Top heavy/stability?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

psneeld

Guru
Vessel Name
Sold
Vessel Make
Was an Albin/PSN 40
For those that love to judge boats from just a picture....have at it...:D

Attachments

• roseborough.jpg
    roseborough.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 330
Still weighs less than a flybridge :D

Still weighs less than a flybridge :D

Not less than the flybridge ....but probably less than one full of some beer drinkers...:eek:

Quite the leverage arm hoisting that dingy out....wish I saw it in operation.

Sure Psneeld,
That Rosbrough has plenty of weight on a cabin roof that is rather high to begin w but I see they take the engine of the dink. So windage may be a bigger issue than top hamper. Also this boat lacks one (or two) heavy diesels down in the bilge for ballast.

Alot can be told from pictures? It's a little top heavy to be sure but many trawlers are worse off. Now you going to tell me it crossed the Atlantic?

Re the arm psneeld I wish I had it on my boat.

There is a 3.5hp Mercury up on the cabin roof.

I have an arm that looks just like it. I wouldn't know or be able to get the dingy in and out of the water without it!

I missed something earlier .. It look somewhat overloaded.

OB on the roof? Don't see it. You must have a manifest.

Lower away Donna, but hauling them back up can be a chore.

Manifest?

I have the original picture...but if you blow it up a bit you can even see the owner waving at you.... :D

Manifest ... List of stuff onboard. Just kidding above.

Owner waving .... Oh I see .. inside the cabin. I can see that w my i-pad. I'll make the assumption re the owner.

Does the owner know you're posting a picture of his boat and inviting criticism of same?
I know he's posted here before so must be a member.

Last edited:
For those that love to judge boats from just a picture....have at it...:D

I won't. But in your experience, how often does stability play a role in incidents pertaining to recreational vessels? For commercial fishing vessels, it's probably the number one cause of capsizes, at least up here in Canada.

Who is criticizing?

I was leaving that for the internet picture gazing gurus. I just asked a question and provided something for others eager to do so. :D

And in todays world...does anyone go outside and not be expected to be photographed by someone?

Heck I've been in Google earth at least 2X from what I know. :eek:

Last edited:
We used to have one of those Rosboroughs. Actually is great boat. We kept the dinghy on top, but had a way to flip the dinghy onto the roof without that ugly crane. We have cruised with several other Rosboroughs with all that gear on top. Seems a bit much to me, but none of or friends have gotten into trouble with it yet.

Imminent capsize risk! Rollover alert!!

[emoji23]

It all depends...you could zip from one protected area to another on calm days and explore by dinghy or go hiking on rough days. Maybe they hoist the dinghy in marinas and tow it in open water. Maybe they stick to lakes.

I missed something earlier .. It look somewhat overloaded.

OB on the roof? Don't see it. You must have a manifest.

Lower away Donna, but hauling them back up can be a chore.

Actually it isn't bad. I have had it in and out of the water to use it for painting the stripe on the boat. :thumb:

Best I can, I see the crane tube just attached to the edge of the FB deck. Is that good enough to lift the dinghy, cantilevered out on the jib? Must be a strong FB deck, or is there attachment support I can`t see?
Interested as I`ve a St Croix crane to fit to my FB, and concerned about adequate support.

Quite the leverage arm hoisting that dingy out....wish I saw it in operation.

Good observation. Just today I purchased a used 10 foot RIB. It is to replace the current 7 foot flat bottom inflatable which the wife finds a bit uncomfortable with two and a 2 hp Honda. I have the current one on the cabin top mounted on the railings. While this new purchase would and could mount on the swim step with Davis mounts, I'd like to mount it on top as current. However where I can man handle the 7 footer easy, a RIB not so much. So I have mentally designed a manual telescoping hoist on the mast part to rich higher than the handrail when required and lay level with the handrail when in storage, and a manual arm that would employ a removable support strut to maintain the arm in a set degree angle to allow clearance of the hand rail.
Too, in order to keep this project simple as the design, employ a hand powered winch. I suspect the need for a double block system to ease the lifting of said 10' RIB. As I have several 6 hp Evenrudes from day of yore in the inventory that is what will power this new acquisition.This OB would mount on the cockpit railing when not employed. So the hoist on this rig does hold interest. I did not view the winch used on this one and question if the mast which appears telescopic is. Could the OP advise? I would assume the base of the mast is secured to the floor or side of the cockpit area. Correct?
Thanks,
Al-Ketchikan

Last edited:
Best I can, I see the crane tube just attached to the edge of the FB deck. Is that good enough to lift the dinghy, cantilevered out on the jib? Must be a strong FB deck, or is there attachment support I can`t see?
Interested as I`ve a St Croix crane to fit to my FB, and concerned about adequate support.

I never got up close...this doesn't show squat but that might be a clue that it is a simple bracket bolted onto the cabin top.

Attachments

• top heavy - Copy.jpg
    top heavy - Copy.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 121

Bruce, Look again, the mast extends down through the side curtain into the cockpit. As I asked, the assumption would be a bottom mounted with a plate to the deck or a collar to the side of the cockpit.
Sure hope this is a member and will respond.

Al-Ketchikan

Thanks Al, I can see the tube disappearing behind the cover, rather than terminating in mid air. I prefer avoiding tube support to the lower deck for the St Croix to go on the FB, lifting a 30kg inflatable.

Thanks Al, I can see the tube disappearing behind the cover, rather than terminating in mid air. I prefer avoiding tube support to the lower deck for the St Croix to go on the FB, lifting a 30kg inflatable.

"avoiding"?? Maybe, but a butt plate to the cabin top taking all the weight and counter weight as the boat swings out overboard is asking a bit. Would rather share the weight to a brace on the top as this one displays, and the rest straight down to the lower deck via a fair size butt plate. I believe a 10'RIB will exceed 30kg (66#) more like over 100 plus # without OB. (Somebody offer confirmation on weight?)

Al-Ketchikan

Al, I checked my inflatable weight,a 2.6M dinghy, not a RIB, 30kg. I won`t be lifting the outboard on it, just the dinghy.
Plan is to have top and bottom plates bolted through the FB, with a right angle turn down of the inside edge of the underneath plate, to butt and attach it to an adjacent longitudinal timber beam(?) as well. The mast tube also gets support on an upright tube of the railings, St Croix designs it to do that,and supplies the attachment brackets. Crane is rated for 200lbs, but I understand the need for a good sound mounting.
The guy making the underneath plate is a cautious marina neighbour/engineer, who I think knows his stuff. We will check for deflection etc as we load it up, before putting it into service.

Not a FB deck as no FB.
The crane mast is actually not attached to the roof but to the aft cockpit cover. So the lateral loads go through the attaching devices to the roof. A weak link I'm thinking.

See avatar and photo. I launched 11' inflatable and reached down 8 hp o/b off sundeck railing. Hauled em back up by hand too. Don't need no mechanical lifts! :thumb:

Attachments

• TO in Delta Slip 100_0416.JPG
    TO in Delta Slip 100_0416.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 60
See avatar and photo. I launched 11' inflatable and reached down 8 hp o/b off sundeck railing. Hauled em back up by hand too. Don't need no mechanical lifts! :thumb:

Yep Art, much as we have it now relating to handling the boat. Easy to haul it up to the top side. Muscle is not the issue.
the 2hp Honda is mounted on the cockpit rail. Sea kindly hull with stability the tubes and hull of a RIB provide with fixed bottom for rocky beaches are two of the more desirable goals. With a near 10' beam on the stern, placing this RIB in Davis mounts may end up being the better result. Were that the choice, I fortunately, have on had said mounts for an inflatable.
We will continue to stow the OB as stated on the aft cockpit railing.
Regards,
Al-Ketchikan

Yep. nothing better than a pinched nerve or worse out on a cruise.

Several days of misery with possibly no one else to get the boat to a safe harbor that has adequate medical.

I am sure there are strong, tough people cruising out there....so am (was) I.

Like is always said on TF whether true or not....is it worth the gamble?

Not for me anymore....I have learned the superman syndrome crashes everyone sooner or later....for me...better off not on a cruise.

For $300 I devised my solution.....ingenuity beats muscle most every time.

Last edited:
Yep. nothing better than a pinched nerve or worse out on a cruise.

Several days of misery with possibly no one else to get the boat to a safe harbor that has adequate medical.

I am sure there are strong, tough people cruising out there....so am (was) I.

Like is always said on TF whether true or not....is it worth the gamble?

Not for me anymore....I have learned the superman syndrome crashes everyone sooner or later....for me...better off not on a cruise.

For $300 I devised my solution.....ingenuity beats muscle most every time.

I call them "He-Man" moments...
I've had a number of them in life and none were much fun.
I am learning (although slowly...) to think twice before lifting things that I could easily handle just a few years ago.
Just last year, while getting ready for an Airstream trip I was lifting a 145 pound Honda generator into the bed of our truck when I got the lightning bolt of you-shouldn't-be-doing-that-anymore down my leg...
It took months to recover from that!
We did trade that lovely generator in on 2 smaller units that are much easier to handle...
Bruce

For me, it was lifting our struggling 120-lb Ridgeback up onto our sun deck from a low fixed dock at low tide. Hello, Mr. rotator cuff! Two years ago, this was no problem. Ain't "middle age" wonderful?

To quote some wise person, "getting older is not for sissies".

Old age is earned.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom