Diesel outboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ranger58sb

Guru
Vessel Name
Ranger
Vessel Make
58' Sedan Bridge
Sorta. More like pseudo-diesel, I guess. Mentioned on another forum:

Twin Mercury Diesel outboard engines on a Zodiac Hurricane 753 OB

OptiMax Diesel – Reporting for Duty! | Mercury Racing

http://www.mercuryracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/OptiMax-Diesel-Performance-Chart.pdf

The short version: gas outboard converted to run on diesel. Won't meet emissions requirements, so not available to the general public.

Posted here merely for the record (didn't find any previous refs to it).

-Chris

These powerheads, at least when I was into Mercury a few years ago, in gas form, do not last 250 hours at full load. Now they are converted to a 6000rpm diesel. Wow.

Murray,
Couldn't get much out of the link.
Seems odd that diesel is heavy w one crankshaft and they would add another. Probably to combat vibration. But that would make it heavier than a diesel Hmm.

I had a BMW 3cyl motorcycle that had a gear driven flywheel that (obviously) rotated the opposite direction of the crankshaft. Very smooth engine.

These powerheads, at least when I was into Mercury a few years ago, in gas form, do not last 250 hours at full load. Now they are converted to a 6000rpm diesel. Wow.

According to the documentation in the links the engines have been converted to *burn* diesel using spark ignition. Internal loads shouldn't be much different from the gasoline version.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom