Looking For A Dual Trumpet Air Horn - Suggestion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have a Kahlenberg S-OA with a reservoir in the Engine Room and the compressor in the helm. Sounds great and hard to miss!

Our 26-footer has a FIAMM Fultone II, roughly $130. Looks similar to the AFI above. Lovely deep sound. Original was mounted horizontally, not tilted down, and over time got debilitated by too much salt spray that didn't drain out. Liked it so much I replaced it with another one, mounted correctly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIAMM-Fulto...ash=item43e0445437:g:Ey4AAOSw2x1XJ3vS&vxp=mtr

I would be interested in how that sounds as it would be an easy swap with the FIAMM that I have now. My guess is that it is pretty similar to my Toronado twins.

Why not stash a tank and compressor on the flybridge?

Interesting idea. I don't think there is a space that would work but I can check. If I could run an air line to the PH roof, the ER would be a perfect spot for a compressor. I have room there.

Interesting idea. I don't think there is a space that would work but I can check. If I could run an air line to the PH roof, the ER would be a perfect spot for a compressor. I have room there.

This is exactly what I plan to do, I have empty space under flybridge dasboard where I will. be able to fit a small air tank wnd compressor and as the trumpet is just 2 feet away the air line will be short and simply to setup.

This is exactly what I plan to do, I have empty space under flybridge dasboard where I will. be able to fit a small air tank wnd compressor and as the trumpet is just 2 feet away the air line will be short and simply to setup.

The dash of my flybridge sits right on top of my PH so not a lot of room but definitely worth looking at.

When I mounted my second Fultone, I put it on the side of the upper helm. The compressor was less than a foot away, inside the upper helm console. Short tubing between the two seems to be a good thing - less ability to swell with air pressure and diminish the effective pressure. I did not include an air tank.

And it's easier to run longer wires to the compressor than to run longer tubing to the trumpets. Another tip: use 10 gauge wire between the relay and the compressor. All in all, my second one was louder and responded more immediately when the button was pushed.

This is the one I got for 50 bucks (canadian). It is not SS but chromed anodized but as I am in fresh water here should not be a big issue and for the price I will see how long it will last.

20170101_135235.jpg

I have to warn people onboard before sounding my Kahlenberg D-1. Painful if standing on foredeck (134 dB).

Last edited:
Because I have air shifting and throttles, air is available all the time. So an air horn is easy. I bought one of these from a scrapper in India via ebay. It is loud enough for anybody. Almost painful. I operate on the ocean or open areas and in the fog, while I stay out of way ships, I like to sound bigger than I am. I don't know what psi the ship ran but I need 125 for the shifters.
Also, there are usually several used or antique dual and single air horns on ebay all the time.

Attachments

• Ship Air Horn.jpg
    Ship Air Horn.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 163
Ships whistle

IMG_20170101_151016.jpg

IMG_20170101_151028.jpg

Photos of old ships whistle that was given to us. Only stamping are Pat Dec 11 06. Assume that is 1906 but not sure. Works well, just cannot figure out where and how to mount it on the boat. Also really loud so whoever is pushing the handle needs hearing protection.

one would be 100% justified by shooting ones neighbor

I had a similar reaction. One does wonder if realtors are required to disclose his presence to potential buyers. ...but I did find the website strangely compelling--with one hand on the volume control, of course.

I really want to sound like the 6 fleet coming directly to you.. I ended with a Kahlberg double horn, a 12 liters air reservoir and a huge compressor... NOW everybody can hear me... I sound like a freighter coming to you even if I'm a mile away... use very few times but I love the sound...

When I did the install in my previous posting I got a lot of advice that if I put a regular, off-the-shelf electric compressor in the (gasoline) engine compartment, even a small one, my family would instantly be killed in a huge fiery explosion if the compressor wasn't marinized to eliminate sparks. Might be less of a risk with all you diesel guys though.

And my previous post about excessive volume aside, I do agree with many of the others on tone or pitch. I don't need 150 decibels to knock birds out of the sky, but a large boat with a high pitched beep-beep that sounds like a child's toy - it's just wrong. The horn on our current 40 ft LOA, 24,000 pound boat sounds like my dog's squeeky toy. Ridiculous.

I have a leftover old horn from a CJ-7 that plays Dixie. It would get attention.

I currently have an electric dual trumpet horns. Sometimes they both work and sometimes just one. But the other issue is that I really want the "Yacht" sound of loud air horns. Nothing less than 121db. (Keeping in mind that for every 7db the sound doubles). So a horn rated at 115db is half as loud as one rated at 122db.
Anyway, anybody got a loud dual trumpet air horn that they are happy with and does not cost a boat buck?

I installed electric horns and eventually had the same problem you are describing. You can take them apart, clean the contacts and adjust them and they may work for another year or so. It's a PITA.

Horns are not only required, they are safety equipment and really need to work when you push the button.

After fooling around with these electric horns for a few years, I decided enough was enough. I bought and installed a pair of marine air horns that come with their own "on demand" compressor. I think the brand was AFI and the cost was about $230.

Since the compressor draws 20 amps, I decided to run a dedicated circuit to the compressor and use a horn relay to operate the horn from the existing switches.

It works fine and is as loud as it needs to be.

https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/products/horn-air-double-trumpet-chrome-plated-brass-838.html

My brass bell might make 75 dB with a good clang. :whistling:

Not very effective but it sounds better than a dog's squeaky toy and doesn't require air.

Its also easy to mount in a trawler (unlike what Gaston has)

Last edited:
I currently have an electric dual trumpet horns. Sometimes they both work and sometimes just one. But the other issue is that I really want the "Yacht" sound of loud air horns. Nothing less than 121db. (Keeping in mind that for every 7db the sound doubles). So a horn rated at 115db is half as loud as one rated at 122db.
Anyway, anybody got a loud dual trumpet air horn that they are happy with and does not cost a boat buck?

Buell horns haven't been mentioned and don't meet your cost criteria, but they are also in the big dog club. I have an AFI twin air horn setup with a small compressor that was low cost and has worked well. Loud as hell.

There are actual COLREG specifications not only for the volume of boat horns but for the frequency of the tone(s) based on the length of the boat.

It's unlikely that the average Coast Guard boarding officer will test for frequency but you should know that there are regulations.

There are actual COLREG specifications not only for the volume of boat horns but for the frequency of the tone(s) based on the length of the boat.

You beat me to it. The frequencies are also listed in the appendices of the US NavRules book.

One more point about horns; IMHO, chrome has no place on any kind of sea-going vessel. If you're on a fresh-water lake, fine. But salt water and chrome don't mix well. The link above to Hamilton Marine (a coastal Maine business) is for a chrome-plated horn. To their credit, I think that horn is one of the very few things they sell that's got chrome on it.

You beat me to it. The frequencies are also listed in the appendices of the US NavRules book.

One more point about horns; IMHO, chrome has no place on any kind of sea-going vessel. If you're on a fresh-water lake, fine. But salt water and chrome don't mix well. The link above to Hamilton Marine (a coastal Maine business) is for a chrome-plated horn. To their credit, I think that horn is one of the very few things they sell that's got chrome on it.

I looked all over for stainless steel but could not find it. My electric horn was stainless.

It's unlikely that the average Coast Guard boarding officer will test for frequency but you should know that there are regulations.

That was one of the things that disappointed me with the LIAMM website. They don't list the frequencies so no way of knowing if a horn is appropriate for its intended use.

From their PDF catalog I downloaded some years ago: the FIAMM Fultone II horn frequencies are 300 and 260, and 114DB. Quite a satisfying sound, though not quite like the really expensive brands.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom