Pining for warmer weather...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Guru
As I age, I like winter less and less! Oh, I do love the first snow storm of the season but the cleanup...not so much!
What did you do today? this was a small part of my morning!
Bruce

I have a fully covered patio with bbq, wood oven and outside kitchen (kitchen used only in summer of course) so I do not need to clean to use them. But of I need to clean snow everywhere else!
Few years ago I found that to be really tedious but now it is like doing some sport. Of course I would prefer not to do it but that is fine. The only thing I hate is freezing rain, we had twice in the last 2 weeks and last week we got 1 inch of ice everywhere. This is very annoying.

I have a fully covered patio with bbq, wood oven and outside kitchen (kitchen used only in summer of course) so I do not need to clean to use them. But of I need to clean snow everywhere else!
Few years ago I found that to be really tedious but now it is like doing some sport. Of course I would prefer not to do it but that is fine. The only thing I hate is freezing rain, we had twice in the last 2 weeks and last week we got 1 inch of ice everywhere. This is very annoying.

Winter is becoming very annoying...
Bruce

Wus...

Next time it snows 7' in two days I'll give you a call to help shovel :thumb:

Attachments

• neighbours house & snow.jpg
    neighbours house & snow.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 146
Here we will get snow storm for the next 4 days, and we already got 40 to 50cm last week. This winter looks to be a good (or bad) one! Sometime we wish to be south but sometimes we think we may miss the scenery of a frozen landscape covered with immaculate white snow. It would be great to invent warm snow :)

Hi Bruce,

Our purchase of the AT-34 just went firm, and will close the end of this month. :) As for winter, I echo your sentiment. I turn 66 in 4 days, and this will be my last summer in snow ... next fall we will marry up with the boat in Georgia and head for the Keys. I never want to lay eyes on another snowflake or patch of ice!

David

You guys are tough no doubt, dealing with the cold, ice and snow But I have met so many northerners who, when they move down here to the Gulf Coast, tell me they get much colder when we get a freezing day or even a week from time to time, than they ever felt up north. LOL. When we do get a hard freeze down here, it practically paralyzes us as we are not used to that stuff down here.

Hi Bruce,

Our purchase of the AT-34 just went firm, and will close the end of this month. :) As for winter, I echo your sentiment. I turn 66 in 4 days, and this will be my last summer in snow ... next fall we will marry up with the boat in Georgia and head for the Keys. I never want to lay eyes on another snowflake or patch of ice!

David

Congratulations David!
Maybe by next winter we will have ours back on the east coast and we can join you.
Here's to warm waters in January.
Which 34 did you get? Is it still on Yachtworld?
Bruce

You guys are tough no doubt, dealing with the cold, ice and snow But I have met so many northerners who, when they move down here to the Gulf Coast, tell me they get much colder when we get a freezing day or even a week from time to time, than they ever felt up north. LOL. When we do get a hard freeze down here, it practically paralyzes us as we are not used to that stuff down here.

I think it has something to do with the humidity...
We are typically 10 degrees warmer than my mothers home in MA and it almost always feels colder here on the coast.
It was about 20 degrees Fahrenheit here today but dry. It was beautiful out!
Bruce

Well, sorry pal, you live in Yankeeville by choice. If you had sanity, you would move to FL like the other snowbirds.:rofl:

Our answer is to live here in the more temperate months and scoot south as the weather turns bitter.
Florida has some real beauty that we have experienced traveling in our Airstream Bambi. Maybe someday we will elect to live there and do our boating in the NE in the summer???
Bruce

Maybe someday we will elect to live there and do our boating in the NE in the summer???
Bruce

That's what I did. :thumb: Leave FL sometime in April; return (cross the FL line) December 1st. If you stay out till December 1st, the insurance rates are substantially lower.

Ted

It's in the 20's right now in NC. Going down to 17F tonight.

I'm not happy.

Congratulations David!
Maybe by next winter we will have ours back on the east coast and we can join you.
Here's to warm waters in January.
Which 34 did you get? Is it still on Yachtworld?
Bruce

We bought Jenna Star (red hull) - you can still see her on Yachtworld. She is in nice shape - sailed through the survey. Original owners ... nice folks who after 13 years with her are taking to roads by RV. At the end of Jan we move her from Punta Gorda to St. Marys GA then haul her for 6 months (to avoid FL sales tax). Hope to rename her "Whiskeyjack" which is a Canadian bird, also known as the Canada Jay.

David

We bought Jenna Star (red hull) - you can still see her on Yachtworld. She is in nice shape - sailed through the survey. Original owners ... nice folks who after 13 years with her are taking to roads by RV. At the end of Jan we move her from Punta Gorda to St. Marys GA then haul her for 6 months (to avoid FL sales tax). Hope to rename her "Whiskeyjack" which is a Canadian bird, also known as the Canada Jay.

David

Very nice!
You should join the American Tug Owners Group at Big Tent (bigtent.com) it is a closed group.
Bruce

I'm not happy.

Have a good glass of wine and be happy! Just think about the wonderful sunny days coming in... few months and keep smiling :flowers:

I'm not happy

Wus ;)

Douglas Channel

STORM WARNING IN EFFECT
FREEZING SPRAY WARNING IN EFFECT

Issued 04:00 PM PST 08 January 2017
Tonight and Monday
Storm warning in effect.
Wind northeasterly outflow 50 to 60 knots diminishing to northeasterly outflow 40 to 50 near midnight.

Currently -10C (14F) and gusting to 40 knots.

Winter In Florida. IMG_1290.jpg

Murray it seems that there are a whole bunch of Canadians down in Arizona... probably down there because the water tastes so good...:):):)

-38C this morning at work. Bit of a breeze took it into the mid -40s.

We try not to work outside for more than 40 minutes at a time in those conditions.

I don't miss it when I leave.

Murray it seems that there are a whole bunch of Canadians down in Arizona... probably down there because the water tastes so good...:):):)

Ya...probably some of those weenies who live all cuddled up just above the US border. Real hairy chested Canadians like Northern Spy and I not only tough it out...we enjoy it :D

Real hairy chested Canadians like Northern Spy and I not only tough it out...we enjoy it :D

Well, it beats mud and bug weather.

I do like extremes in my weather. Pouring rain, hurricane force winds, super cold, and viscous electrical storms. Except for heat. Don't like hot. You can always put more on when it's cold, but once you're nekkid, you're still hot, and your not allowed in public anymore.

Back
Top Bottom