What about a 35 Californian sedan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fighterpilot

Now considering a 1985, 35 foot*Californian sedan vice the 34LRC. Any weaknesses in that boat, things I should look closely at etc? What is cruise speed with 3208 NA cats?I would like to run at least at 16 knots.Can you pilot from the lower helm at cruise? Logs in the water aren't an issue here on the Gulf Coast. Buoys and other boats are..Thanks

Actually it is a Convertible not sedan as broker had told me. Made 1985-1987. If anyone has experience with them I would appreciate a conversation. Thanks*

-- Edited by Fighterpilot on Friday 22nd of April 2011 02:44:52 PM

Yes that is what the boatdiesel.com calculator says as well as my prop shop guy. My powerboat guide book is Parker and McKnew and is says that as well. We have come to terms on price and will sea trial and survey next week. Based upon brief discussion with the owner, much to the chagrin of the broker, he, the owner indicated he had never seen those numbers. Don't know if props are wrong or owner never pushed it hard enough to get it up on plane. Maybe didn't know how to use trim tabs either. At haul out will try to get prop numbers, but I can not find anywhere the props size that came on a 1985 Californian Convertible with twin 3208 210HP NA cats. so even with the existing prop numbers that are on it I still may not know where I am regarding performance.

Tried to find the links listed by searching them with Google. Nothing came up. Do you know the name of the guide book?

-- Edited by Fighterpilot on Wednesday 27th of April 2011 05:08:33 PM

Well, to put the finishing touches on this saga I seatrialed the Californian 35 Convertible and was quite disappointed. With a clean, freshly painted hull, 1/4 fuel, 5 people only could achieve 16knots wot, turning 2800 rpm on the old 3208s. Backed down to 2400 and dropped down to 12 knots. The props were 21x20 and were shinny clean. Boat was very nice, but way under powered unless you want to go trawler speed. Passed on it. Still looking. Thanks for all you help.

that is disappointing.
how did you measure the speed?
did you feel like you were on a plane or plowing?

Boat had an E80 Raymarine system and I had a hand held GPS. Hard to say if it was truly on plane, but my son-in-law thought it was. If that was so it was marginal. Thanks for all the information, FP.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom