View Single Post
Old 12-15-2016, 12:22 PM   #1
Baker
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Isinglass failure.

My isinglass was a year old when I bought the boat. I have had the boat a little over 3 years so it is 4 years old. There is one panel that is failing. It is cloudy and is as brittle as frozen taffy. I can crack it off in chunks. I just recently changed boat wash people. The sucky thing is the dude is a acquaintance of mine. He claims all they use is soap and water. I gotta take him for his word. He has been doing this stuff a long time. It just sucks that this occurred as soon as the changeover took place.

With that said, this panel is the aft panel up on the flybridge that would allow access to the roof of the sundeck. It faces perfectly due west and is even angled up very much like a solar panel would be. IOW, it is, by far, the most exposed panel on the entire boat. Would simple sun exposure cause it to fail in 4 years??? I have had boats with 6 year old isinglass that was still serviceable and definitely not cracking. It is usually the canvas that is failing before the isinglass. And this panel almost is never touched except when cleaning whereas other panels are constantly rolled up and down. And now it looks like crap and is cracking...

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1689.jpg  
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote