Two motors...one prop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
6 Knots for 5000 miles range.. I could died of boring before reach next port...
By the way.. 2 combined diesel engines system is called CODAD.. nothing new

Done that In rotorcraft. AS355, BO105, BK117, EC135, 145, S76, BH222,230, 430. 412,212 Blackhawks, I forget the rest.

Done that In rotorcraft. AS355, BO105, BK117, EC135, 145, S76, BH222,230, 430. 412,212 Blackhawks, I forget the rest.

What about the CH46 & CH47? They have twin rotors, driven by two turbines. If one turbine or rotor fails, it will fly cleanly to the scene of the crash...

The setup he devised is unique. One engine running at a time with the other shut down. To engage the other engine the drive line needs to be undone and hooked up to the spare. This entire vessel is pretty neat and stout. The builder deserves some kudos.

Wonder where it is now. The article is 10 years old and the boat for sale at that time.

One should realize this boat is not intended to be run on both engines .. ever. Or am I reading this wrong? If both engines were "on line" the system would be extremely underpropped. Is that right?

garrobito,
If you have a problem w bordom perhaps trawlering is not for you. Boating and flying no matter what the speed (except fo short runs) is hours and hours of running at one speed. The difference by far is how much of the earth you traverse. Like .. if I run all day at 6 knots and you run at 18 you just go farther. We both run our boats all day.

By the way what does CODAD stand for? Are you familiar w the twin engine one shaft system created about 10 years ago from bus technology? Is CODAD related to the bus experiment? It was designed primairly for gas to diesel conversions. But had many advantages. Was featured in PMM.
Opps my bad. The bus tech system was for converting a twin gas to single diesel. I have the mag on my bookshelf.

15+ years ago, I was on an older trawler the a had two 471 side by side that could drive one shaft. Both at the same time or one at a time. The engines where belt driven to the shaft, each having its own electric clutch. Being a green newbie, I don't remember much detail except they where side by side and connected to the shaft.

The old school was to use the gen set with a hydraulic pump as a get home, which is what the Eagles set up is. :oldman:

i did some work on an old noaa boat that had 2 mains into a giant lufkin gear turning a single shaft with variable pitch prop. they used a big air clutch to lock them in. unique setup but a nightmare to do any work on because the boat was built in 1965 with a big single main then they re-powered it with 2 3516 cats for mains and 2 3408 gens on the out board sides.

CODAD = Combined Diesel and Diesel.
Sometimes used with small & large engines to provide small engine for light loads, large engine for heavy loads and pulling nets.

This boat has two engines with two drive shafts. You connect ONE at a time, not both.

Switching from one engine to another is a manual process as it says in the post.

The way to get rid of the boring at 6K is to have a sail rig that takes attention and at times the boring can turn to white knuckle experience. I personally think one of the reasons there are not more combo sail power rigs is most power boats prefer what you call the boring no judgment as to whether that's good or bad just how I see it.

BIG CAT,
Two "mains" is a contradiction. One can only have one main .. and I'm not sure why you don't call them engines. Kinda like the "rpm's" expression. Rpm is what happens in one minute .. not multiple minutes. Just say'in

BIG CAT,
Two "mains" is a contradiction. One can only have one main .. and I'm not sure why you don't call them engines. Kinda like the "rpm's" expression. Rpm is what happens in one minute .. not multiple minutes. Just say'in

in my part of the world. main(s) is short for main propulsion engine(s). some boats have one. others may have 4. same goes for gens or generators. i also say it that way because i can.:D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom