Hot head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mgdavis

Veteran Member
During the years and a half the Adrmiral and I have owned our PT38 one of the pending projects has been figuring out how to keep the head warm. The Espar furnace has outlets in the salon and the master's stateroom, but not enough heat bleeds over to keep midnight head calls from being very brisk on a cold night. We were looking at convection space heaters that could be well mounted, but they all had significant mass that would have required drilling and installing screws to anchor on the wall. There is also not a great deal of flat wall space in our head to accomodate mounting a 12 or 14 inch square heater.

During a trip to Home Depot a display featuring the Handy Heater caught my eye. It is a 350 watt forced air space heater that simply hangs from the wall outlet. There is a digital temperature control for 60-90 degrees F and an on/off rocker switch. The Admiral had it going yesterday (36 degrees outside), and reported that it "worked great".

If anyone else is looking for a compact, low-draw heater for a small space I'd recommend checking out the Handy Heater.
-Mike

Cool. Or more accurately, Warm.

I'll find a use for one of those some day, now that I know they exist.

Here's a link if anyone wants to see what it looks like.

Not sure of your boats layout but I assume you have a forced air system rather than hydronic.

I would look at seeing if you Tee into one of the hot air hoses and run a smaller diameter hose to the head. We did this on our sailboat and it made a huge difference. I would. To want to rely on an electric heater due to the power drain overnight.

The specs say that little heater draws 60 amps.

Not sure of your boats layout but I assume you have a forced air system rather than hydronic.

I would look at seeing if you Tee into one of the hot air hoses and run a smaller diameter hose to the head. We did this on our sailboat and it made a huge difference. I would. To want to rely on an electric heater due to the power drain overnight.

That is a good idea for nights spent out. For us, most of our nights aboard are spent in our own slip with shore power connected. I'll look into the feasibility of adding another piece of ducting in the future.

Based on the reviews, I'd say no. I'd run a hose from the other areas. I also don't like the idea of it hanging from a plug. Underway that sounds risky.

The additional ducting is a good solution if you already have ducted heat. We tapped into the heater from the adjoining cabin and it keeps that head toasty. 20170108_135558.jpg

Bill

Probably someone inserted 60 hz in the amp rating. It should be closer to 3 amp as mentioned in post#7

is it not possible to import additional piping tube espren y part of it and to direct it to the desired target. for example, the tube inside the wardrobe and ejection from there

images

is it not possible to import additional piping tube espren y part of it and to direct it to the desired target. for example, the tube inside the wardrobe and ejection from there

images
That's exactly how I added heat to the head in our last boat, a Camano Troll. I used the parts you show, with the "Y" in the tube that went to the V berth. Worked great.

The plumbing of the hot air ducting will not be especially straight forward with our layout. The important takeaway here is that it was a simple, inexpensive solution that keeps us happy dockside. I'm not trying to solve the world's problems by plugging in a $20 space heater.

We have two outlets for our forced air Wabasto. One aft in the salon and the other very low in the fwd cabin. The door for the head is in our garage at home and the hot air in the fwd cabin goes about 60% into the berth area and about 40% into the head.
No cold head when the Wabasto is on.

Space heaters can be dangerous.....

They can also be perfectly safe.

Use your head and give one a try.

If it is UL approved, I woud not worry, I would just be careful because of the application.

Sure there are better long term solutions, big deal till you get to them...if ever. :)

I would focus on getting an insulated toilet seat (if standing can't solve the problem). I have noticed on the show "Buying Alaska", that the better outhouses have styrofoam seats, presumably for that reason.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom