Key Bound Prop Adventures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BelfastCruiser

Veteran Member
Hi All - Its almost time to put the old girl back in the water, and this weekend I reinstalled the*newly pitched & tuned prop. Installing it, I first got some valve lapping compound, applied some to the shaft and*inside the hub,*and lapped the prop to the shaft without the key. I marked the most forward point of travel on the shaft, and removed the prop. I then installed the key(tight fit) and resinstalled the prop. As you can see, it did not advance to my line on the shaft. Even though this is just off by 1/8 inch, I removed the shaft again and*further dressed*the key with a light file - still a tight fit and still keybound! On the third fitting - success. good thing as that damn prop was getting heavy!

If the prop doesn't advance ALL the way to your marked line, the prop will be riding on the key, run eccentrically, and potentially damage the shaft and bearings and cost a ton of $$$ (lesson learned the hard way). Just thought I'd pass it along and maybe save someone some hard earned!

Attachments

• dscf2048.jpg
    dscf2048.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 83
  • dscf2051.jpg
    dscf2051.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 81
I did it wrong last fall. I just got in a hurry, forgot the drill and just put the prop on. I remembered just after launch. Almost re-hauled and re-installed the prop but went on home to Thorne Bay. Still had a bad feeling so went on the grid and put the old prop back on. It's still there. Mid summer I plan to re-install the new prop and I will NOT forget to pre-size. For everybodys information Michigan Wheel has this installation procedure on their web site in detail.

Belfast,

Looks like you got in a big fight w your shaft** ..like your prop.

Kevin O, thanks for the post and pics! It will be a good reference if I need to do this.

Back
Top Bottom