newyork to NC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

budzuk

Vessel Name
Moonshine III
Moving a 29 Ranger Tug from New York to NC next month. Anyone familiar with the inside route. the person I'm helping wants to run outside NY to Cape May, Cape May to Norfolk.

Outside for NJ is the best route, but this time of year the windows of calm weather are few and far between, if you can run in the 15 knot range you could do it in a long day outside. Up Delaware bay and then down Chesapeake, again picking days etc. ICW from Norfolk south.

As Marlinmike notes above a weather window to go outside around NJ will be difficult. So why not go inside from Manesquan to Cape May. With the draft of the Ranger, water depths won't be an issue. But the NJ ICW it is tedious and I wouldn't try it at 15 kts. You need time to react to channel course changes and 7 kts is as fast as I would do it.

And don't even consider going outside from Cape May to Norfolk. Too few bailout inlets.

David

I ran a 8 knot Trawler from New York Harbor to Cape May in one day. A long day I might add. But It can be done. 5 to 7 foot seas offshore, but we ran 1/2 mile off the beach in relatively calm waters. Easy inlet into Cape May.

Back
Top Bottom