Rods For Trolling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
Looking to purchase a couple of rods for trolling between the Islands next year. I have light spinning tackle for use in the anchorages, but am looking for information on what to use while motoring along at 7-8kts. Not looking for billfish - but mahi, yellowfin etc. Will probably use cedar plugs and plastics.

What do you recommend. Links to rods and reels would be helpful.

I suggest giving hopkins carter a call to see what they have available...

But my preference for meat fishing, that can handle anything from small Mahi to 200 pound tuna would be a short stand up rod with star or lever drag reel.

Like this... Offshore Angler Ocean Master Lever Drag/OMSU Stand-Up Rod and Reel Combo | Bass Pro Shops: The Best Hunting, Fishing, Camping & Outdoor Gear

If you want more sport, the sky is the limit....but just for getting fish aboard while cruising....something inexpensive but still practical.

I have under 6 foot tuna sticks with 4/0 Penn senators from my old halibut and tuna days that would be my go to rod and reels. They work perfect for this kind of fishing unless you really want to have fun on light tackle.

Many cruisers prefer just hand lines as they are actually can be easier to bring in all but very large fish.

That looks like the ticket. I will be reaching out to Hopkins soon regarding an EPIRB anyway so will see what he has.

That looks like the ticket. I will be reaching out to Hopkins soon regarding an EPIRB anyway so will see what he has.
I love nice fishing gear...but mine got abused through being used and schlepped around for dozens of moves.

It's a shame to underutilized nice gear...so if only used 10 days a year and less than great storage.....I would go serviceabe bUT nit top of the line....

Places that sell some of the nicer combo sets for good deals often put them together if they are becoming old stock.

Been using a 4/0 Penn with 40# line and any lure of your choice. A ceder plug,plastic lure would be perfect. Use a 10+ leader so you can handline the fish to the boat as you are higher up than a sport fishing boat. Also a long handle gaff to get the fish aboard. Small lures way,way back will get you a tuna. Good luck.

What's your budget? You can spend $100-$1000 real easy for a rod. We have 3 - 5.5' 50lb standup rods. You could go as long as 6' but with the deck over hang the length becomes and issue. Reels: Penn, Shimono, Diawa, Okuma are a few. Again you can spend $100-$1000 quickly.

Don't forget a belt and a gaff. Fish On!!!

Star Rods EX3080C-6 Aerial Stand-up Rod

Daiwa SGT50H Seagate Conventional Reel | TackleDirect

Play Action Snap-On Rod Belt - Melton International Tackle

AFTCO Stick Gaffs - Melton International Tackle

Attachments

• 014a.jpg
    014a.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 87
I would suggest a 30# 5'6"-6'6" medium action stand up rod with Shimano TLD 25's. They are pretty versatile, rugged and a good value. If you want to treat yourself to 2 speed reels go for TLD 30's. I have some 30# penn rods which don't seem to be made anymore but apparently were replaced by the "carnage" line but Star brand rods have a good reputation and are very cost effective. I would stay away from roller guides. Spool the reals up with 30-50# test and buy some pre-rigged artificial lures from a local tackle shop.

West marine had these at a really good deal and are sold out here but this is what I'm talking about (give your local tackle shop or Hopcar a chance to give you a price on something similar):
SHIMANO TLD® Stand-Up Conventional Combo - 350yd./25lb. Test, 4.0:1 Ratio, Medium Action, 20-40lb. | West Marine

A inexpensive fishing belt or "T gimbal" device can make stand up fishing much more pleasant. The T gimbal things look like this (I'm sure you could make one from PVC):
Gimbal T.jpg
Durable Fishing Rod Gimbal Fighting Belts Waist T Rod Holder-14.20 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

Last edited:
Trolling for dorado, tuna and the occasional bill fish from the big boat in blue water, I wouldn't go anything smaller than 50lb. By the time you get the boat slowed down and you have the reel in hand you've already lost, 200 yards off the reel. A 20 lb dorado or tuna can spool reels with lighter line. We have 2-25 lb rods for dinghy fishing and even then we have lost fish for being undersized.

Trolling for dorado, tuna and the occasional bill fish from the big boat in blue water, I wouldn't go anything smaller than 50lb. By the time you get the boat slowed down and you have the reel in hand you've already lost, 200 yards off the reel. A 20 lb dorado or tuna can spool reels with lighter line. We have 2-25 lb rods for dinghy fishing and even then we have lost fish for being undersized.
Good point...that's why many sailors just go with dragging hand lines with long rubber snubber and at least 100 pound test, usually higher.

Hard to stop the boat, that is even if you notice "fish on" quickly.

Larry,
Do you have release clips on those outriggers? It looks like you could run a pretty 7 line spread with your setup.

Larry,
Do you have release clips on those outriggers? It looks like you could run a pretty 7 line spread with your setup.

lol It's usually mayhem enough with 2-3 rods out with the just the two of us. By the time we get the boat stopped, clear the other rods and see what we have, yahoo. Fishing: The most exciting thing you can do with your clothes on. :)

Attachments

• 80a.jpg
    80a.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 81
Nice bait.....any blues hit it? :D

Hot thread, seems to be a lot of pent up fishing interest.

White_marlin.jpg

Or eating interest..... :thumb:

I suggest giving hopkins carter a call to see what they have available...

But my preference for meat fishing, that can handle anything from small Mahi to 200 pound tuna would be a short stand up rod with star or lever drag reel.

Scott, that would be my recommendation. I have a pair of stand up 30# class rods with 30W Penn International reels. I have caught a little of everything on them. It's unbelievable how much pressure you can put on a fish with a 30# outfit. Spend a little money for the two speed reels. They save a lot of cranking on fast retrievals.

Last edited:
lol It's usually mayhem enough with 2-3 rods out with the just the two of us. By the time we get the boat stopped, clear the other rods and see what we have, yahoo. Fishing: The most exciting thing you can do with your clothes on. :)

I worked as a mate a couple years charter fishing offshore, one day towards the end of my first season a very experienced mate from a neighboring boat came along on a charter. We got covered up with yellow fin while trolling and while I'm clearing the only rod without a fish on it, he is on the other side of the boat launching more lines into the water. We have 6 customers and 6 fish on and I figured that is enough mayhem for me but for some guys there is never enough. As far as I know he is still fishing all around the globe.

I worked as a mate a couple years charter fishing offshore, one day towards the end of my first season a very experienced mate from a neighboring boat came along on a charter. We got covered up with yellow fin while trolling and while I'm clearing the only rod without a fish on it, he is on the other side of the boat launching more lines into the water. We have 6 customers and 6 fish on and I figured that is enough mayhem for me but for some guys there is never enough. As far as I know he is still fishing all around the globe.

:thumb: You cant beat days like that! The memories.

If you don't have live wells, you can toss some cut up (chunked) sardines or chovies over the side to keep them around for awhile (if you are lucky, because they often move on quickly) after the hook up. A handful every couple minutes off each side - chum.

Psneeld hit the nail on the head. Every year for the Miami boat show I put together a bunch of combos just as he describes and sell them at the show to sailors. I'd love to put something together for you.

He also mentioned hand lines. These are very popular with sailors as well. Down here we call them Cuban Yoyo's.

Can you PM me some options. Looking at just two combos.

Also looking at the GlobalFix™ V4 EPIRB, Category 1, 406 GPS ACR-2830 that you sell. Is that a decent quality EPIRB?

I like to use these instead of fighting belts or the T gizmo to protect your crotch from the rod butt.

Luna Sea Cush-it | TackleDirect

I also mount rod holders up on the fly bridge so someone doesn't have to sit on the aft deck waiting for a strike.

As someone mentioned, shorter stand up rods are easiest to stow. And 40-50lbs is about the lightest line I'd use.

The best all around lures I've found are big lipped plugs that run 6 - 15+ under the surface.

I've caught tuna, wahoo, dolphin, grouper, barracuda, mackerel, etc. on them.

If you're going to run plastic high speed lures or cedar plugs rig them the Japanese scissor rig style and they will run almost weedless.

Last edited:
One thing I would advise, do not use lures with multiple or treble hooks! It wont be easy to land the fish by yourself on a trawler to begin with, and you don't want to get a hook in YOU while the the other end is attached to a thrashing, flopping fish.
I'd stick with spoons jigs and feathers, there are a few single hook
plastic lures made too.
Be sure to carry a stout billy club too!

Sorry, can't help. I "fish" at the supermarket. :blush:

Be sure to carry a stout billy club too!

Cheap booze is fast and easier. Just pour it into the fishes gills.

Stuns them right away.

And with no chance of missing the fish and hitting your varnished rail or your foot. :D

Does that booze reduce on grilling!

I like to use these instead of fighting belts or the T gizmo to protect your crotch from the rod butt.

Luna Sea Cush-it | TackleDirect

As someone mentioned, shorter stand up rods are easiest to stow. And 40-50lbs is about the lightest line I'd use.

I laughed at first but I will check them out.

Laughed? At my verbiage or the product? :D

We keep one of those belts on board during our trolling season, and it's often been very useful. Especially for when ladies are in line for dragging in the stripers... but also for some of the macho guys who start out trying to wrestle a big rockfish in with arm strength alone.

Our fishing is lightweight compared to open ocean, but FWIW I've got several Shakespeare Tidewater rods, and Bob The Mate brings a boatload of 6'5" Penn Slammers. Nothing fancy. They come in various stiffness ratings. Of the two shorter Tidewaters -- one 5'5" and one 6' -- the shorter is rated for up to 80-lb line and the latter is for up to 50-lb line, I think.

The reels we use (these days) are all Penn (now discontinued) GTi/GT2 level-wind star-drag models... mostly for 30-lb line... selected (partly by budget) simply because they work fine and standardization helps in our situation (instructions for whomever Bob puts on the rod at any given time are always the same). These maybe aren't robust enough for really heavy fish -- except for maybe "occasionally" -- but the level-wind feature is useful and would likely be so in many circumstances.

-Chris

I too like those level wind GTi reels. I've caught fish up to 50 lbs or so on them.

I load them with braided line so they can hold more line.

For fishing underway I forget the rod and use a handline with 400lb+ line, a stainless leader and swivel with a 10' bungy at the boat end. I attach a bell so when a fish is on I hear it over the sound of the engine. I have boated lots of big tuna, dorado, wahoo with this cheap set up
Hollywood

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom