34' LRCs and trailers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BwanaE

Good morning everybody. Been lurking and reading while my wife and I search for a 34 LRC. Fighterpilot's recent questions regarding his purchase have stirred me into action. Once we make our purchase, we'll be*keeping the LRC in Hawaii (Oahu). I've already received quotes for "roll-on / roll-off" shipping on Pasha out of San Diego. The fly in the ointment is the need for a suitable trailer. Does anybody know if the LRC will fit atop a standard triple axle trailer. They seem to generally be made for 30-35 foot motorboats. The plan would be: a west coast purchase followed by a*cruise to San Diego,*buy a used*trailer, use it for the crossing, and then hopefully sell it locally. Obviously very short distance hauls are involved so trailer durability is not really a factor, just basic fit with regard to width, keel depth, prop dangle, total height, etc.

Rather a complicated undertaking I know, but I've not found any Californians for sale in HNL.

Thanks for your opinions. Cheers, Eric.

First off let me express my utmost respect for somebody willing to ponder big ideas. Second my ideas here are more attuned to the big idea concept than actually knowing what I'm talking about. I recently bought a 34lrc 800 miles from my home. I have had a 'next week' plan to run it home for the last 2 1/2 months but have been foiled by flooding on the Mississippi and Ohio at every turn. I'm one frustrated boat owner.

My thoughts, finding a suitable boat trailer will be difficult I think. All 34lrc's are twin engine I believe. Finding one that will clear the drive shafts, props, and rudders will be hard. it would need to be quite tall, and the exposed shafts are quite long so I think finding one that has clearances would be hard to find. That been said, maybe it could be loaded on the the trailer by travel lift. The props, rudders and maybe shafts could be pulled before placing it on the trailer. The load it on the trailer, load it on the freigter place would need ito be very close to each other as height would exceed highway height limitations.

Maybe rather than a boat trailer, can you find somebody on the island wanting to import a lowboy trailer? maybe somebody in construction/ heavy equipment. It wouldn't take much to block a trailer to haul the boat on a one time only basis.

Eric,
I am curious to hear what the crossing will cost you? Pasha is a RO/RO type service?
You may want to look into removing the running gear to get it on the trailer.
A lowboy trailer could be an option but i think they are around 50ft long so you'd probably have to pay higher cost to Pasha.

thanks,

Thank you Craig and Per for replying. Regarding the Pasha quote, it was $7,200. about a month ago and has probably gone up due to the spike in fuel prices. Interestingly, I crunched rough numbers on simply ferrying an LRC to HNL on it's hull and the diesel cost alone was around $6500. so almost a wash. But I'd have to add in the cost for one-time use fuel bladders. Pricey. Above all that is the wear and tear, not to mention hazard of a 2,300 mile deep ocean crossing. Eric.

7200 doesnt sound bad, i guess it includes putting her back in the wet?

having a boat on HI is just an awesome concept, is it difficult to get a slip and what are the cost?

2300 mile, i guess it would take you 230 running hours = 10 days non stop.
would make for one hell of a trip but i am not sure the Californians are build for oceanic crossings.
hell, if weather came in, you wouldnt even be able to go around it really.

download.spark
Well, as I*started this thread a while ago I felt an update was in order.

We purchased the 1979 34' LRC "Willowind" in Redondo Beach a few weeks ago (Chris if you're reading this...THANK YOU).*Had the yard do a fresh bottom paint, replace anodes, replace a cutlass bearing, lube seacocks, etc. This weekend we'll be motoring her from Redondo to San Diego where she will await loading onto a flat bed trailer operated by Boat360.com (Larry Cummings). Before loading I'll be responsible for removing the full Eisenglass flybridge enclosure (easy) and the radar arch (not so easy). With that done and loaded onto the lowboy, she should come in just under the 16 1/2 foot max height restriction enforced by the roll on / roll off transport ship run by Pasha. Planned departure is Aug.10 with arrival HNL on Aug. 15. She'll be rolled off the ship, trucked the short distance from the commercial harbor and dropped back into the water at Keehi Lagoon marina. Reassembly follows and then a short motor out to her new home at KoOlina Marina at the west end of Oahu. Fingers crossed.

Regarding slip rental, KoOlina is rather pricey at $550. for a 35' slip but it is very quiet, very secure, and in a resort/golf area (Disney's new Aolani Resort is right next door). Nice place to enjoy little vacation getaways on our floating "condo"/ mahi-mahi chaser.

I'll let everyone know the result of all this next month.

Cheers, Eric.

Congrats on your new boat and best of luck on the transport and transplant to HI! Keep us posted on the results.

If you find your canvas does not fit with the Hawaiian island atmosphere, let me know and I'll take it off your hands for you. ;-) You have EXACTLY the canvas color and style I'm looking for on my 34.

Very nice looking boat!!*

thanks for the update.

so the boat will be on a lowboy flatbed for the voyage?
i guess they have some sort of brace to put her in, on the flatbed?

will the flatbed stay on HI or is coming back?

could inquire the entire cost for transport, loading and so forth?

Have a pleasant voyage to San Diego.

Hi Per,
Willowind is safely aboard the trailer in San Diego as of yesterday. Will ship out on Aug.10th. The trailer was custom built for yacht transport with a deep center channel for keels and propshafts, and vertical side supports with pads for appropriate bracing. Very nice set up and the net result is a height gain of only 10 inches. My total height loaded was 15' 3". Max allowable was 16'. Total cost was $14,000 including everything except the haul out and drop in yard fees. Cannot recommend too highly Larry Cummins of 360 Boatloader.com . Very nice, ex-Navy guy who knows his stuff.
Eric.

Just re-read my post above, and my wording about 360 Boatloader was clunky and possibly confusing... I absolutely recommend their services! First rate and helpful.
Eric.

i am curious, the height restriction is only for highway concern right?

look forward to hearing that she has made it across and is sitting pretty in a Maui cove.

Just for everybody's edification, here are three photos of the trailering process for a 34 Californian. Per asked about the 16'6" height restriction...it was a limit based on the max door height for roll on / roll off on Pasha's vessel.

-- Edited by BwanaE on Monday 15th of August 2011 08:39:46 AM

Attachments

• 052 - copy.jpg
    052 - copy.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 141
  • 044 - copy.jpg
    044 - copy.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 141
  • 038 - copy.jpg
    038 - copy.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 139
My final update for anybody following this thread... Willowind is safely in her new home at Ko'Olina Marina on the western shore of Oahu, Hawaii. No trauma or drama at all, 360 Boatloader took great care of her all the way to Keehi boatyard. After the drop in we motored her west, found our slip, and within a few days had the radar arch and eisenglass enclosure re-erected. Just waiting now for our first opportunity to head out and tempt Mahi-Mahi.
Aloha, Eric.

Great to hear it was a smooth sailing, Eric. A pic of Willowind in your new waters would be great. I look forward to hearing of your new pacific adventures. My offer still stands on that canvas. That rich burgundy color is probably not considered a very Hawaiian, is it? ;-)

Back
Top Bottom