Old 12-19-2016, 07:31 AM   #20
Tony B
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
.....we'll leave Seabrook the first week of March and get to Mobile in early April. ......
.... cell service between Mobile and Joe Wheeler? Paul
i am about to call Blue Dolphin Marina this morning. That will be our final destination for the year.
Cell service was very good most of the way. Of course, there are some small areas of no service, but overall - very good. We have Verizon and a Jet Pack for our own wi-fi. Most marinas along the way as well as most anchorages had cell service and Wi-Fi. The operative word being "most".
You will absolutely love Joe Wheeler. Also, if time permits, I would also suggest a few days or more in Chattanooga, Tn. - about 220 miles (I think) from Joe Wheeler. Also, as a gotta see, if possible, is Telico Lake (Little Tenn. River) about 350 miles past Joe Wheeler.

Three years ago, we waited several months in Ms. before we were able to safely ( the boat's safety, that is) go up the river due to logs. A year ago June, we helped a friend bring a new-to-him sailboat he bought in Mobile, up to Joe Wheeler. He was having someone in mobile check the river conditions for him. It wasn't until mid-may that they recommended he go up river. June worked out beter for him for time off from work. Once you get about 50 miles north of downtown Mobile, the trash and logs becomes noticably less.
I'm sure others here have different experiences.