like you have or to run them in the opposite direction?

I'm not sure it matters? Dock cleats are pretty much parallel to the lines. I think what ever way fits the best will work.

Matt, brother

I don't have photo... but, I've found over the years that low flying "BIG" well fastened cleat or cleats on bow portion work well with keeping lines/chains parallel to chocks. I know they may not be as Purdy as tall standing chrome or shiny ss Sampson post - however, the low flying cleats are less aggravating for shin bruises and for moving things around in the forward bow area. Good for stubbing toes though! :D

I wish I would have incorporated a Sampson post on ours , but this what we
did .I bought three old heavy ass bronze cleats from our own FF . Two for the bow dock lines and one for the anchor .

Attachments

• IMG_0410.jpg
    IMG_0410.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 46

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom