Search for a Couch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roger Long

Vessel Name
Gypsy Star
Vessel Make
Gulf Star 43
We've been searching online for a couch to put aboard our trawler. We have enough bunks that it doesn't need to be a pull out sleeper but it must be light enough for the two of us to move around for access to engine hatches. It may also need to be partially disassembled to get in the sliding doors of our Gulf Star. Ikea seemed to be the first place to look but nothing has jumped out.

I imagine several on this forum have faced this issue so any suggestions appreciated.

We went with Plan B: two Lazy Boy electric recliners.

The original Flexsteel sleep sofa covered one engine room hatch, weighed more than I could easily move by myself, wasn't long enough for me to stretch out in (while still in couch format), wasn't wide enough to keep both shoulders on the thing that way anyway, and was too big to find a place for during a temporary move anyway. Stretched out, the TV was in the wrong direction for me, too.

The two recliners offer infinite adjustment (the electric part, although that meant I needed to accelerate my planned inverter installation) and they get almost all the way flat, too. In that latter case, I need to pull them out from the bulkhead a bit, first, not a horrible price to pay since I rarely do that. And they face the TV :)

I can move each one, by myself. The local Lazy Boy store delivered -- to the boat -- and did the set-up onboard. The backs are removable, although once delivered and attached, there wouldn't be much reason in our case to dismantle the things. (At least not often.)

Just an alternative...

-Chris

Klick klak sofa. Does fold down to a queen, but it lays flat to come through the door...thats the ticket.

Inside bottom is storage and holds all our linens plus winter coats. Easy to get into or lay down. It's nice because I can pull it out a smidgen Kay it flat and easily get to the large storage space under the side deck on that side if the boat. Lots of plumbing spares and miles of spare wire and cable. Stuff that I use frequently but not daily or so.

Comes with other without arms, ours is armless, but the throw pillows that come with it look like arms. It fits like it was built in.

Microfiber wears like iron and is comfortable material and just plain sitting.

Last edited:
I got a futon from World Market. Ends fold down, light enough to move, cushions wear well, open storage underneath. I think it was 400 bucks. Very happy with it. Fits well in my minimalist boat decor.

This was a trip back from the boatyard with tools all over the place. Girl costs extra.

Attachments

• 6.25.09 005.jpg
    6.25.09 005.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Amazon.com and a tape measure. I'm all for keeping it simple. There are all different sizes of couches on Amazon.com I put this one on my Gulfstar 36: http://a.co/iUKoR7j

Also, bought this big comfy couch online for my livaboard (pic attached)

Attachments

• IMG_20161231_102756.jpg
    IMG_20161231_102756.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 142
Back
Top Bottom