Power cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A glowing review? Have you ever seen a less than glowing review there?

At least it doesn't have the annoying emblem splashed in the corner of every picture.

..Normally piercing waves catamaran cross pacific from Australia and New Zealand under their own bottom to the new owners on Europe or America... Cat's can and do ocean crossing without too much problem.
If you can afford, a wave piercing cats can "go anywhere", just need to be able to afford gas ticket (mostly come with turbine type propulsion). if you can afford, my second choose will be the impressive sunreef power cat.. a real mansion afloat..
Cat world is wide, different, generally expensive and have something for everybody... Good hunt!

As a monohull sailor, I have always distrusted cats as something slightly perverse. I am sure I could probable get over it.

Domino 20 - the ultimate passage-maker
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7KR-pAjd8...AAMV4/aQDEhS9kHCo/s1600/Surge+protector31.jpg

These people have travelled halfway around the world in their Malcolm Tennant designed Domino 20 from Paraguay to the U.S. And are now in New Caladonia DOMINO 20
I had suggested at one time the thought of making a motorsailor version of the Domino 20 design. There was some slight interest by the owners. (utilizes my all 3-furling-sails rig)
59207d1311872093-monohull-verses-multihull-powersailers-motorsailers-domino-20anchored-20in-20amazon-203.jpg

59208d1311872107-monohull-verses-multihull-powersailers-motorsailers-domino-aftmast-rig.jpg

I had suggested at one time the thought of making a motorsailor version of the Domino 20 design. There was some slight interest by the owners. (utilizes my all 3-furling-sails rig)
59207d1311872093-monohull-verses-multihull-powersailers-motorsailers-domino-20anchored-20in-20amazon-203.jpg

59208d1311872107-monohull-verses-multihull-powersailers-motorsailers-domino-aftmast-rig.jpg
Brian does the aft placement of the mast encourage hobby horsing or does the forward tilt cause sufficient weight distribution fore and aft. Brian and I go back maybe 20 years when Brian built a super preforming 20 Knot tri for me. I am happy to see he is still innovating and messing with boats.

Brian does the aft placement of the mast encourage hobby horsing or does the forward tilt cause sufficient weight distribution fore and aft.
First off let me apologize for that lousy rendition of aft-mast Domino. It was done very hurried a few years back by partial eraser and overlaying of two dwgs (by a not so savvy computer guy...me) , and never reworked.

Actually I think the combo of the aft placement of the mast, and the relatively shorter mast of that rig should not promote very much of a hobby-horse effect. The Tennant hull design (significant fore-to-aft asymmetry) of that vessel should also dampen any hobby horsing.

I had met the owners of that boat on their way thru Annapolis a number of years ago,...and on a damp and rainy day. So I never really got a thorough look thru their boat. I keep following their trek around the world, and always marveled at the owners own capabilities to keep things fixed (plus he built the boat in a somewhat remote location). I think it was on one of his extended Pacific trips, that they made an inquiry as to the feasibility of installing a sailing rig to make it a 'motorsailer'.

I think it would have made a very nice motorsailer

A catamaran motorsailer has always interested me. The things that have turned me off from a standard cat sailboat are poor engine room access, unprotected saildrives, and price. Does/has anyone build a cat with protected shaft drives with a real prop, and decent size engine compartment where I could sit on a bucket on either side of the engine and work, and then a small sail plan for assist?

A catamaran motorsailer has always interested me. The things that have turned me off from a standard cat sailboat are poor engine room access, unprotected saildrives, and price. Does/has anyone build a cat with protected shaft drives with a real prop, and decent size engine compartment where I could sit on a bucket on either side of the engine and work, and then a small sail plan for assist?
I don't know of too many builders taking the concept of motorsailers to heart these days,....but future fuel prices could change that. And there are not so many buyers out there that have the desire or time to fully utilize the long range capabilities of motorsailers.

The long thin hulls of a catamaran don't exactly give you room to locate the engines deeply down in hulls and still give room for work-around. But mount the engines up higher and provide for a parallel shaft down below. and you might gain that room you are searching for.
Tennant Hull V ChainDrive

By small rig I assume you want something easy to handle? All 3 sails on my rig simply roll up and roll out. And the 'spread of sail area' allows you to adjust the total sail area deployed, as well as balance it out for directional control.

Last edited:
Diesel electric propulsion has never really caught on in recreational boats. Seems to me that a cat driven by electric motors with a remotely mounted generator(s) would be a great application for the technology.

Ted

Diesel electric propulsion has never really caught on in recreational boats. Seems to me that a cat driven by electric motors with a remotely mounted generator(s) would be a great application for the technology.

Ted

That's an interesting idea. Remote mount the genset higher up so it's easy to work on. The only thing mounted down low is the elec motor.

Brian Eiland wrote: "The long thin hulls of a catamaran don't exactly give you room to locate the engines deeply down in hulls and still give room for work-around. But mount the engines up higher and provide for a parallel shaft down below. and you might gain that room you are searching for.
Tennant Hull V ChainDrive
"

and OC Diver wrote: "Diesel electric propulsion has never really caught on in recreational boats. Seems to me that a cat driven by electric motors with a remotely mounted generator(s) would be a great application for the technology."

Interesting stuff. Have long thought the same. Diesel-electric has been around for such a long time, it seems ripe for adaptation to small yachts where efficiency, good weight distribution, quiet operation and optimal space utilization are valued. I've been imagining a set-up with an electric propulsion motor in each hull of a cat, battery banks located low and amidships, and a diesel genset positioned more-or-less centrally and somewhat higher, where it can be easily serviced. Maybe two gensets, one small for topping-off the batteries for intermittent / low speed operation, the other a higher-output set for operating at speed or in conjunction with other power demands.

If anyone recalls the old Multihulls Magazine (ca. the 1970s), wasn't there an article that proposed something similar? I seem to recall the writer envisioned hydraulic propulsion motors down in the hulls, with a single engine and hydraulic power takeoff. The proposed application was a cruising sail catamaran, so weight mattered. Thus, the drive units were to be small, as was the power source. It was meant strictly for close-quarters maneuvering and limited powering in a dead flat calm. (Unless I'm imagining all this - it's been forty some years).

There are problems with hydraulic drives, of course. Leaks, for one, energy transfer loss, for another. I think there also used be greater concern about flammability, especially if the stuff became overheated under pressure, but more recent products are reportedly less volatile.

In any case, Ted is certainly right that the market has yet to reward diesel-electric innovators. Look at the outfit in SE Florida that marketed re-powered Grand Banks boats using hybrid systems. I thought (and still think) it's a great idea, but not enough others agreed.

Reuben Trane (sp?) at this forum built a cat with electric propulsion and covered it with solar panels. Believe it has a diesel generator too. Search for his posts for specifics.

RJTrane I believe was his screen name

Diesel Electric Propulsion

If you take a look at other portions on that webpage you will see I had given some thoughts to that subject as well...

DynaRig MotorSailer
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]B) Diesel-Electric Powerplants: The rim drive units are electrically driven, so they would require some portion of the latest technologies associated with the ever expanding 'diesel/electric propulsion' technologies: [/FONT]

• [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Diesel/electric power generating units preclude the need for additional
    'auxiliary generator(s)'…fewer engines required onboard.
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Entire vessel could be powered by versatile options:[/FONT]
    1. [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] 1 single big main-unit[/FONT]
    2. [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] 2 equal-size units[/FONT]
    3. [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] 2 unequal size units, for a high or low power need[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Considerable amounts of electric power would be available for all auxiliary equipments onboard, as well as for sail winching & furling operations[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Diesel/Electric Propulsion for Sailboats - Boat Design Forums[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]C) Conventional Propeller Drive: For those clients concerned about the new diesel-electric technologies, there are several conventional propeller configurations: [/FONT]

• [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Tradition shaft drive from 'canoe stern' hull form (not shown)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Outdrive style drive leg with chain-belt driving single or dual props[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Conventional propeller propulsion could be augmented with Steyr engine/generator combo-units to dispense with auxiliary generators.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]
    [/FONT]

Taken from Sailing wildling https://sailwildling.com/

"One engine is usually enough
I experimented more with engine speeds and combinations during this trip, as we had a few days of dead calms and some days of very light headwinds where we had to motor. There is not much difference between running one and two engines. Here’s what I recorded in calm conditions:
single engine at 1,900 rpm = 5 knots
single engine at 2,500 rpm = 5.8 knots
both engines at 1,900 rpm = 6 knots
both engines at 2,500 rpm = 7 knots
If we add the sails and use the apparent wind created when motoring, we pick up an extra 0.5 to 1 knot, so even with one engine at 1,900 we were doing 6+ knots most of the time. I found 1,900 rpm to be the best setting for our engines as they are running smoothly with no vibrations and are quiet, and they use much less fuel. We used less than 1 tank of diesel per engine for our entire trip."

For such a efficient hull form sailing cats tend to be slow under power.

A catamaran motorsailer doesn't have so much appeal to me, as the 2 biggest advantages of a motorsailer are not as obvious as compared to a monohull.

1. Roll stabilization is not requred nearly as much as a monhull.
2. Backup get home power is not required as they almost all have dual engines.

You'd have some saving in fuel, but the cost of maintaining the rigging would probably cancel out the savings.

..sounds like a SWATH catamaran... :D:D:D:D

I have a Fontaine Pajot Maryland 37 with an intermittent windlass in the up mode. Does anyone know where I can find the windlass solenoid?

Bought a replacement but look foolish not finding it!

Mine is mounted next to the windlass batteries.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom