42LRC aft stateroom mods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lunasea

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Fishbone
Vessel Make
1990 Nova/ sedan
I have read through posts here and searched through the web and it is my understanding that the fuel tanks are under the bunks in the aft stateroom? if this is true, is there a way to build a centerline berth instead of the two bunks? thanks for info

I've seen a couple of different versions of the aft cabin setup, everything from bunk style beds to an island bed on the *centerline." The most common is the twin full size beds on opposite sides with two 125-ish gal tanks under each. Some boats only have one 125g under each bunk. But if you're not a long haul boater, then 250 gallons will take you a long way.

The fuel tanks are above the aft cabin floor, so if you modify the beds, you have to modify the fuel tanks too. The island bed arrangement, we viewed had twin tanks, still under the bed. We didn't like the setup, so we didn't actually inspect the tank(s), but would have no doubt, resulted in less gallonage of fuel.

The island bed also limited the access through the aft cabin hatch. You're standing on the bed to enter/exit the hatch.

Last edited:
Here's one converted, not on the center line. You can troll images on the internet and find a few conversion examples.

Attachments

• 42SingleBed.jpg
    42SingleBed.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 182
Lunasea,

Our LRC has the four 125 gal tanks with a queen to port and a row of cabinets and something less than a twin to starboard. The frame of this narrow pad/mattress protrudes several inches past the head bulkhead. A low cabinet is tucked under the aft cabin door and connects the two mattress frames.

TG,

I like that layout. We have the aft cabin support post that is integral to the queen frame. Does yours still have a post?
I don't know about you but we seldom use the aft cabin door for entry/exit.

thanks for the replies, I recently sold my Bayliner 4588 and am moving to San Diego next month. I will be purchasing a new live aboard and looking at different models. there are a few Californians down there for me to look at, but the wife has some issue with sleeping against the bulk head and would like to be able to get around the sides of the bed.
I have seen several boats with an unused aft hatch and am not overly concerned with its use beyond an emergency escape.

Hi folks,
My boat has the twin "Ozzie and Harriet" beds in the aft stateroom (full beds on each side). At first I passed on boats with this setup, thinking my wife wouldn't go for it. One day she caught me looking at Californians with this twin bed configuration, and she told me she would love to have her own bed, especially after sleeping on all of our sailboats. We sleep with our feet towards the transom and love it.

BTW, we rarely use our aft companionway for entry/exit.

Cheers, Bill

Hi folks,
My boat has the twin "Ozzie and Harriet" beds in the aft stateroom (full beds on each side).

We always called them Lucy and Ricky beds. :whistling:

Attachments

• lucyrickybeds1.jpg
    lucyrickybeds1.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 81
Last edited by a moderator:
Lunasea,

Our LRC has the four 125 gal tanks with a queen to port and a row of cabinets and something less than a twin to starboard. The frame of this narrow pad/mattress protrudes several inches past the head bulkhead. A low cabinet is tucked under the aft cabin door and connects the two mattress frames.

TG,

I like that layout. We have the aft cabin support post that is integral to the queen frame. Does yours still have a post?
I don't know about you but we seldom use the aft cabin door for entry/exit.

I pulled that photo off the web. Mine has the two doubles with the four 125 fuel tanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom