shaft coupling removal 43 mainship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sanderling18

Vessel Name
Irish Jig
Vessel Make
Eastern 22 CC
How do i remove the shaft coupling or what brand is it. ZF V drive trans with QSC 8.3 engine

I need to replace a worn shaft packing seal.

Here is a pic, it is not something i have seen before, it is about 14-17" long with the same bolt configuration on the other end, bolt heads not nuts.

hope the picture posts

Attachments

• IMG_3700.jpg
    IMG_3700.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 163
Can you show the whole coupling? Those bolts must lead to nuts or threads in something. The part we are seeing is probably con a tapered shaft end with a large retaining nut inside it. Special tools can be required to get the big nut off. But that's just a guess without seeing the rest of the coupling.

The assembly that includes blue and black parts near the center of your picture looks like a drip less shaft seal. The coupler should be on the left of the picture but it is only partly visible.

How do i remove the shaft coupling or what brand is it. ZF V drive trans with QSC 8.3 engine

I need to replace a worn shaft packing seal.

This is my biggest gripe with dripless seals.
The coupling must be removed to replace any parts, a royal PITA, twice again the pain because of the V-drive.
Hope to hell you never have to replace one at sea!

This is my biggest gripe with dripless seals.
The coupling must be removed to replace any parts, a royal PITA, twice again the pain because of the V-drive.
Hope to hell you never have to replace one at sea!

Some you can change seals without pulling back the shaft.

Looks like a Tides Marine seal. It does not appear to have the optional replacement seal kit installed though...
Bruce

You separate the shaft coupling from the transmission coupling by removing the bolts. Then you put something like a socket (about shaft diameter) between the couplings, put the bolts back and tighten. The shaft coupling should move.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom