Raymarine radar and autopilot advice for newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbernbuck

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Finale
Vessel Make
Rosborough RF246 Custom Pilothouse 2000
Thanks everyone, always great info here:
I've been offered a radar and autopilot that was a takeoff from another vessel. All the components are said to be working prior to removal. Attractive price. Consists of:
Raymarine RL80C display and 18" radome, ST6001+ autopilot display E12091 control computer, compass, rudder, ST600R remote and type 1 12V pump.
Really more interested in the autopilot than anything else, that said I know these are older units and I would be limited on testing prior to installing. Is there still folks out there repairing these if there is a problem? What to look for? Seems to be quite a few of these parts listed on ebay.

Best way to determine the current level of support would be to call Raymarine directly. The tech people are pretty frank on the subject..
Bruce

I have essentially the same system (a RL70C but everything else the same) on my boat. It is a good, solid system. I suspect that Raymarine doesn't support them anymore with repairs, but replacement components are available on eBay as you note.

When a rudder indicator went out on may system few years ago, my local Raymarine dealer had a used one in stock and replaced my bad one for a $100.

If the price is good, I would install it on my boat if I were you.

David

I had a good experience with Dan Gerhardt who does "Autopilot Repair Buy & Sell".
His e-mail address: c250@mydurango.net. A couple of years ago he replaced a non-functioning ST 4000 control head at a reasonable price.

If the stuff works & you don't mind expending a little install labor, by all means,use it. The price is right! Raymarine doesn't service the RL80 or the radar any longer but it does do a good job of painting targets. Likewise with the S2 (E12091) pilot corepack , there's no support but that model is a decent one except the internal rate compass is prone to failure. The pump is capable of working lots of different brands of pilots so you'll be set if (when) it's time to upgrade.

Newbern, I thought you were going to get it given to you until I reread. I'm not sure what you consider an attractive price but I wouldn't pay too much for the package because it is all discontinued equipment. IMHO, $350-$400 would be a good deal,if it all works.

How do you figure a type1 is too small, Barnacle? It's absolutely the correct pump for his application plus it's the pump that particular course computer is rated for.

How do you figure a type1 is too small, Barnacle? It's absolutely the correct pump for his application plus it's the pump that particular course computer is rated for.

Normally, the starting point for pump sizing is the size and type/speed of the vessel. This then sets the cylinder size, then the pumping rate and then the pump size. Type of desired pump then comes into play. Not sure the course computer determines pump sizing at all.

Anyway, once the system components are clean sheet determined, the OP can ascertain if the used AP is a match for his vessel and existing steering system.

My boat came with pretty much exactly what the OP is considering buying. It is good solid equipment, but just be aware that Ray doesn't service the autopilot anymore, and I doubt they service any of the other equipment as well.
My ST6001 series autopilot went out on our journey up the ICW and Ray wouldn't touch it. When I inquired about replacing just the autopilot which is the only thing that failed they said their replacement head was incompatible with my current course computer and heading sensor.
I had the ST6001 head repaired about a year before it went out by a guy on the internet. The issue that time was the display and he did a good job fixing it. But it only lasted a year before it failed completely.

The RL80C is a good radar and plotter and I sold it to a guy here on Trawler forum after replacing it with my current E90W. Current equipment has more functionality like video, and AIS display but the radar return on the RL80C is solid. Also as to the plotter function you will need to get chart cards for the area you cruise. Current equip has for the most part done away with that need.

My RL70C radar went out after 6 years. This was 2010 during height of Ray's financial meltdown. At that time Raymarine stated they had discontinued servicing the units. Water intrusion into head and circuit board failure was local tech's analysis. Yes, it rains out there.

Thanks all, I'm going to be able to take everything home to look at closely before buying. Will hook up displays up to 12 volts to at least see if the displays light up. Looks like I can test compass and rudder unit with multimeter.
I do appreciate all your input.

Normally, the starting point for pump sizing is the size and type/speed of the vessel. This then sets the cylinder size, then the pumping rate and then the pump size. Type of desired pump then comes into play. Not sure the course computer determines pump sizing at all.

Anyway, once the system components are clean sheet determined, the OP can ascertain if the used AP is a match for his vessel and existing steering system.

Thats right. The pump is sized to the steering cylinder, not the CC. Raymarines CC will run both the type 1 and 2.

The type 1 might be stout enough to make the rudder(s) turn sitting still but add prop thrust and it might not flow enough fluid to get the rudder(s) to turn fast enough, or at all).

heres their chart...
Raymarine Smartpilot - Drive Unit Selection

The pumps the right size and as noted previously, is pretty much universal for all autopilots. They are not cheap so if it works there is plenty of value in just that component.

If you fire up the radar be sure you're clear of the dome, no need to burn any brain cells without using alcohol

:socool:

First off, Welcome Newburnbuck! Glad you are here.

My boat had Raytheon (now Raymarine) radar, chart plotter, and depth sounder. This was the original equipment on my boat in 1988. All worked good, but I decided to upgrade. The reason were many, but I wanted up-to-date electronics. I must say the old Raytheon radar has a simplicity to it.

But remember this with along all the other advice given here from TF to include technical support from Raymarine. You get what you pay for. If it is cheap there is a reason the seller is selling it.

Again Welcome to TF

The one time that a pump might be limited is because of the CC.

My setup has the pump running directly from the CC which is a ST5000+ head....there is no true CC, just a control head which is dual purpose.

One might allow that the pump flow might be low that the response setting must usually be run on high...but so what if it works? I am pretty sure the pump/ram combo will rarely if never be not strong enough, just flow limited.

In a perfect world everything is measured out correctly...but sometimes people will accept a lesser performance to make things work or stay within budget.

Raymarine RL80C display and 18" radome, ST6001+ autopilot display E12091 control computer, compass, rudder, ST600R remote and type 1 12V pump.
Really more interested in the autopilot than anything else, that said I know these are older units and I would be limited on testing prior to installing. Is there still folks out there repairing these if there is a problem? What to look for? Seems to be quite a few of these parts listed on ebay.

I estimate the value of radar set to be $500 if cable is included; autopilot set to be $1250.
Add another $500 for misc cabling and hydraulic lines, $250 for solenoid bypass valve, $250 for hyd cylinder.
You will need to build a substantial structure opposite the quadrant to hold the cylinder.
Repair of any component is by ebay replacement.

(I can give you stats for checking rudder ref and fluxgate if you need them)

-gary

Gary, I'm pretty sure the OP's boat has hydraulic steering so all he would need is the tubing & fittings to plumb the pump into the steering lines.

Us the RL80 for JUST the radar display. For a chart plotter get something newer. The RL series is not very intuitive to learn (That is putting it mild). If you want a low end price but a great chart plotter get the Garmin 740. It will drive your autopilot via NEMA output, as most will.

Pgitug, my thoughts exactly. I already had a garmin 742 on flybridge where I normally steer. I did buy all of it and if I do install the radar eventually that would be below.
Thanks

Pgitug, my thoughts exactly. I already had a garmin 742 on flybridge where I normally steer. I did buy all of it and if I do install the radar eventually that would be below.
Thanks

Keep in mind the document harmful effects of marine radar transmissions. Understand the beam angle and mount the unit so you will not be standing in the path of the beam while operating your vessel.

Buck, call Pete here in Oriental. He sells Raymarine and repairs others. I am sure he would give you an opinion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom