Survey/ Generator who is 1800 and who is 3600RPM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

101TUG

Vessel Name
Soler Fox
Vessel Make
Selene 62
Hello,

I'm interesting to make survey to know who have 1500 or 1800RPM generator and who have 3000 or 3600RPM and how many hours do you have on it.:confused:

Hugues

1,800 rpm <700 Hr.

Ted

The new boat will have an 1800 rpm Northern lights 6kw generator.

I installed a 3600 rpm Fisher Panda 4200 Plus on our sailboat a couple of years ago. I know that people go into convulsions at the thought of Fischer Panda but I rather liked the little unit. It was nicely made, it had decent documentation with enough information that I could understand how it worked, it was actually very quiet, especially compared to some of the other small generators and it took whatever I threw at it for loads.

I've been aboard an American Tug 395 when the generator is running and there is no question that the Northern lights unit is quieter and does not have the "buzz" of the 3600 rpm unit. I did not find either objectionable...

We had put less than 200 hours on the FP before trading the boat in so I can't be of help answering questions about durability...

Bruce

The new boat will have an 1800 rpm Northern lights 6kw generator.

I installed a 3600 rpm Fisher Panda 4200 Plus on our sailboat a couple of years ago. I know that people go into convulsions at the thought of Fischer Panda but I rather liked the little unit. It was nicely made, it had decent documentation with enough information that I could understand how it worked, it was actually very quiet, especially compared to some of the other small generators and it took whatever I threw at it for loads.

I've been aboard an American Tug 395 when the generator is running and there is no question that the Northern lights unit is quieter and does not have the "buzz" of the 3600 rpm unit. I did not find either objectionable...

We had put less than 200 hours on the FP before trading the boat in so I can't be of help answering questions about durability...

Bruce

Tanks Bruce, yes 200H that not a lot to tell the durable generator :D

Tanks Bruce, yes 200H that not a lot to tell the durable generator :D

My understanding is the majority of generators die of both under use and insufficient loading. Every manufacturer will stress the importance of both.
I'm sure that bad installations play a part in premature generator death too.
Bruce

My understanding is the majority of generators die of both under use and insufficient loading. Every manufacturer will stress the importance of both.
I'm sure that bad installations play a part in premature generator death too.
Bruce

for me one of the major problem is sea water leak from the pump and make so much damage but all what I saw that 3600RPM this is lot for diesel engine :banghead:

for me one of the major problem is sea water leak from the pump and make so much damage but all what I saw that 3600RPM this is lot for diesel engine :banghead:

We have to remove sound shields and look...
No excuse for getting caught with lots of damage due to inattentive sloppy maintenance.
Bruce

We have to remove sound shields and look...
No excuse for getting caught with lots of damage due to inattentive sloppy maintenance.
Bruce

we know but so many people don't look same people never open car bonnet :face palm:

but this water pump make so much generator destruction :D

5kW Northern lights, 1800rpm. About 5600hrs.

I would strongly suggest avoiding any 3600rpm gennie. Get a three cyl 1800.

1996 westerbeke 8BT 1400 hours 1800 rpm
I just replaced the heat exchanger with a new Cupro nickel one.
Other than belts and impellers it is my only major repair

1800 rpm Yanmar-based Maspower 8k here with 700 hours. It was vibrating like hell but recently fixed that with better mounts. So far no issues. Did replace the raw water pump recently.

PO had installed a 7.5kW Onan (1800) and a 2.5kW MASE (3600). The Onan was likely a 1980's unit and pretty tired. The MASE a late 1990's addition and poorly installed. I only started each of them once. Both ran fine under load (5 minutes) but were removed during refit.

I now have 2kW of solar, a Honda eu2000 and 200A alternators on each engine. The Honda has less than 10 hours use after 2 years. No aircon, otherwise a 5kW Northern Lights would have been installed.

5kW Northern Lights 1800 RPM with approximately 700 hours. Runs great. Just finished putting 7 hours on for the boat parade. I love the gennie. Easy to get at for service and all service points are pretty much on one side, reasonable noise (I don't have a sound shield), and runs everything I need.

I'm thinking about adding a sound shield but haven't done much research yet.

Onan MDKD 6.5KW, 1800rpm. Hours unknown, a reman unit in the boat when I bought 7 years ago. Quiet,smooth, good unit, in a sound shield. At a recent service, the mechanic remarked it`s a good genset.

Last edited:
Only 1800's. Highest hours we have would be around 1200 hours. No issues with any of our generators.

1800 rpm Westie 5500 hrs

4600 hours, Westerbeke 8kw. We are able to load the generator when used with two 100+ amp chargers, a 750 watt water heater and refrigeration.

1800, 8 Kw Kohler (Yanmar 3-cyl. diesel), ~980-ish hours.

-Chris

1800 4kw Kohler with Yanmar 2gm engine--approx. 500 hours.

Installed a 1800 rpm, 2 cylinder, yanmar driven generator in last spring made by Alpha, a small outfit out of Pompano Beach, FL. Less than 100 hours so far. No sound shield and it does vibrate more than a 3 cylinder but it fits the space, is easy to service and appears to be well constructed. It was a new, self install and the company owner's communication was supportive and prompt. The boat and bill's both belong to my father but it was about $7.5k including all supporting systems (fuel system, thru hulls, hoses, electrical) which is a bargain.

Attachments

• 5kw-yanmar.jpg
    5kw-yanmar.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Northern Lights, 8K, 1800rpm, 3cyl, 450hrs.

Wow, only three have responded with significant hours on their generators. Argues against worrying about whether a 3,600 rpm or 1,800 rpm is the better fit for most boats.

1800 westerbeke 8 BTD 2175 hrs. Approximately 1987 set. Recently pronounced doa with 265-275 psi compression in all three cyl. 50 psi below rebuild spec. Nothing but trouble for me in last 3 years. Gen end was rebuilt in 2013 with less than 100 hrs. Fairly quiet and smooth without enclosure when it ran. Not going WB again. Probably will part-out.

Kohler 8 KW, 1800 RPM, 413 hours. 2003 boat and I've put more hours on it in two years than the two previous owners combined.

2-14kw @1800 came with the boat. An Onan MDL3 and Perkins 4108. Both with glazed cylinders from light running. Perkins was no problem to overhaul, but Onan wants to sell a new one. I no longer have an electric stove, so planning on dumping the Onan for a much smaller generator. I will never have another Onan/Cummings product because of parts issues.

Back
Top Bottom