Marine Toilet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KEVMAR

Vessel Name
Delphina
Vessel Make
President 43
I am thinking of either converting my manual toilet to an electric one or getting a new electric toilet ... looking at the new Jabsco lite flush with control panel??? any suggestions or thoughts Thank you
Kevin g
new bern NC

I think the Raritan Marine Elegance is considered the "best" head available. I considered an "upgrade" as you are doing but decided I can just continue to pump the cheap standard Jabsco and save the money and installation headaches.

If we are in a marina, we usually use the marina heads.

I converted my manual by putting a plate where the hand pump was, replacing the clean out plug with an elbow and placing a macerator pump below deck.

The salt water flush is a 12v solenoid hooked to the saltwater wash down system.

I think the Raritan Marine Elegance is considered the "best" head available. I considered an "upgrade" as you are doing but decided I can just continue to pump the cheap standard Jabsco and save the money and installation headaches.

Second here to recommend the Elegance plus highly recommend fresh water flush. We have two Raritan heads on our boat but only one is an Elegance. Wish this model was available when I purchased the first some ten or so years ago.

BUT!!!! If you purchase an Elegance.........BE SURE TO UNDERSTAND WHICH MODEL YOU ARE PURCHASING. When Raritan first introduced this marine toilet they targeted the sailboat market where many sailboat toilets sit on a raised platform. That model is too low at least for us. So unless you have a raised platform where you would place the toilet, I believe you would find the taller (14"????) a better choice. One more comment-- RAritan offers a microprocessor flush panel that adds big bucks to the purchase. I have never been able to understand why anybody would need a microprocessor control to flush a toilet! So save the big bucks, use a switch.

Last edited:
One more comment-- RAritan offers a microprocessor flush panel that adds big bucks to the purchase. I have never been able to understand why anybody would need a microprocessor control to flush a toilet! So save the big bucks, use a switch.

The microprocessor you are looking at here is probably the control panel for the Raritan ElectroSan head treatment system.

Last edited by a moderator:
One more comment-- RAritan offers a microprocessor flush panel that adds big bucks to the purchase. I have never been able to understand why anybody would need a microprocessor control to flush a toilet! So save the big bucks, use a switch.

The microprocessor you are looking at here is probably the control panel for the Raritan ElectroSan head treatment system.

I think it actually controls the toilet. This is a vacuum flush head but unlike the Vacuflush, the vacuum generator is built in, not separate.

If I remember correctly, there are three different "levels" of the Excellence head. The highest level having the computerized controls.

Of course, all this could be cleared up by just looking it up on the Internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know of a manufacturer that offers toilet/bidet combo systems like those used in homes?
We have those at home, and must admit we're spoiled by them.

The jabsco lite flush. is a piece of junk an unreliable. I had 3 of them and could not keep belts or bearings on the drive. Save yourself the trouble did not buy one

The Raritan Marine Elegance is the top rated macerating electric toilet. It has always been available in both a short and a tall version, either one with straight or slanted back and two colors--white and bone. They all work the same way...no different "levels"...no "micro-processors" either. However, there are 3 flush options available: a simple push button switch, one that provides the ability to control flush water and discharge independently, and the "Smart Flush" Panel which provides four flush options--add water to the bowl ahead of flush, dry flush, low water flush and "full" flush. That much control over flush water can increase the number of flushes a tank can hold by 25% or even more.

It's a macerating electric toilet with a pump that Raritan calls a "vortex-vac," but it is not a vacuum flush toilet...it has a powerful pump which creates a vortex that pulls the flush out of the toilet. It also has a "grinder" (much too robust to call just a "macerator") that can even chew up an occasional paper towel--but NOT wet wipes!! The Elegance is designed to use onboard pressurized fresh water, but with the addition of a remote intake pump it can use sea water...in fact, with the addition of Raritan's "SeaFresh" system, you can even choose between fresh and sea water at will. The Despite all this, it's still the quietest macerating electric toilet on the planet!

And it's made in the US. All Jabsco equipment sold in the US is now made in Mexico with parts and components sourced from China and other Asian providers.

Raritan's website is undergoing extensive redesign...the promo sheet and other useful literature isn't currently available and, except for the owners manual, what is there now is confusing at best. The owners manual should help to clear up all the misinformation y'all have posted...it's here: Raritan Marine Elegance Owners Manual

Last time I looked, HopCar had it for the best price I've seen anywhere.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Last edited:
I also second the recommendation of Raritan's Elegance. I do not recall thinking about the height issue mentioned above. What came out was a Raritan PH II, sitting on the boat's original toilet base.

What makes the thing 'elegant' is the way that all the components are concealed within its ceramic shell. This naturally makes connections a bit more interesting and no doubt will make servicing more problematical.

The bowl and seat is the same size as a residential toilet. Worry the dimensions and clearances carefully. Our head door clears the seat by 1/4" (the PH II seat cleared by about 3" but the pump handle had to be up to allow the door to open or to stay open). I used the slanted back version; it cleared the hull.

All connections are intended to be made "straight down" behind the toilet. In our boat, straight down means intersecting with the hull. Rather than build a bump onto the exterior of the hull, I went to a certain amount of trouble to lead the connections horizontally behind and angled to the right concealed by casework. Raritan does not sell the pieces necessary to do this neatly and I ended up making/modifying fittings (successfully). Since the original base was rotted and ugly, I made a new one of sheet fiberglass, painted.

The control panel is indeed just for the toilet and contents sensor in the holding tank. Fresh or sea water, amount of water in the bowl, light- or heavy-duty flush.

I have lots of pics in my posts from last July/August.

Last edited:
I also like the Marine Elegance head. There are also two versions, one with a slanted back on the base and one with a straight back. Generally the slanted back bases are for sailboats. Most power boats have a vertical bulkhead that the head is next to. I do like the smart flush option. It can save some water.

I am thinking of either converting my manual toilet to an electric one or getting a new electric toilet ... looking at the new Jabsco lite flush with control panel??? any suggestions or thoughts Thank you
Kevin g
new bern NC

There is quite a bit of information in the TF reference section on electric toilets. Make yourself a coffee and trawl through the related threads.Mind you Peggy is the acknowledged expert in this field.

If you do consider the bidet attachment, you should check the voltage. I suspect the ones referenced are not 12V, and from the UK, may even be 220V.

If you do consider the bidet attachment, you should check the voltage. I suspect the ones referenced are not 12V, and from the UK, may even be 220V.

According to the specifications, it's available in 120v. But seems to me that with a little ingenuity you could prob'ly jury rig a hand held shower head to wash your fanny for a fraction of the price.:whistling:

The Raritan Marine Elegance is the top rated macerating electric toilet. It has always been available in both a short and a tall version, either one with straight or slanted back and two colors--white and bone. They all work the same way...no different "levels"...no "micro-processors" either. However, there are 3 flush options available: a simple push button switch, one that provides the ability to control flush water and discharge independently, and the "Smart Flush" Panel which provides four flush options--add water to the bowl ahead of flush, dry flush, low water flush and "full" flush. That much control over flush water can increase the number of flushes a tank can hold by 25% or even more.

It's a macerating electric toilet with a pump that Raritan calls a "vortex-vac," but it is not a vacuum flush toilet...it has a powerful pump which creates a vortex that pulls the flush out of the toilet. It also has a "grinder" (much too robust to call just a "macerator") that can even chew up an occasional paper towel--but NOT wet wipes!! The Elegance is designed to use onboard pressurized fresh water, but with the addition of a remote intake pump it can use sea water...in fact, with the addition of Raritan's "SeaFresh" system, you can even choose between fresh and sea water at will. The Despite all this, it's still the quietest macerating electric toilet on the planet!

And it's made in the US. All Jabsco equipment sold in the US is now made in Mexico with parts and components sourced from China and other Asian providers.

Raritan's website is undergoing extensive redesign...the promo sheet and other useful literature isn't currently available and, except for the owners manual, what is there now is confusing at best. The owners manual should help to clear up all the misinformation y'all have posted...it's here: Raritan Marine Elegance Owners Manual

Last time I looked, HopCar had it for the best price I've seen anywhere.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Another satisfied user of the Marine Elegance unit. We replaced a hand pump Jabsco unit last year and have been very pleased. Also second the recommendation for HopCar. We purchased there and were provided excellent service and pricing.

While you are replacing the toilet consider also doing the waste line. Spend a little extra and do it once. You will not regret it.

John

There can be only one!! The Tecma is by far the best porcelain throne you will find from small yachts to superyachts. Mine are 7 years old and trouble free toileting. Not cheap but you get what you pay for. They are standard on most new builds out of Asia and Europe. Including all the big names.

According to the specifications, it's available in 120v. But seems to me that with a little ingenuity you could prob'ly jury rig a hand held shower head to wash your fanny for a fraction of the price.:whistling:

Overseas, in a couple of places I have seen toilets in which people have hooked a 1/4" copper tubing to the water line, bent it over the rim of the toilet aiming up at "the spot" to be cleansed. They turn on the valve and have an instant Bidet.
In less luxurious places (no running water) a 2 liter plastic bottle of water with a squirt nozzle gets the job done.

There can be only one!! The Tecma is by far the best porcelain throne you will find from small yachts to superyachts. Mine are 7 years old and trouble free toileting. Not cheap but you get what you pay for. They are standard on most new builds out of Asia and Europe. Including all the big names.[/QUOTE]

Tecma, I have had two in Sarawana for the last ten years. Excellent throne as you say, but trouble free, no. So far I have replaced two control panels and have had intermittent 'running on' problems in one of the units for about three years now. When they work as intended though they are fine units, this coming from nine prior years of Taiwanese noisy units.IMHO pay the extra and get a good silent unit.The boat's other occupants will appreciate it.

"beedai?" "oh, its for washing your backside right?" Crocodile Dundee, 1983 NY city.

Overseas, in a couple of places I have seen toilets in which people have hooked a 1/4" copper tubing to the water line, bent it over the rim of the toilet aiming up at "the spot" to be cleansed. They turn on the valve and have an instant Bidet.

A couple of years ago I went to stay with a mate who had been transferred to Zurich.In his new apartment was an impressive throne, there was, apart from the usual buttons, one extra. We decided to see what that did, well we stood back and this whiring noise started and a little shaft with an attached head slides out from the middle of the toilet, swivels and sends a high pressure stream of water straight out of the toilet onto the adjacent wall. It then swiveled again and retracted into the toilet bowl, I swear it winked at me as it slid off, we were in hysterics.It gave us many hours of amusement.(as my old granny used to say, "you can take the boy out of the bush , but you can't take the bush out of the boy")

Raritan Elegance install

I want to replace an old manual head that the waste goes straight up about 4 ft then elbows to a sloped down horizontal pipe. The Elegance is made to go down as it leaved and Raritan recommended two 90s to send it upwards. Is there a better answer? Thanks, Charles

I have a ME that I used a 90 to turn the discharge horizontal. It works just fine.

I suspect that the distance from your toilet to the tank is considerably longer than the 6' your manual toilet can get it there with a reasonable amount of pumping, runs at least slightly uphill, or both. But your manual toilet can lift bowl contents at least 4' so that 4' vertical section of hose is there to provide the necessary help from gravity needed to get bowl contents to the tank.

The discharge pump in the Marine Elegance can easily move bowl contents at least 30', so unless the route to your tank is a lot more convoluted than it should be, bowl contents should not need any help from gravity to get to the tank.

--Peggie

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom