Best Trawler for a 100k Budget

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That Island Gypsy is nice and roomy. Doesn't look abused either from the pics - a survey would tell the truth. Nice little Plexiglas hat for the transmission controls!

Will that third stateroom closet, gutted if need be, be large enough for and least a compact or apartment sized stack individual washer / dryer set, sorry but that all-in-one units' just not going to work for me. If there is any room left make shelves for laundry accessories etc??

I've joined the BOC and have been trying to get more familiar with the boat, and most seems OK. The only thing that I've run across so far that seems a bit oddball on the surface (it may make more sense in practice) is the weird 110 v only power system. Hmmmm, 110v on a 12.kw system, no 240v, just doesn't make sense to me. I've read a few posts of 2 and 3 30A single phase power cords to run the boat, why not a single 240v?? I'm definitely going to have to spend more time investigating that one. All modern cooktops are 240 and so is washer/dryer, and could easily lighten amp load on a/c and heating etc.
Also same, but not quite as drastic is 12v DC systems, windlass, davits etc could benefit from 24v, especially if upgrading to heavy duty inverters to carry house loads on anchor. Just me. Still early days of looking into the 4788.

So the washer and dryer is an all-in-one unit works just fine. I've done an awful lot of loads in mine and think it is one of the best things to have on a boat. If I were living aboard I would use the washer and dryer is installed and enjoy myself.

120 V versus 240 V 120 wins hands-down for availability. Plus I don't have any appliances that use 240.

12 V versus 24 V that's just what it is. I can tell you that getting 12 volt things like pumps etc. seems a lot easier than 24 V but honestly I haven't shopped for 24 V

One thing we need to be careful about with keyboard shopping is getting caught up in the details. The best thing to do is go look at boats in person and see how you like them in person. You could go board and find you don't like A particular boat model at all. Or you may fall in love. You just never know.

One thing we need to be careful about with keyboard shopping is getting caught up in the details. The best thing to do is go look at boats in person and see how you like them in person. You could go board and find you don't like A particular boat model at all. Or you may fall in love. You just never know.

We are proof of this statement Kevin

Ted

Last edited by a moderator:
Grand Banks

Check out Grand Banks, they'll cruise the Caribbean, do a Loop, twin diesel, can sleep your kiddos, and if looking at a 1980's 42 or 46' you may get lucky and find one in the $100k range

Yikes. A $100,000 powerboat will cost $200,000 in deferred maintenance and repairs. Maybe look at sailboats.

Keep telling myself

Reading this thread reminds me. Let the Nay Sayers not distract you from your goals. Patience is the key here. I too have to keep telling myself this. Solid values our out there. You'll find close to what your looking for. I have some goals too and am willing to give on some things and others not so much.

Every family is different. I would like to provide a separate stateroom for my son. I want him to be involved in our boating until he leaves our home. Part of that goal means I have to anticipate that although today he can sleep on the couch he will want some space to himself. I am opting for a two stateroom boat.

Continue to look at the market, study and be prepared for what the universe brings you.

Ditto the Grand Banks suggestion for under $100k, especially if your tastes run to wood hulls. GB changed to fiberglass in the early 1970's and I've seen some really nice wood boats priced right. GB build quality is excellent.

Check out Grand Banks, they'll cruise the Caribbean,

Not really. Unless they are stabilized and you pick your weather carefully.

Once you get down into the real Caribbean and the easterlies a GB is going to be wet and rolly.

Now if by Caribbean you mean the Bahamas, which aren't in the Caribbean, then yes, a GB wouldn't be a bad choice.

But I'd still want stabilizers underway if I had a choice and at anchor in some form or another for sure.

Yikes. A $100,000 powerboat will cost $200,000 in deferred maintenance and repairs. Maybe look at sailboats.
I think there are quite a few here with less than $100,000 boats that didn't spend another $200,000 in deferred maintenance.

Though I do all the work myself....if I spent another $45K on top of the $55K my boat cost.....I could have had a lot of outside help and finished this boat off with mostly top of the line replacements/upgrades.

Not really. Unless they are stabilized and you pick your weather carefully.

Once you get down into the real Caribbean and the easterlies a GB is going to be wet and rolly.

Now if by Caribbean you mean the Bahamas, which aren't in the Caribbean, then yes, a GB wouldn't be a bad choice.

But I'd still want stabilizers underway if I had a choice and at anchor in some form or another for sure.

Yep....that's why I have no plans to venture much farther than the Bahamas. Cuba opening may make some jump off points easier though so I may reevaluate.

A few have taken unstabilized smaller trawlers gosh knows where down that way....but cruising might be a stretch of a definition .....more like a one way trip....

If I had a million dollars.... ! Well if a year ago we had been up for spending $100k [US$?] we would have stuck with our Plan A which was a 42 Grand Banks, and if it was older with the Lehman engines all the better. But sadly as good as the GB there are many delusional sellers out there think their 42 that needs hull work or deck work is still worth 100k. The three GB boats that couldn't be negotiated down are still on the market. My advice is spend ~60 on a good Taiwanese boat, with Lehman's or Perkins engines, that surveys well and keep the rest for the extra's like new electronics, upholstery and new canvas etc. good luck enjoy the hunt

Bestway Trawler under $100k

I have a 1987 all fiberglass Bestway 50' CPMY with twin queen staterooms (ensuite heads) that will accommodate your needs. The setee also sleeps 2, and an additional sleeper sofa in the salon. Powered by twin Cat 3116 (350 HP) engines with only 500 hours currently being serviced. Upper bridge has a commanding view and seating for 8. Covered aft deck is teak with wet bar and ice maker. Captain's stateroom is aft, full beam width 13'-8" with plenty of storage and enclosed washer/dryer. Fishing cockpit has control station, wet bar, shower, and door to access the swim platform. Boat is located in South Florida and recently completed a 400 mile trip. I am currently doing mechanical and cosmetic upgrades and will consider selling.

If I had a million dollars.... ! Well if a year ago we had been up for spending $100k [US$?] we would have stuck with our Plan A which was a 42 Grand Banks, and if it was older with the Lehman engines all the better. But sadly as good as the GB there are many delusional sellers out there think their 42 that needs hull work or deck work is still worth 100k. The three GB boats that couldn't be negotiated down are still on the market. My advice is spend ~60 on a good Taiwanese boat, with Lehman's or Perkins engines, that surveys well and keep the rest for the extra's like new electronics, upholstery and new canvas etc. good luck enjoy the hunt
Ocean Alexander or Defever are good manufacturers. Don't be afraid of an Asian manufacturer, even Grand Banks are made in China.

I would agree with Craig, leave a significant amount of your budget for repair and refit. The lower the price of the boat in the range of boats you are looking at, the more you will need. I think it is why there are so many boats in bad condition out there, people max there budget on purchase and leave nothing for maintenance and repair.

Maybe if you just write checks for everything with the "open checkbook":rolleyes:.

..me driving a bayliner 3988... :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: it's like drive a pregnant whale...:banghead:
boat3.jpg
As a newbie here, I want to know all about your experiences driving pregnant whales. Please share

We just moved off of a Hans Christian on to a Marine Trader 50 wide body and love it. 3 state rooms, 3 heads, 2 ford lehman ' s (great on fuel) all for 140K

My opinion the most important thing when looking for an older 100 thousand $ trawler is how the previous owners kept the boat. A meticulous past owner could be selling you a bargain on the other hand previous owners that have allowed things to slip or have not sought out and dealt with hidden issues could be passing off a maintenance bomb. Unfortunately not all surveyors are created equal and many things are missed even in a good survey. If you go for a boat get the best surveyor you can find and that is usually not the one the broker suggests. In choosing a surveyor the broker may be in conflict of interest with you. The broker needs quick service and may not like a picky surveyor that may kill deals and you want a very picky person. Also you should be aware that you may need more than one survey since engines and some mechanical and electronics are not always in the realm of a standard survey and those items on a replacement basis may account for a good chunk of your 100 grand.

Got a 45' Jefferson with twin Perkins,two stateroom, gueen aft,split bunks forward ,drop down dinenet, foldout couch, Galley down ,large fly bridge, large aft deck for sale. In the keys now ,will be in ft Lauderdale end of August.

I am a newbie on this forum. We bought our first boat 6 months ago. We traveled all over looking at different boats, went to dealers and looked at new and used boats. It took about 6 months of climbing all over different ones before we finally found the right one. Have fun looking and you will know when the right one comes along.

A trawler in good condition under $100k is called......a Carver!!!!...;)

Grand Banks 42

You may be able to find a Grand Banks 42 for around $100K.

No matter what you pick out, don't spend the whole 100K on the purchase. You'll need to fix something.

You may be able to find a Grand Banks 42 for around $100K.

I do believe there is one the Kolive is selling...at $84k. It may be a 36...check classifieds. Looks like a nice boat.

If I had $100K to spend on a boat, I'd buy a $50K boat and have enough left over to "make it mine" with cash reserves for the inevitable unexpecteds.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom