View Single Post
Old 12-29-2016, 01:40 PM   #19
Baker
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
The time spent to piecemeal together a used unit of questionable dependability is better spent in just purchasing a new unit. It's been my experience that I'll spend quite a bit more cash in additional or missing parts when trying to install a used piece of electronics gear- not to mention the time to research missing manuals etc.

This is not always the case, but it does happen. I do love a good deal, though!
I fully agree with this. Raymarine's current crop of APs are pretty damn good and not terribly expensive. I know you are still in the 4 digit area but they will last a long time with good support.

ANd like someone said, there is no parallel with avionics. THe market just isn't there. Avionics are EXPENSIVE hence the market for used ones. THey are also provided by manufacturers that have been around for a very long time so the support is still there. Consumer grade marine electronics, on the other hand, are relatively quite cheap. So they are basically "throw away" and that is how the manufacturers treat them....hence their lack of support after a few years(5 maybe???).

NOW, with that said, there are no "radio shops" around here. I know that is an aviation term. But there are marine electronics providers and installers. Go to their shop and it is highly likely they have a BUNCH of older electronics laying around. I have a friend that owns such a shop. And he has shelves of stuff. He ends up eBaying it. Most of his customers just hand over the old working take outs.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote