PFD with CO2 cartridge on an airplane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Just curious, I have a pfd with a CO2 cartridge that I want to bring with me to Vancouver via an Air Canada flight.

Anyone think I'll have a problem getting it on the flight and into Canada?

Thanks,
Mike

Should not be any issue if you put it in your registered baggage. But do not try to put iut in your hand bag:D

My son flew to Palm Springs and I had to provide him with cycling CO2s when he arrived, due to flying restrictions. Same kind of CO2 cartidges.

Last edited:
My son flew to Palm Springs and I had to provide him with cycling CO2s when he arrived, due to flying restrictions. Same kind of CO2 cartidges.

Correct, illegal by air and for good reason.

Personal use life rafts cannot be carried on BC ferries if moving to mainland for servicing without Hazmat license. That one I do overlook.

On Alaska Airlines you can fly with a CO2 cartridge in the same bag as the PFD. The cartridge cannot be installed in the PFD in an armed condition. I am pretty sure that extends to other airlines but don't know whether they would follow it or not.

Tom

Also keep in mind that the rule as written may not be well understood by those on site so that there could be a delay regardless of your preparation.

jeez.. pull the cartridge and buy a new one one arrival. 2 bucks

I just brought two vests up, and as previously stated Alaska Airlines allows them and allows for one spare cartridge per vest. I bought the 5 year rated vests, as the cost of the charging units and the vest on the two year vest was more than the 5 year model.

Shipping to Alaska was half the price of the vest, so having it shipped free to my folks place in Arizona and carrying them up as checked baggage saved me serious buck$. It's hard to beat Hodges Marine prices, free shipping to the lower 48 states as well.

So where is the OP given the weather and his plans?

jeez.. pull the cartridge and buy a new one one arrival. 2 bucks

Mustang Hydrostatic Inflator kit $70 for 5 year model, $40 for 2 year model...

Nuff said!

It depends on the airline. Check with them first. However, I've never had a problem carrying two of them in my checked luggage, disarmed. I do deliveries and always carry my own primary safety gear. Just be sure to disclose it when checking luggage. Also, I've always been able to carry a spare CO2 cartridge for each vest. I also do this when bare boating in the Caribbean.

1981 Lindmark, Questar 41
"Knot Tide Down"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom