Best Mattress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darrell moore

Vessel Name
Wine Down
Vessel Make
Mainship 430
Looking for best mattress for marine environment. Don't need anything custom as it will fit into our current queen bed pedestal. Currently has a tempurpedic but after 15 years we think its time to change it out. Suggestions appreciated!

I think you are really lucky if a stock size queen mattress will fit in your boat. I wish my last boat, present boat, and a RV had a stock size. Just for the fun of it, measure your old one before you go shopping.

Sorry for the noob question, but is doing actual measurements the only way to decode "queen bed" in YachtWorld.com listings?

Yes. Most listed sizes of beds in boats are approximations to give land-folks something to compare. Our "queen" walk around in our GB is actually somewhere between a land-based full and a queen...

Buy a new Tumpurpedic. If you liked it, it would be too bad to go something else that didn't work for you.

Those things make me sweat like crazy. :)

Are you sure it is the mattress?

i bought a 5 inch thick medium density foam mattress from a foam shop, a Nova foam top pad from Costo and a cloth matterss cover sheet. Total cost about $500.00 CAD for queen size and I'm in love with it.

Last edited:
i bought a 5 inch thick medium density foam mattress from a foam shop and a Nova foam top pad from Costo and I'm in love. Total cost about $500.00 CAD for queen size.

You're from "hell"... we should listen to you for what reason??????
Bruce

Cause I said so.....and if you don't I just might come looking for you.:angry:

thinking outside the circle how about a water bed :hide:
Not sure about waterbeds, we change over when there are too many dick stabs.

Looking for best mattress for marine environment. Don't need anything custom as it will fit into our current queen bed pedestal. Currently has a tempurpedic but after 15 years we think its time to change it out. Suggestions appreciated!

Go to IKEA...The latex with a mattress pad.

Got our memory foam with a nice pillow top at Costco.
Our boat Queen is slightly smaller than a normal Queen so I cut the mattress down with an electric carving knife.

At the moment we were ready to replace our mattress, the in-laws downsized and a guest bedroom mattress in the right size appeared to have no home. It is (likely) an expensive foam mattress, about 8" thick and is the most comfortable one we have ever owned. Go to the foam shop and test lay on what they have to offer. You will be surprised how nice they can be, unless, of course, if you sweat too much.

It has been said by many people that a Tempurpedic is hot. We have one at home and we love it but we have air conditioning at home so the possible "hot" effect is countered by the air conditioning.

Since your mattress is a standard size (ours isn't), It seems pretty simple to shop mattress stores until you find one you like.

"thinking outside the circle how about a water bed"

Extra water capacity for emergencies..just kidding

A 2nd vote for Handcraft Mattress- we had some challenges with the fit ( they mis-measured) but in the end are very pleased with the mattress.

There are a number of companies that now do the mattress delivered in a box. They compress the mattress, you open it, and then give it a day to expand. Would be great to get it below decks in a smaller box.

Here are a couple of sites that do this (I have no affiliation with any of these)

The Best Bed for Better Sleep | Casper

BedInABox® Official Store - The Original Mattress In A Box

Adaptive Sleep Technology - Tuft & Needle Mattress Company

Meet The Best Foam Mattress In a Box | Sleep Better

i bought a 5 inch thick medium density foam mattress from a foam shop, a Nova foam top pad from Costo and a cloth matterss cover sheet. Total cost about $500.00 CAD for queen size and I'm in love with it.

We replaced our "queen" mattress aboard our Defever 44 with a foam mattress from replacement-mattress.com. They will custom cut to order. Our mattress platform is 80 inches long by 60 inches wide except it narrows by four inches toward the foot of the bed platform. We ordered ours 58 x 78 inches. It fits our platform quite well. We are very happy with the purchase. The foam is covered just like a standard store-bought spring mattress. No need to cut down with an electric knife or other cutting tool which yields a crude, unfinished result (IMHO). Ours, the most expensive, is 5.5 inches of high-density foam with 2.5 inches of memory foam on top. We paid $645, including shipping.

I ordered a memory foam queen size from Amazon. It was about $350. I paid extra for next day delivery and it did not come. After calling and complaining, Amazon refunded the entire price so it ended up being free. I did have to trim the foot corners since the bed platform has more rounded "corners" but otherwise the standard queen fit exactly. It is very comfortable, especially at that cost...

Our lottery boat will have standard household-size beds... with nearby electricity... so we'd likely select a Sleep Number bed.

We'd been skeptical about their advertising, but we needed a new mattress at home, shopped around, sure enough it seems to work nicely. Not hot like Tempurpedic. Ours happens to be individually adjustable (i.e., each side), and that seems useful.

I found it interesting that the mattress comes in a (3' x 4' ???) box, and then gets assembled in place. Easy, and in our case it also meant not having to wrestle a big mattress up the stairs and around the corners all at the same time.

Ours also happens to be an articulating version, and our lottery boat would have that, too. :)

-Chris

Ive been using a queen air mattress topped with 4" cool foam (both from walmart) in both the rv and the boat. It's as close to sleeping on a waveless waterbed as I can find. The combo is amazingly comfortable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom