Snow Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Budds Outlet

I'm snowed in at home today.* We have 16 inches on the ground and its still coming down.* We have pleanty of food but I am worried about the beer rations.

Wow we have 86 Inches and then this.
<h1>Fire consumes Whittier's only liquor store</h1>*
Alaska Dispatch | Oct 25, 2011

Whittier, the tiny town behind the tunnel, the town thats been dubbed The Strangest Town in Alaska, is now without a liquor store. Firefighters arrived at the Outpost, the liquor store near Whittiers harbor at about 1 p.m. to find the structure ablaze. The crew--about 18 in all including a crew from Girdwood, and volunteers from the tunnelfaced 45 to 50 mile winds and were thrashed by waves of sea water as they fought the flames.

The fire was extinguished by 3 p.m., said Interim City Manager Bob Prunella. The structures around the businessmany of them small shacks that sell t-shirts and seafood to visiting touristswere all saved.

The firefighter did everything right, Prunella said.

The cause of the fire is undetermined.

Prunella thinks that the owner of the Outpost is away in Thailand, and has heard that he has hired someone to manager the store while he is away. He has never been in the store, so he couldnt describe it.

For those more inclined to imbibe, there are still two bars open year-round in Whittier: the Whittier Inn and The Anchor.

He is still in Thiland and still no liquor store.

we have to bring it in by dog sled.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 18th of January 2012 12:15:04 PM

skipperdude wrote:
Wow we have 86 Inches and then this.
<h1>Fire consumes Whittier's only liquor store</h1>*
Alaska Dispatch | Oct 25, 2011

Whittier, the tiny town behind the tunnel, the town thats been dubbed The Strangest Town in Alaska, is now without a liquor store.

It's a shame to have all that ice and no liquor. I hate having ice left over when the liquor's gone. *Maybe you can get a Russian ice breaker to bring some.

A tanker of wadka.

*Now that's an idea.

SD

skipperdude wrote:
A tanker of wadka.

*Now that's an idea.

SD
*Or a boatload of Bourbon.

Maybe a Shipload of Scotch.

A barge of beer.

How far can this go?

SD

Budds Outlet wrote:
I'm snowed in at home today.* We have 16 inches on the ground and its still coming down.* We have pleanty of food but I am worried about the beer rations.
I believe that is what 911 is for.* Duh...

Beer11

Now that is an idea!!!!

Are we board or what??

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 18th of January 2012 02:16:39 PM

A lighter of liquor.

A dinghy of Dewars?

A raft of Rum?

A freighter of fifths?

Your turn.

A winter without booze is .......a long time.

To repeat myself:

Grand Banks full of Grand Marnier?

Delfin wrote:Budds Outlet wrote:

Thank you so much Delfin.* In my panic I lost all perspective and could not think straight.* Of course a call to 911 would address the issue.

Budds Outlet wrote:Delfin wrote:Budds Outlet wrote:

Thank you so much Delfin.* In my panic I lost all perspective and could not think straight.* Of course a call to 911 would address the issue.

Where have you people been? The number one recommended disaster preparedness item for the home is a liberal supply of your preferred beverage. A three day supply of water, and at least a seven day supply of bourbon is my own minimum, as I like a little water on the side.*

Humm, Thursday AM update -- Ice storm, the Governor just declared a state of emergency, the airport is shut down and 100,000 are without power.

sunchaser wrote:
Humm, Thursday AM update -- Ice storm, the Governor just declared a state of emergency, the airport is shut down and 100,000 are without power.
*Much more civil up here in Bellingham. Nineteen degrees, no wind and no freezing rain. Accumulated seven inches of snow over the last few days, but most will be gone by tomorrow.

Carey wrote:
Where have you people been? The number one recommended disaster preparedness item for the home is a liberal supply of your preferred beverage. A three day supply of water, and at least a seven day supply of bourbon is my own minimum, as I like a little water on the side.*

Absolutely! A rule that I live (and will probably die) by.

As Tom Lehrer puts it: Be Prepared

dwhatty wrote:Carey wrote:

Absolutely! A rule that I live (and will probably die) by.

As Tom Lehrer puts it: Be Prepared

David

That was awesome. I need to memorize it.*

-- Edited by Carey on Thursday 19th of January 2012 03:38:22 PM

I took inventory today, 100 gallons of fresh water, 2 Half gallons Crown, 1 fifth Crown, 1/2 gallon Captain Morgan, 13 fifths Drambuie, 1/2 gallon Vodka, 2 fifths flavored vodka, 1 fifth Kahlua, 2 fifths Patron, Half case pop, 1 case beer. Along with miscelaneous canned foods, packaged foods, chips, canned meats, frozen meats, vegetables, and a 1/2 gallon milk.

I'm set for any snow storm that hits Tucson. I do drain and refill the fresh water every other week to keep it fresh. For those that wonder, this is in the motorhome. The trawler is safe, warm and dry inside it's boathouse in Pt Orchard.

Ken

Inside a boat house in Port Orgard is not save with 1+ ft of snow to absorb all the rain that is coming. The Evetet Marine spend all day taking the snow off the roofs. 10 years ago when the boats *sank snd roof came down with the*weight. I also clean the snow off the boat.* We do not drink alcoholic beverages, but the coffee pot is on.

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Friday 20th of January 2012 09:55:12 AM

2bucks wrote:
I took inventory today, 100 gallons of fresh water, 2 Half gallons Crown, 1 fifth Crown, 1/2 gallon Captain Morgan, 13 fifths Drambuie, 1/2 gallon Vodka, 2 fifths flavored vodka, 1 fifth Kahlua, 2 fifths Patron, Half case pop, 1 case beer. Along with miscelaneous canned foods, packaged foods, chips, canned meats, frozen meats, vegetables, and a 1/2 gallon milk.

I'm set for any snow storm that hits Tucson. I do drain and refill the fresh water every other week to keep it fresh. For those that wonder, this is in the motorhome. The trawler is safe, warm and dry inside it's boathouse in Pt Orchard.

Ken
I must say Ken, that you put the average Boy Scout to shame with your level of preparedness. See you at 5 o'clock.
biggrin.gif

"Whittier the Strangest Town in Alaska"

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

A town in Alaska without a liquor store would be strange indeed.

Eric

Phil Fill wrote:
Inside a boat house in Port Orgard is not save with 1+ ft of snow to absorb all the rain that is coming. The Evetet Marine spend all day taking the snow off the roofs. 10 years ago when the boats *sank snd roof came down with the*weight. I also clean the snow off the boat.* We do not drink alcoholic beverages, but the coffee pot is on.

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Friday 20th of January 2012 09:55:12 AM
*Same boathouse survived the last ice storm in 1995(?) without even getting the wood wet. Most houses that didn't crumble from rot had walkways awash from the weight pushing them down. The guy that built my house (me) put enough flotation in to allow for aging and for added loads.

The report I got yesterday from my boats caretaker was 4" of snow, saturated with water and frozen to ice. He said you couldn't tell it was carrying extra weight.

Our Yacht Club suffered damage to the common cover section last time like most marinas did. The maintenance guys added a water distribution system to the peak of the roof so now they just pump relatively warm sea water up to the peak and allow it to melt the snow before the ice forms. This will be the biggest event we've seen since that addition so it will be interesting to see how well it works under real conditions.

I'll set out a couple extra glasses and a coffee cup. Do you want yours with ice or neat Carey?

2bucks wrote:

I'll set out a couple extra glasses and a coffee cup. Do you want yours with ice or neat Carey?

Ken

Make mine a double, neat.**
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom