2002 430 Aft Cabin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capttug

Vessel Name
Amore
Vessel Make
Mainship430
I am trying to remove the sliding door that connects the Salon to the Aft deck.
I can't seem to get it out of the bottom track. (need to remove sofa). Any one with ant experience?
Thanks,
Bill

Assuming this is a Mainship, try the Mainship Owner's website

Flat bar and a couple stiff putty knives have been my best friend on stubborn land based patio sliders. Perhaps the Mainship one works similar? I honestly do not know.

If so, gently pry the bottom corner up one side at a time and slide a screwdriver or putty knife between the bottom track and the wheel. Then with a gentle lifting pressure upwards swing the bottom out.

If the above makes no sense check YouTube for patio door removal.

some doors have spring loaded rollers . The springs, or gravity, hold the rollers down when you lift the door. The putty knife is useful to lift up the rollers.

I will also be attempting this soon. I'm guessing you have to remove the outer panel that the door slides under, correct? I figured with the panel removed the door would lift straight up.

Some sliding glass doors are blocked by a (plastic or rubber) runner in the upper track. In these, unscrewing the runner usually allows you to slide it out of the track toward one end or the other. Once that's out, it leaves clearance to lift the glass door up and over the lips of the lower track.

Works that way on our boat, which is from a sister brand, and many of the other owners have described the same operation on their model.

-Chris

Let's see if this works. I'm trying to post a picture of the door.
5916649_20160824104612641_1_XLARGE.jpg

How about that, it did work. The door is made of some kind of plastic. It's shaped like an upside down "L" with the long part slanted back and the short part horizontal. It slides under the panel on the left that the ladder is hanging on. That panel is attached with screws and caulking. It looks like after the panel is removed the door should lift straight up. The door is very thin and I don't think there are any rollers. I hope Capttug can figure it out so I don't have to.

I tried that and could not get the door out of the bottom track. I will attempt again in the spring.

That's it. The door would not come out of the bottom track. (after removing the panel the ladder is attached to.)

That's it. The door would not come out of the bottom track. (after removing the panel the ladder is attached to.)

Thanks Capt. I guess we'll both wait for better weather.

We removed that door on our 2005 MS 430 to get some big stuff out of the boat. It required us to remove the panel to the left of the sliding door (screws & caulk) first. Then lift off the sliding door. Reverse to reinstall.

We removed that door on our 2005 MS 430 to get some big stuff out of the boat. It required us to remove the panel to the left of the sliding door (screws & caulk) first. Then lift off the sliding door. Reverse to reinstall.

Thank you Temptation. I will try that as soon as the weather gets better. Where are you located? We're in Puget Sound.

Hope this is OK to ask a question here,,, we are interested in a MS 430 aft cabin "Trawler" and when I look at the hull pics and the horsepower,,, it seems to be a planing hull style boat. Am I wrong or is it a trawler ? The interior is teak like a trawler but I did not see a keel either.
The chine on the bottom looks like a SeaRay. I thought the bottom had to be rounded to glide like a trawler. Also thought small diesels were trawler style,,,, Very confused.

Greetings,
Mr. a. Probably best to start a new thread BUT to briefly answer your confusion...The term "Trawler" as applied to our recreational vessels is so vague as to include very many styles and hull shapes. So one "size" does NOT fit all.

Hope this is OK to ask a question here,,, we are interested in a MS 430 aft cabin "Trawler" and when I look at the hull pics and the horsepower,,, it seems to be a planing hull style boat. Am I wrong or is it a trawler ? The interior is teak like a trawler but I did not see a keel either.
The chine on the bottom looks like a SeaRay. I thought the bottom had to be rounded to glide like a trawler. Also thought small diesels were trawler style,,,, Very confused.

Greetings,
Mr. a. Probably best to start a new thread BUT to briefly answer your confusion...The term "Trawler" as applied to our recreational vessels is so vague as to include very many styles and hull shapes. So one "size" does NOT fit all.

To expand on Mr. RT's comment...

You might search through and read the several threads around here that discuss the 'definition' of trawlers... There's one going now, about "True Displacement Models," but there have been several. (I suspect it's usually winter fodder...)

You'll see that some only think trawlers must actually trawl, some think trawlers must by definition have a full-displacement hull, some think trawlers shouldn't ever be "Swift"... and so forth. At least many recognize that the term "trawlers is often a marketing term, and often means about what you paid for it (the word, I mean, not an actual boat no matter how it's labeled).

Last I remember, the MS 430 does have a keel, but was also often delivered with twin engines... so the keel doesn't "protect" the props as much is one might on a single-screw boat... and yes, I think it'll plane, sort-of, at least within the limits of installed horsepower (MS 430 owners can likely chime in with better info on that, though.)

-Chris

And note: I do NOT have a trawler. :)

Last edited:
Thanks,,,, learning a lot on here,,,, The 430 mainship seems to be a good cross over, I like the choice of trawling speed or planing speed,,, just read a lot of opinions on running higher HP engines at trawling speeds.
Like everything else, I guess you could run up to RPM's every so often to prevent any sooting issues.
I am sure a true trawler hull will get better MPG but there is always a trade off.

Thanks,,,, learning a lot on here,,,, The 430 mainship seems to be a good cross over, I like the choice of trawling speed or planing speed,,, just read a lot of opinions on running higher HP engines at trawling speeds.
Like everything else, I guess you could run up to RPM's every so often to prevent any sooting issues.
I am sure a true trawler hull will get better MPG but there is always a trade off.

Our 430 has twin Yanmar 370's. We run it at trawler speed most of the time, 8 knots, with an occasional run up to keep it clean. It will plane and top speed is about 17 knots, but I don't like paying for that much fuel.

I like that idea,,, we have the choices narrowed down to 44 Gulfstar or 430 Mainship.
Love the layouts

Back
Top Bottom