View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 01:31 PM   #3
Xsbank
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Lots of postings here about leaking Taiwanese trawlers. They are beautiful inside and out and very appealing but they are very much a honey trap. Unless you plan to repair it yourself, I would plan on at least doubling the purchase cost if you are willing to repair the leaks (only one area of maintenance on an old boat like crap plumbing, wiring fuel systems etc. "properly." If you want to use paint and tape and patches, it's a good price. The problem is, if you don't stop the rot, it will essentially consume the boat or you with all the nasty mould diseases you yourself can get. Also, if there is a leak under this area, there will be leaks in other areas too. Plan on reefing out all the "wood" (some builders used scrap or old pallets or packing cases in there) in a large area of the deck and most likely in the cabin walls. Plan on throwing away or replacing all the teak decking and removing, repairing and rebedding all of the windows. Plan on painting the discoloured, beautiful teak panelling.

Lie on the front bunk and look under the deck overhang - if it's wet or discoloured or you can smell mould/rot when you first enter the cabin, big money. If you meet a broker on the boat, get there before he does and don't let him air it out before you arrive! Old Taiwanese trick!

There is a reason it was donated to the charity... I would also like to add, after re-reading the previous posts, that I don't think the resale price, amount of work to be done, time wasted fixing it allows any room. I think this boat is essentially valueless.