View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #22
Larry H

City: Pacific Northwest
Vessel Name: Jacari Maru
Vessel Model: 2014 Ranger Tug R-27
RE: Chart plotter anguish

Benn,

I said the same thing before I used the CE program. Of course, you cannot leave the helm on automatic and take a nap, supervision is still required. The CE program can be set to notify you when the waypoint is reached, but not make the turn. The voice will tell you that you have arrived and what the new course is. If you do become distracted watching whales or whatever, the voice is a reminder. I would suppose that other chart plotters have a waypoint arrival alarm. The program also has a digital readout showing distance and time to go to the waypoint. These functions were shown in my old GPS which did not have a plotter. I would not want the program to steer the autopilot at a waypoint without a notification.

When I started using the CE program, I activated the course, and set the autopilot manually, and changed it manually at each waypoint. Here in the Pacific Northwest, we have a lot of current, which can vary along the course. Using the autopilot manually, I had to correct for the current set a lot. This resulted in the boat always being slightly off the course line. The CE controlled auto pilot mode is a lot more accurate, and corrects constantly to keep the boat on the line. This makes the radar observations more accurate, and lets the other boats see my course more accurately.

One of the great features for my area is showing the AIS targets and their predictor line on the screen. The predictor line is a dotted line extending ahead of the target, showing where it will be in the future if it maintains the same course and speed. I set the predictor lines for both the AIS targets and my boat to 10min. (its adjustable) This allows me see if there are any conflicts coming up with a tug and tow or a ferry, and make course adjustments early. Seeing the AIS targets and their names also allows me to call them directly by name on the VHF if there will be a problem. When I am crossing with a ferry, and I am the stand on vessel, I usually call them and tell them I will cross behind them. The ferrys in WA and BC have enough to worry about without having to yield to a yacht.
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote