View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
Steve
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Morse Cables

Shifting the transmission is quite rough*from the flybridge shifter on Gumbo 2003 equipment. I am*sometimes worried the*mechanism will strip or break, per Murphy,*at the worst moment. From the lower helm the shifting is smooth and effortless*

I*am quite sure this is due to the long and very*twisted path the cables must*take to the lower helm, especially the tight fit*through the "wire chase"*which is jam packed with wires, hoses and*cables. *

I*am wondering it there have been improvements in the materials or design in shifter*cable technology, maybe thinner, more flexible or easier sliding cables. I know electronic shifters are available but would rather stick*a mechanical system*if possible.

Any suggestions as to what can be done to ease the problem The shifter machanisms seem in good shape and are lubed I undestand the cables are not meant to be lubed.

*I haven't thought much about the electrionc system anybody* here using them or have ideas pro or con? Idea of price?

A friend have the electronic version on his boat and said it works well but there is a slight delay hitch takes some getting used to.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote