Mother's Day Weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodsong

Guru
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Hope you all were out on the water!

DSCF6024.JPG

DSCF6026.JPG

DSCF6006.JPG

DSCF6034.JPG

DSCF6040.JPG

Tarne%2Band%2BSarah.jpg

We had a GREAT weekend on the water- anchored out Saturday night and spent all day Sunday on the water. *I was amazed at how few boats were out since the weather was perfect out! *We shared the anchorage only with one other boat- a beautiful 47 great harbor that is also a dock neighbor. *The marina parking lots were full and most all the boats on our dock had their owners there lounging on them at the dock- guess gas prices and high fuel burn rates is keeping everyone dockside thus far this season! *The cove we were in is not 1/2 mile from 2 large marinas and it is an A+ cove in my opinion- amazing that no one else was out for the night! *Gotta love having a trawler with almost no fuel burn. *
smile.gif

-- Edited by Woodsong on Monday 9th of May 2011 09:08:37 AM

I can only dream. Getting closer, in my head anyway, to doing it, but for the time being still left at the dock.
cry.gif

We spend the weekend setting up BON DIA in her new slip after a Sat 6am transition from the repair yard, a harzardous journey of 4 miles. Winds were forecasted to be gusting into the 20s soon after sunrise so we sneaked in at daybreak in light winds. Being our 1st solo trip we were quite proud of our docking. Unfortuately not a soul was awake & can testify.

I'm always amazed how little distance one needs to*travel (half a mile? 200 yards?)*from the marina*before one is "transported" to a different world.

Weather in So California was windy and gusty sunday; a 38' tall californian acts like a sailboat in these conditions sans the keel that is..
yep, not easy to dock at all.. i am still a little nervous in those conditions and most often when i dock it is gentle style, which is really not a good way to dock in windy weather, you need the forward motion to stay on track, and then hit the brakes...

We are very lucky to currently have a really great slip, near a small park and open areas.
So we went on a long bike ride instead and came back to the boat to hang out after (for me hanging out means doing light maintenance and repairs as needed).

We too had a great day on the water. Took the 26' out to the reef in front of our house. Lunch,cold beer, fishing and snorkle.BB

Attachments

• caye caulker (2).jpg
    caye caulker (2).jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 67
  • more reef.jpg
    more reef.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 80
  • caye caulker (1).jpg
    caye caulker (1).jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 80
  • snorkleing.jpg
    snorkleing.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 81
Your trees are aready green.

Still snow cover on the ground.

The pussy willows are just starting to come out up here in Alaska.
usually the first sign of spring.

I have spring envy.

Good thing our summers are so glorious it is worth waiting for.

SD

My mothers day weekend was spent in Paris with my daughter on her first mother's day, with 5 week old Maelle. My wife will be staying another 10 days after I head for home tomorrow.

skipperdude wrote:
Your trees are aready green.

Still snow cover on the ground.

The pussy willows are just starting to come out up here in Alaska.
usually the first sign of spring.

I have spring envy.

Good thing our summers are so glorious it is worth waiting for.

SD
*Skipperdude, according to my AIS monitoring, almost every day now there is a cruise ship*headed north*along the California coast*on*its way toward Alaska.* Your boating season should be opening very soon.

markpierce wrote:
*Skipperdude, according to my AIS monitoring, almost every day now there is a cruise ship*headed north*along the California coast*on*its way toward Alaska.* Your boating season should be opening very soon.
First cruise ship calling Seattle for the season arrived April 15.*

It is starting to heat up.

The cruise ship trade, that is.

Mark,

*If I waited for warm weather I would only have about 12 weekends total for the year.

Therefor if the wind isn't to heavy I start boating by feburary.

Things look kind of pretty all covered with snow.

*All the deer are down on the beaches. Eating seaweed so the hunting is great.

On the south facing*slopes the black bear are already starting to visit the beaches too.

Early spring the waterfalls start all the winter snow melts. It's a beauty to behold

Most of the fairweather boaters start on Memorial day weekend.

That leaves June, july and August by September the Moose are starting to*rut.

By mid september the Coho run is over and people start winterizing.

Gotta love boating to do it in Alaska.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 9th of May 2011 03:41:38 PM

Back
Top Bottom