Who is going North or South on the ICW this year??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am leaving Charleston, SC May 1st.. Destination Hopetown, Abaco Bahamas, not sure how long it will take at 10 kts.* Should be a fun trip going with My Dad and a couple of friends.* Hope to make 80 miles a day and then cut across at Palm Beach.* Going to leave the boat there for the summer then head back to Charleston late July.

Here I come Nippers!

Why are you going down to Palm Beach?* You can cut across at St. Lucie Inlet for a direct route to the Little Bahama Bank.* You can enter the bank just south of White Sand Ridge and have good water.* It is a little over 100 miles to Great Sale if you want to anchor for the night.* You will miss the badly marked and shallow Indian Cay Channel.* It is about 160 odd miles to Green Turtle Cay.* You can do customs there.

Sounds like a great trip.* Love Hope Town.

BTW, we plan on leaving Boca Grande, FL for the trip north about May 1.* We will probably meet along the way.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Friday 15th of April 2011 10:48:56 AM

Anybody coming Downeast? Its lonely down here. Would love to have some visitors.

dwhatty wrote:
Anybody coming Downeast? Its lonely down here. Would love to have some visitors.
*I would love to come downeast for the summer.* However, I heard the tax man will get you if you stay longer than 28 days in the state of Maine.* Has that changed?

If the boat is in Maine continuously for more than 30 days, then technically Maine can nail you for a use tax. If you are cruising and moving around the whole time the chances are slim to none that you would get nailed. It's the boats that sit in one conspicuous place for a month or more that sometimes do.

We are "mini-cruising" from Carolina Beach (Wilmington, NC area) to Georgetown, SC and back all this week if any of y'all are around.

Tom-

Old Stone wrote:
Hi Don - I've been meaning to ask for a while now. Several times you have mentioned how close to the Bahamas you are from Boca Grande. We were going to try to find you when we were in Fla a few weeks ago, but you had to leave because of something at home, so we thought another time. Didn't make it to Boca, got as far as Siesta Key, but will one day. My question - How long do the Bahamas take you to reach from Boca, and do you go around the Keys? When you start North on May 1, is it up the Gulf Coast, or the East? If the East, where do you cross Fla? I love to imagin these different excursions, because we will be starting south in the fall.
*Hi Carl, I'll try to answer them all.* On Moonstruck it is a long one day run to the east coast from Boca Grande.* We usually cross FL*on the Okeechobee Waterway if there is enough*water.* I have had to go around through the Keys because of lack of water.* That is about an extra couple hundred miles.**The Bahamas first land fall is about 60 miles off Florida.* We seldom do that. We will usually run about 100 or so miles to anchor at Great Sale Cay.* It is uninhabitated.* We can make Green Turtle *Cay in one day.* It is about 165 miles.

We will be crossing FL on the OWW privided the water situation doesn't deteriote,* Right now the controlling depth is a little under 5.4'.* That is just in one spot.* We need a little over 4; to make it.* Then we are heading up the east coast toward the Chesapeake.* We plan to head south to the east coast of FL next fall.* Maybe we can meet up when you move south.

Siesta Key is just about Boca Grande about 30 miles.* Sorry we missed you.* We love that area.* Siesta Key is not too shabby either.

Moonstruck wrote:
*Hi Carl, I'll try to answer them all.

The obvious advantage to having a fast boat.

Old Stone wrote:
I love the characters along the way! Of course, I do not let them influence me in any way, you understand.
disbelief.gif
******* Carl:*

I certainly appreciate your point of view (It's the journey!) and meeting all those characters along the way. I, however, live in "character land" and would like to get to that "easy chair on the beach" like Don does. He is able , because of his speed, to take advantage of a small weather window safely. Should that window expand, he can throttle back and "enjoy those characters along the way" like the rest of us do. His vessel has tremendous flexibility to adjust to the mission at hand. If I had that boat I would name it "Chameleon" for it's ability to adapt to changing environments.

Carey & others on this site have that same flexibilty and I am envious of it. When I bought my boat I was obsessed with pinning down the mission. I narrowed it down too close and have passed on a couple of buddy boating trips to Catalina and the Channel Islands simply because I couldn't keep up. (Boat speed that is!)

Walt

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Saturday 16th of April 2011 12:18:45 PM

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Saturday 16th of April 2011 12:27:43 PM

Old Stone wrote:
"I narrowed it down too close and have passed on a couple of buddy boating trips to Catalina and the Channel Islands simply because I couldn't keep up.

(Boat speed that is!)

Walt - May I humbly take the latitude that I speak for all of us on the Forum that we are very glad you clarified that "small" subject for us !!!!!
biggrin.gif
*Carl, if I may weigh in here?* I will talk personally for a minute.* I am really a trawler guy at heart.* However, even at my somewhat "advanced age", I have chosen to stay active in my business.* Having owned a trawler in the past, I figured that I would have a trawler now.* Choosing not to fully retire, the time alloted to cruises is shorter.* Other than the speed, we do not cruise like most planing boat people.* We are set up for anchoring and extended stays..* Walt is right.***We use our speed judicioulsy.* When we have time we slow down, but speed gives up more time to stop and enjoy those characters and friends (some of whom are characters) along the waterway.* The space and comfort found on a full displacement trawler yacht would be nice, but we have all the real comforts we need.* I can't see leaving our families and land base for full time life aboard.* It is appealing, but we are attached to our homes, family, cumunity*and friends.* We love making new friends on the water.* Several have become really good friends.* It just adds to the richness of the experience.

We usually cruise as a one boat flotilla.* That does not mean that we don't enjoy family and friends cruising with us.* Many times you could catch us with friends on board* for part or all the trip.* Of course, when we can get the grandkids, we take every minute we can get with them.* They love it.* It is our gimmick to get to spend extra time with them.

I don't remember who said this, but if anyone knows please let me know.* "Life is simpler when cruising, but on a grand scale".* That sums it up for me.* We are cruisers.* As I told Lou when she asked for my biggest fault, "I spend too much money on my boating, and that is not likely to change".* She was warned.

I enjoy the diverse group that participates on this forum.* I also appreciate how new people are welcomed here.* A great group, indeed.* Thanks to Doug and John for putting this together.* It is just another thing to enrich the experience.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Saturday 16th of April 2011 09:17:31 PM

Well put Don. You are truly a fine fellow, and always one I enjoy hearing from.

Thanks for the tip,* This is my first trawler cruise, I never imagined myself going so slow in a boat*but now that my departure is a couple of weeks away I can hardly wait.* I have alot to learn about crusing, this site is excellent and I am thankfull for your knowledge and suggestion to cut across at St Lucie.* We will certainly look for you along the way, not sure exactly where we will pass each other, whats your estimate!* We are in a 36 Monk!*

-- Edited by Hypomone on Sunday 17th of April 2011 06:11:35 AM

Hypomone wrote:
Thanks for the tip,* This is my first trawler cruise, I never imagined myself going so slow in a boat*but now that my departure is a couple of weeks away I can hardly wait.* I have alot to learn about crusing, this site is excellent and I am thankfull for your knowledge and suggestion to cut across at St Lucie.* We will certainly look for you along the way, not sure exactly where we will pass each other, whats your estimate!* We are in a 36 Monk!*

-- Edited by Hypomone on Sunday 17th of April 2011 06:11:35 AM
*I fugure that you will average50-80 miles per day.* Charleston is about mile 495 ICW and St. Augustine about mile 775.* Beaufort, SC and Fernandina Beach, FL are both great stops for a couple of days.* You will probably be there in about a week or so.

We will run offshore if weather is good.* We plan 2 days on the OWW to Stuart.* Then depending on weather out the St. Lucie Inlet to St. Augustine in one day.* A couple of days in St. Augustine, then depending on weather out to sea to the Savannah River entrance and Hilton Head, SC in a day.* At sea we will make about 25 knots.* If weather is not good, I figure we will meet you somewhere around Jekyll Island, GA to Fernandina Beach, FL.

The two prettiest sections of the Waterway to me are the Georgia marshes and the Waccamaw River in SC.* The Georgia marshes, however, are an acquired taste.* Nothing for 100 miles but winding channels and marsh grass.

Let us know more about your boat and your cruising.* The Monk is a great boat that will give you much enjoyment.*

We have 1500 miles to cover this trip.* We want to spend as much time as possible on the Chesapeake.* Thus, we are not going to spend as much time on the Waterway itself this trip.

The Abacos are my favorite cruising ground.* Hope Town is just over the top!* One of the nicest harbors to stay awhile.* I am getting a little envious.* Keep us up on your journey and destination.*

Now, for the St. Lucie Inlet.* You can check current conditions by clicking on http://stlucieinlet.com/*.* When conditions aren't good (tide going out with winds out of the East) it is not for the faint of heart.* I figure that you are going to wait for settled weather to cross.* Get the Explorer Chart book for the near Bahamas.* http://www.explorercharts.com/* They are the best charts.* There are many preplotted courses.* It is especially helpful from Great Sale to about Treasure Cay.

The Manatee Pocket is a great staging area for waiting on good conditions.* It is protected, and most all services are available.* Pick your day for the crossing, and you will have a great trip.* BTW, we usually hit the Little Bahama Bank just south of the preplotted course.* You will see an area with about 30' (5 fathoms) on the chart.* From there there should be no less than 12' (2 fathoms) to Great Sale.* The chart is marked in fathoms.

If you haven't done it before, look around at the water colors as you come up on the Bank.* With the sun out it is one of the most beautiful sights I've seen.* The cobalt blue of the Gulf Stream mixing with the aqua blue/green colors of the Bank makes vivid colors that are beautiful and hard to describe.* When you get to about 60' of water, start looking for it all the to up on the Bank.

dwhatty wrote:
If the boat is in Maine continuously for more than 30 days, then technically Maine can nail you for a use tax. If you are cruising and moving around the whole time the chances are slim to none that you would get nailed. It's the boats that sit in one conspicuous place for a month or more that sometimes do.
*David, sorry, but the use tax on Moonstruck is not something to take a technical chance on.* Much of our moving the boat around is tax avoidance.* Use taxes and personal property taxes are something to watch out for.* We usually don't stay in one place too long.* It is really too bad, because we have talked about leaving the boat in Virginia for the winter to get a good start to cruise up to Maine.* Just don't want to take that chance.

We have talked about driving up and renting a place for a couple of months.* Will they tax my car?

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Sunday 17th of April 2011 04:43:07 PM

We are sitting in North Myrtle Beach tonight (Harborgate Marina --- Nice place BTW... A little noisy, but still nice) headed south to Georgetown tomorrow. Gotta go thru the rock pile for the first time and I'm pretty scared about it, but looking forward to the Whack-A-Mole River. Be in GT for a day, maybe two, then head back home and stop at Osprey and Grand Dunes before heading back home to Carolina Beach on Friday-ish.

Tom-

It seemed to be a non-issue. I was stressed out for almost nothing. Anyway, sitting in Georgetown, SC now. Trying to decide to stay one night or two. Headed to The Big Tuna for supper in a bit. Certainly much quieter of a place than last night.
wink.gif
Man, the Whack-A-Mole River was AMAZING!!!! Osprey and Bald Eagles everywhere. Hardly a boat in sight.

GonzoF1 wrote:
It seemed to be a non-issue. I was stressed out for almost nothing. Anyway, sitting in Georgetown, SC now. Trying to decide to stay one night or two. Headed to The Big Tuna for supper in a bit. Certainly much quieter of a place than last night.
wink.gif
Man, the Whack-A-Mole River was AMAZING!!!! Osprey and Bald Eagles everywhere. Hardly a boat in sight.
*Tom, just stay in the middle.* If you go through the rockpile at low tide you will see why.

Pulling into a cove or creek to anchor for the night on the Waccamaw is an other worldly experience.* Truly nothing but nature around.* Snugged down among the cypress trees with nothing but the sound of fish jumping and the sounds of the land animals.* It is great.* It's allot better than Myrtle Beach.

Sounds like a good cruise.

The Waccamaw truly is amazing....especially after being in Myrtle Beach and even Carolina Beach.* Wow.* Simply gorgeous.* If we didn't have Tivo with us, we would totally anchor out.* He hasn't learned how to pee on the boat yet, and I'm pretty sure that there are snakes out*there big enough to eat Tom.* :)

Back up river tomorrow....Great cruise....saw some big big trawlers going north today.

Tom and Bess, I love seeing the cruising life unflolding for you.* To me there is nothing like pulling into a*new to you*harbor for the first time on your own boat.* Things look so different from the water.* You see other boats, and wonder where they are from and headed.* Cruisers have a special comaradery.* Everyone will help out because they know that they may be next needing help, but then the best part is when you are anchored in an isolated, beautiful place.* It's all good.

We are getting excited about our up coming trip north.* We are still on our somewhat loose schedule of getting down to the boat about the 28th to finish up a couple of chores, then heading out on May 1 or 2.* We will be stopping at new places along the way.* I love that.

Let's keep cruising.

superdiver wrote:
This sounds like such a fun time! How many boaters do you guys see in a day? Is it hard to find places to anchor or dock at night?
*It depends on the season.* We are a little late for the "snowbird" migration.* That will mean less boats going north.* In the fall many leave after the fall boat shows in Annapolis and Trawlerfest.* That puts allot of boats headed south on the ICW.* Because of our speed, I have passed 30-40 boats a day.* That is pretty gruelling.* Everyone knows where the anchorages are.* We do both----anchorages and marinas.* In the fall you usually have to reserve a marina slip ahead as soon as you know where you may wind up.* I have waited as late as December to head south from the Chesapeake.* Saw very few boats on that trip.

"If it's snowbird season, why can't we shoot 'em?"* Brent Burns

superdiver wrote:
This sounds like such a fun time! How many boaters do you guys see in a day? Is it hard to find places to anchor or dock at night?
*Here is little anecdote about cruising.* In the early 1970s we had a boat in a slip at Morehead City, NC Yacht Basin.* It is a stop that I saw that Tom and Bess like.* It is right off the ICW, so many cruisers would stop on the way north and south.

The slip next to us came open: so James, the dockmaster, put a transient boat next to us.* We were in our early30's and the couple on the transient boat were retired.* Their names were Chet and Evvy, and we shared Christmas cards for many years.* She was a great baker.* They shared baked goods with us, and we shared fish we had caught.

They came in August.* One day I asked how long they would*be staying.* They said they were meeting friends who were headed south.* They said their friends would be there in Sept., Oct., or maybe even November.* I asked if they would just wait until they came.* The answered, "sure, me may as well be here as anywhere else". That opened up a new world to me.* There I was with a young family, running a busines with almost every minute scheduled.* Here they were enjoying life to the fullest.* Duh! It opened the world of cruising to me.* I just*couldn't imagine such a thing.

That changed my attitude, and I have been cruising when I can ever since.* It is a great world out there.*

Tivo is most definately the "first dog". He is currently snoring up a storm on the sofa.* The walk from Doc Holidays to the West Marine almost did him in.* Keep in mind, first dog is 8 or 9 years old.** I was going to work on the pee-mats this winter before we decided to go to the beach for a while.* If we weren't going to be anchoring much, it seemed like wasted time then.

Oh...and by the way...the Rock Pile now has photo evidence.* I got pictures of rock ledges starting from the south at Marker 18 all the way up to Barefoot landing.* I have it peniciled on my chart...(you* know...the paper kind)....and when I write up my cruise blog, the acutal markers will be noted.

Quick notes...LOVE the Osprey....love it....Love Harborgate in North Myrtle....Georgetown was cute as hell and loved Haroborwalk.* The Waccamaw's beauty was breathtaking.* Cruising with my two favorite guys....priceless.

Moonstruck wrote:That changed my attitude, and I have been cruising when I can ever since.* It is a great world out there.*

*Don, similar story for me.* We bought the boat to be a mobile beach house..not really knowing what was*about to happen to us.* One day at Northwest Creek Marina, I asked a guy on the fuel dock, "where ya going today?"* He answered "the Keys".*

WHAT???* That little*answer has changed our lives.* We cruise when we can and enjoy every minute of it.* It's all close to home and short time periods, but we're out there using our boat for what she was meant to do.* All is also preparation for someday going longer distances.

We passed a good deal of snow birds while going South Sunday and Monday..and got caught in the mix going North on Tues-Thurs.*

Photos of the Rockpile now available on Skinny Dippin's blog!

Besslb wrote:
Tivo is most definately the "first dog". He is currently snoring up a storm on the sofa.* The walk from Doc Holidays to the West Marine almost did him in.* Keep in mind, first dog is 8 or 9 years old.** I was going to work on the pee-mats this winter before we decided to go to the beach for a while.* If we weren't going to be anchoring much, it seemed like wasted time then.

*Bess, here is a picture of the boat that we kept at Morehead City Yacht Basin.* The picture was made coming in from a day of fishing the Gulf Stream.**"Sundancer" wasn't a large craft, but she ran sweet and rode great.* My sons spent allot of time*growing up*down there.

I should have trade marked that name.* I had it before SeaRay.

Attachments

• sundancer coming home.jpg
    sundancer coming home.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 112
Bess, we are now on the East coast headed north.* Should be in the area of Carolina Beach, if we make the weekend, will probably be iffy.

We'll be at the boat this weekend. Let us know how close you get.

Where are you?* Inside?* Outside?* How are the conditions?*** Are you taking pictures?

Enjoy your cruise!* We hope to see you, but totally understand if we don't.**

What is your final destination this trip?*

Besslb wrote:
Where are you?* Inside?* Outside?* How are the conditions?*** Are you taking pictures?

Enjoy your cruise!* We hope to see you, but totally understand if we don't.**

What is your final destination this trip?*

*Bess, with a stiff easterly breeze and up to 4' seas on the beam, we are inside to St. Augustine.* We will reassess there about offshore to the Savannah River (about 175 miles.).* That is one of the things slowing us down.

Yes, we have some pictures.* The trip has gone as planned.* Lost the fix on my chart plotter in the OWW.* Spent a little time Sunday night at Clewiston finding the bad HSB2 connection.* Working fine now.* We are also checking the new dinghy stowage system we just installed.* 8 knots is one thing when carrying a dinghy----27 knots is quite another.* It looks like we have that sorted out.

I don't lke starting a trip with new sytems of any kind, but keeping the boat 11 hours from home and everyone wanting to do their work at the last minute, doesn't always allow for getting things totally sorted out.

As we settle into the trip we will try to start our blog page.* Keep in mind that this is more of a delivery trip than a cruise.* We are covering a lot of ground in a day.* Hope we make it by the weekend.* If not, maybe more time returning in the fall

The final destination is Hartges Yacht Harbor in Galesville, MD.* That is about 12 miles South of Annapolis.* We stayed there in '07.* It is near some of the best cruising destinations on the Chesapeake Bay.

Sounds like a great trip!* Stay in touch and let us know how it's going!

*Remember too if you get here when we're at the coast, feel free to use our car to get supplies or whatever.

-- Edited by Besslb on Tuesday 3rd of May 2011 11:11:49 AM

Back
Top Bottom