Canvas Materials, canvas protection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Martin J

Guru
Vessel Name
Artemis
Vessel Make
Cheoy Lee 67
So having a Cheoy Lee with acres of varnish and in the caribbean, it's time to deal with it.
I need to make varnish covers for the hand rails , coamings, etal.
The quandry is Material? I would appreciate members suggestions for the cloth etc. I have a old steel frame singer I've used for all sorts before , so the machine is no problem. but alas I'm not up on the newer materials, so, any suggestions for easly sewn soft varnish covering materials would be grateful received.
If you look at my avatar you can see the acres of varnish!

Sunbrella is what I've used, cuz it works well. Granted, I'm in the PNW, but the stuff holds up well. For you, maybe 8-10 years with minimal maintenance.

Cheers

Martin
Take a look at Rochford Supply

I often buy from their seconds / close-outs for misc small jobs - and some larger ones. I have been pleased w/ their Top Notch and the seconds price is hard to beat if any of the colors work for you.
Rochford will send you a few samples - I believe for the postage $ but not positive

You might find some worthwhile info in DIY Canvas Tips...

Bes ure to keep us posted & post some pics in DIY Canvas - Show off your project when completed

I'll second the Sunbrella marine grade.:thumb:
It's also available online (Amazon.com) if there is no retailer near you.

Sounds like you're going to sew your own, so Sunbrella is a good choice. Light and easy to work with. I use to sew mine with a Singer portable and carpet thread. Double over the edge material and iron in nice straight edges with an electric iron, but not too hot. The Sunbrella will hold the crease while you stitch it.

My little Singer worked great until I decided I wanted to use heavier sun resistant thread and sew on borders, bindings and reinforcement material. Upgraded to a Sailrite LSZ-1. Pretty heavy machine, but what a difference in the finished product. (Neat demo video below)

Sailrite Ultrafeed® LS-1 BASIC Walking Foot Sewing Machine - Sailrite

Last edited:
Sunbrella is our fabric of choice; cost, ease of use, and availabilty all seem to fit our needs well. Sailrite has been really helpful if we have any LS-1 issues, & TF has been informative as well.

Sunbrella--yes but recommend you avoid white. Also recommend that you consider using Velcro to hold the pieces together

Sunbrella--yes but recommend you avoid white. Also recommend that you consider using Velcro to hold the pieces together

Thanks for the imput , But why avoid white? Boats in the Carbbean so need to have a light as possible colour.

Darker colors hold up better to the UV.

Thanks for the imput , But why avoid white? Boats in the Carbbean so need to have a light as possible colour.

I am in the process of replacing white Sunbrella with new black Sunbrella for a friend. I made his original canvas although I am NOT in the canvas fabrication business.

His canvas is covered with mold spots that are VERY VISIBLE and it looks horrible. Sure canvas will eventually develop mold but you are most likely not going to see it with darker fabrics. And white will show dirt, all of it.

But .... the choice is yours :flowers:

I use Sunbrella Cadet Gray almost exclusively. It reflects more heat than a darker color and does not show the dirt like white will. Also, Glen Raven makes all the "accessories" in Cadet Gray, by that I mean binding tape, facing and also Sunbrella Strap. The strap is a webbing made from sunbrella and does not die in the sun like nylon or polyester webbing does. Gray also goes with almost any color scheme. You can also get cadet gray in 80" width.

I use Sunbrella Cadet Gray almost exclusively. It reflects more heat than a darker color and does not show the dirt like white will. Also, Glen Raven makes all the "accessories" in Cadet Gray, by that I mean binding tape, facing and also Sunbrella Strap. The strap is a webbing made from sunbrella and does not die in the sun like nylon or polyester webbing does. Gray also goes with almost any color scheme. You can also get cadet gray in 80" width.

Just a comment on binding tape. I found that stuff to be a giant PITA! I no longer use the stuff. Properly folding the fabric eliminates my need for it.

Lots of good comments here. I'd like to add that Gore Tex thread lasts a whole lot longer than standard nylon thread. In my experience, the canvas shops who care to use this material are the most concerned about product quality. We live Chesapeake to FL and our canvass gets a lot of UV. Standard nylon only seems to last 5 years. Gore Tex lasts a lot longer.

Lots of good comments here. I'd like to add that Gore Tex thread lasts a whole lot longer than standard nylon thread. In my experience, the canvas shops who care to use this material are the most concerned about product quality. We live Chesapeake to FL and our canvass gets a lot of UV. Standard nylon only seems to last 5 years. Gore Tex lasts a lot longer.

More comments--- SHOULD NOT use nylon outside, at least use polyester! I use #92 polyester coated which works well for my satisfaction. And yes Gore stuff will last much longer IF you wish to sew with the stuff. I mention sewing only because the thread size (if I remember correctly) is either 120 or even 130. I find sewing with 120 almost as if I was sewing with string but again that is just my feelings.

Now as to polyester life and again at least the way I view things.... Poly far out lasts my vinyl. So when I replace the vinyl I just spend a few extra minutes to resew over the old thread and it does not take much time.

If White is the preferred color then I highly recommend Stamoid. Cleans really well. Extremely mold resistant. I'm on season 18 up here in the North and am now just thinking of replacing it.

If White is the preferred color then I highly recommend Stamoid. Cleans really well. Extremely mold resistant. I'm on season 18 up here in the North and am now just thinking of replacing it.

WOW! Good for you :thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom