Spark ignited diesel?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sayswho

Was looking at some sites and see that Mercury has made an outboard diesel that is spark ignited. It would seem that this is the golden ingredient to make the lighter weight case last longer since the compression ratio wouldn't need to be as high as a traditional diesel. Anyone else hear about this?

Welcome to the forum! Can you post a link to that information.

Ted

The thermodynamic cycle of that outboard is closer to that of the Otto cycle, the typical gasoline cycle, and not really a diesel, even though it burns diesel oil as a fuel. It will have some advantages over gasoline fueled versions, but it will not come close to the efficiency of a true compression ignition machine.

It got developed for military purposes where they absolutely did not want to carry gasoline on shipboard fuel tanks for safety reasons.

Yeah. I've seen that one as well. Just needs a few more horsepower. So many new technologies on the horizon

At 517 lbs, I guess I won't be hanging the Merc off a transom bracket for get-home, but maybe the military will eventually spec something smaller. With a cam, injector, prop change and a bigger alternator, who knows, maybe it would make a decent outboard for the Great Harbour 35. I wonder what the pricing is like.

interesting.

I know that the ship whose engine fuel is liquefied LNG requires a small puff of diesel to explode and the machine were to happen, a bit like the spark plugs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom