New dock cart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
I just started building a new dock cart , actually it's a modified garden cart but we are going to use it at the dock . I was bored and wanted a simple woodworking project so I bought a Garden Cart plan book and modified it some to fit our needs. We have dock carts available but some people don't return them :banghead: I got tired of trying to run one down every time.I know I could've bought a plastic cheaper one but this one has been fun to build. I still need to paint it and do little more modifying. It rolls like a dream with those 26" cart tires . We have a new slip with some extra deck space and we'll keep it there . We're gonna name it "This is not your cart" :)
Every Mother Earth luvin ,organic urban yuppie needs one of these .:flowers:

Attachments

• IMG_2446.jpg
    IMG_2446.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
The Jan/Feb issue of Woodenboat Magazine has gone you one better. They show how to make your dinghy do double duty as a wheelbarrow. A wheel is partially buried withing the bow flotation compartment (our under the bow thwart, at least), with its lower arc protruding low enough to roll on the ground, and the gunwale strakes are carried aft of the transom far enough to serve as handles. What could be more nautical?

Nice!!! Time to load that thing up with beer and ice

7 days. That's how long it's going to be before some well intentioned boater borrows it and forgets to return it.

Ted

"Nice!!! Time to load that thing up with beer and ice"

Don't forget a drain if you close the end up! Maybe even put a fold out platform from the cargo area that will double as a portable cot. Add a tent top and have an all weather multi function domestic two wheeled conveyance. Go into production and sell to the government. I think you are on to something!

I feel your pain, Marty. It seemed that everytime I needed one, it wasn't available. Now I keep a $50 folding canvas wagon from Costco in my trunk. Sure, it takes up some space, but it's always there when I need it. Yours is much larger. Nice job!

It looks fine and should do the job. The disadvantage of course is you still have to walk to your slip to get it and back to the car to load it. Same when you leave the marina, you have to walk it back to your slip.

We have the same problem with inconsiderate boaters at our marina. They don't bring the carts back.

I suggest storing it upside down to keep the rain out and locking it to your dock.

Nice job! Only one suggestion, switch to solid tires. I've got one of the fancy folding ones and the damn tires are flat every time I want to use it.

Surely your berth neighbors will enjoy the cart in your absence! ... If I moved from the marina-supplied cart, I'd get one that's collapsible so as to return to car when not in immediate personal use.

(Much prefer cement over wooden docks.)

Almost done . Still have to add some aluminum to the edges and corners .

Attachments

• IMG_2460.jpg
    IMG_2460.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 67
One more pic

Attachments

• IMG_2461.jpg
    IMG_2461.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 60
Surely your berth neighbors will enjoy the cart in your absence! ... If I moved from the marina-supplied cart, I'd get one that's collapsible so as to return to car when not in immediate personal use.

(Much prefer cement over wooden docks.)
They'll have to pick the lock

Nix the aluminum.
I even like the color.

It may not ever make it to the dock if Joy decides she needs it at the house . I used one sheet of 5x5 Baltic birch plywood.The wheels are set back far enough for the cart to be stored on the end . The plans are from the Whizbang Garden Cart Book .

Last edited:
Marty, looking at that thing of beauty, someone might think you know something about wood working. Nice!

Marty, what are the vertical pieces that come higher than the box used for?
I like the way you finished the ends.

I'd regret owning a cart that pretty. If I parked that thing next to my boat, it'd make my boat look even worse!

It's bad enough that I have to stoop to using artist's renderings to make my boat look good. I'll be damned before I'll park a piece of woodworking artistry next to my float! Gimme a dumpy looking marina cart any day! :D :hide:

Al, you exaggerate the negative appearance of your boat. It looks good to me!

Marty, what are the vertical pieces that come higher than the box used for?
I like the way you finished the ends.
I'm not sure why those corner blocks are extended up . It might help to dump a load of leaves or when mucking out a horse stall. I just built it to the plans and only modified it a little . One guy that built one took a piece of plywood ,added some cleats to the bottom and cut two square holes in it. His doubles as a work bench .

I'd regret owning a cart that pretty. If I parked that thing next to my boat, it'd make my boat look even worse!

It's bad enough that I have to stoop to using artist's renderings to make my boat look good. I'll be damned before I'll park a piece of woodworking artistry next to my float! Gimme a dumpy looking marina cart any day! :D :hide:

What you talkin bout Willis? I love the look of your boat .

I got the idea from my dock neighbor that has a home built steel shanti boat.He has a cart that he built thirty years ago and it still looks good and his self built boat is a real work of art. He uses his boat like you do , even turkey hunts every year with it at Land Between The Lakes.He anchors in his favorite cove , dinghys to shore in his self built fishing boat and comes back with a couple turkeys every time.
I found the plans while thumbing through a Mother Earth magazine at the doctors office (go figure) . It was a korny thing to build but I was looking for a low stress , old man kind of woodworking project . Years ago the guy that designed the cart had photo contests annually and would hand out a 100 bucks to the best cart.
It may not ever make it to the boat . We have a bunch of leaves the yard (thanks to our neighbors ) that we may use it for. It rolls pretty easy with just one hand, keeping the other hand available for your cell phone .:D

Last edited:
Almost done . Still have to add some aluminum to the edges and corners .

I used to garden for a hobby before I got into boating. I got all the magazines and books. I remember seeing those carts as plans and kits.

FlyWright maybe you should move this thread to "Off The Deep End" . I'm pretty sure I'm starting to loose it .

Let me suggest some replaceable metal tips on the legs. People at our marina wear out the legs of the carts by setting them down on the pavement before they've stopped moving.

Done

Attachments

• IMG_2442.jpg
    IMG_2442.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 48
Thanks , It was fun to build.

Attachments

• IMG_2443.jpg
    IMG_2443.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 53

Latest posts

Back