Deadhead encounter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwestby

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Nostra Casa
Vessel Make
C&L Puget Trawler 44
We got close and personal on our cruise to Alaska this last summer with a large vertical log and just wanted to post a picture of the prop damage. Amazingly we put on another 1000 miles and it ran fairly smoothly even with the bent port prop. No shaft damage and just a bit of care needed.
IMG_2289.JPG

It was good you were able to continue your trip and get home with the prop like that. I think the old adage is true for PNW and Alaska that it's not a question of if you're going to hit a log......it's a question of when.

For future reference, the Wrangell boatyard gets high marks from the locals and commercial guys for this sort of thing if you need a haulout in the future.

Why are all props not protected. What is the advantage of an unprotected prop. Keep in mind this question is coming from a newbie.

It was good you were able to continue your trip and get home with the prop like that. I think the old adage is true for PNW and Alaska that it's not a question of if you're going to hit a log......it's a question of when.

For future reference, the Wrangell boatyard gets high marks from the locals and commercial guys for this sort of thing if you need a haulout in the future.

Too true. We did not get credit for the 9,999th log we avoided. Funny you mention Wrangle boat yard as that is where we inspected it in the water with a camera while a great mechanic did some service work there and decided it was not creating any major problems to continue. Great little town and wonderful people. We then proceded to go chew up some ice with the props going up into LaConte glacier. Can't wait to go back.

Why are all props not protected. What is the advantage of an unprotected prop. Keep in mind this question is coming from a newbie.

With twins on a trawler of this design prop protection would be a major hull redesign. You do see some trawlers with twin skegs that provide prop protection and can even sit on the hard without any damage to props. I would say avoidance is the better than hulling around a bunch of drag all of the time. I have been cruising the PNW/BC for the last 20 years and this is the first log I have hit with damage.

We have a twin with unprotected props. We came up the Hudson and west on the Erie Canal in early May last year. There was lots of debris, so much that even though we were keeping a close lookout, we hit many times. We could feel it all the way up on the bridge. On the TSW in Canal Lake the weeds were so thick we almost got stuck, and the day before us a boat did get stuck and had to be towed out. During the thick weeds we felt a strong hit and I knew we had damaged the props. After getting out of Canal Lake we had a bad vibration. Called ahead and scheduled a haul out to swap out the props. We got to Big Chute and in talking to the lock master about the weeds, he said he would check the props when got up out of the water. He said the props looked ok but we still had weeds on the shafts. They went under and cut the weeds off. Vibrations were then gone. Haulout was cancelled and we saved $480 Canadian. This fall after we hauled for the winter, I checked the props and could not find any damage whatsoever. In all I would guess that we hit logs about 15 to 18 times and no damage. So much about twins not having prop protection. We do have a deep keel which undoubtedly helped.

Keel-protected propeller and rudder were in the top three criteria in my choice of a boat.

Last edited:
Sometimes I see deadheads suspended in the water column on my broadband sonar, and always wonder if they are stationary or moving up or down. You are just happy they are below where you are passing through...

Back
Top Bottom