Nordig Tug 37 stability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't read every word here but an interesting comparison could be made ....

The AT and NT are very similar both being "tugs" but they differ greatly in their proportions. The length to beam ratios would suggest that the AT has considerably more stability .. at least from looking at them. I haven't looked at the numbers. It would be interesting to know if how they look is not how they are. Most everybody that looks at the NT or the AT brobably does a lot of comparing the two. Has anyone compared the stability numbers of thesen boats and ... how do they compare?

I have my homework assignment.
I would like to make the record clear on this subject. We have traded our storm sails in on comfy storm pillows to be used in harbor when it is blowing!!!
Bruce

Obviously the AT and NT are simply hard chine semi-planing hulls intended for coastal cruising and bare no resemblance to full displacement tugboat hulls. Calling them a Tug is just a name the marketing department came up with.

Obviously the AT and NT are simply hard chine semi-planing hulls intended for coastal cruising and bare no resemblance to full displacement tugboat hulls. Calling them a Tug is just a name the marketing department came up with.

Yup ! pretty much a Bayliner MY in disguise.

Of coures ... the "tug" handle is just a pleasure boat style. Or style-type of recreational trawler.

And some indeed have planing hulls .. like the Rangers. I don't think the AT has any rocker and a straight run aft makes a planing hull IMO. Especially w no quarter beam angle. With that length to bean ratio, weight and keel planing will be unlikely but w enough power ......

To say the AT is not a planing hull is just baffling. These are nearly 20kt boats.

Of coures ... the "tug" handle is just a pleasure boat style. Or style-type of recreational trawler.

And some indeed have planing hulls .. like the Rangers. I don't think the AT has any rocker and a straight run aft makes a planing hull IMO. Especially w no quarter beam angle. With that length to bean ratio, weight and keel planing will be unlikely but w enough power ......

"Makes a planing hull"

I agree.

This is a bigger difference than the L to B ratio. But most will cruise at the same speed (8 knots) so it's not that big a deal for most people. I like them both but the SD hull of the NT makes them much more desirable to me. I wish for two things that won't come to pass. A NT 32 w a smaller (80hp approx) and a stern a bit more like a FD hull.

Interestingly because of it's greater beam and height the AT may make a better 26' boat than the existing NT. That would make a really big 26' boat. Flash thought.

Last edited:
At one time I queried whether the local NT club would accept my participation. The answer was "NO" because my boat can't exceed hull speed. NTs and ATs are definitely not recreational trawlers in the pure sense.

Well, they at least give me a toot!

I strongly disagree with planing hull, 1. planing hull becomes very Stabil crossing the frame rate of about 3 knots, NT wobbles increasingly, if alto should be on the long side. 2. planing hull will only start to function properly 22 knots this size vessels, NT loses stability when driving 18 knots, I have this experience when surfing wave at about 20 knots, but the hull does not act with such speed rises due to excess water, the hull works best with up to 15 knots, . I know what I am talking about the old boat was the same size fly bridge max speed of 36 knots, the comparison is easy because the time in the same waters comparable to the same weather.

AT vs NT (I have never seen a live AT. because there seem to be imported from Europe?)

the initial stability is certainly better than AT wider because only two of the GZ-curve comparison of open up at the end. Width can bring faster acceleration roll movement vs narrower, this of course depends on how the weight is distributed from the center line. I have already stated on several occasions why the manufacturers can not publish openly Stability information about the boats that sell?

Another very interesting comparison would be to see the stability of the facts SD vs FD hull. Here there are so many opinions and a long tradition that it would be nice to compare. Manufacturers should be more transparent with respect to these matters, why Stability data is encrypted? all commercial vessels, regardless of the size found on board the stability of the documents, because the captain may change and a new captain has to be able to know what the ship can you reach up and how it behaves at sea, in theory, by knowing these the captain can plan your trip safe for people, cargo and the ship, simple as that.

Can someone give me a US concept of coastal cruising, whether it's roads distance from the coast or travel distance to the point a to b, or all boating which does not exceed oceans, or the other?

There was a thread on exactly this subject and there are some very good answers here.
Bruce

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/coastal-vs-offshore-21848.html

Thank you link:thumb: Unfortunately, my head is certainly a pea when I could not find an answer:eek:

That is, there are no facts which is Costal cruising, there are no facts about the seaworthiness of the vessel, but there is a lot of reviews that are not facts. Probably due to the culture that I love more hard facts than vague stories and images of things seaworthiness of different boat models.

Maybe it's just a bad design.

:thumb: 100% agree, I purchased a planing boat but the SD. I believe that NT is also not a submarine very well, because it is designed to work under water. do not understand the answer wrong, a little humor.:D

I have 0 training in naval architecture, but I would think any extra weight added to an upper area of a boat like a dinghy and outboard will change the boats meta center, and have an adverse affect.

I wrote this a few years ago for people like you. It is sail oriented but the basic principles are the same and I should give you a working understanding of stability.

Stability of Boats and Ships

Metacenter1.gif

There is a lot of generic information available about boat stability. One I found very handy and which describes the basic rules and aspects to be considered is here:
http://www.fao.org/3/a-i0625e.pdf

However I wasn't able to find a specific stability curve for our boat (what a pity for an engineer like me). But which additional value would I gain with such a curve describing only the static stability? In practice the dynamic stability gives the limit!
What we really have to avoid is periodic roll and are braking waves equal to or higher than our beam ...

Most of our trawler yacht hulls have an AVS (heeling angle of vanishing stability) quite below 90 while flooding starts already at a heel angle which is typically in the range of 50 (or even lower). And we know that most of our hulls are reasonably stiff (e.g. roll Eigenperiod in seconds is typically lower than beam in meter), i.e. they have a reasonable metacentric height.
If you really want to you can calculate the metacentric height of your boat based on the results of a heel test (performed at your dock) and correlate this with your roll Eigenperiod measured at the same time.
Doing so you would be able later to check whether metacentric height / roll Eigenperiod have been influenced negatively due to a changed weight distribution, a new heavy antenna in the mast top, ice on deck, added heavy load on the cabin roof or whatever.

Last edited:
And we know that most of our hulls are reasonably stiff (e.g. roll Eigenperiod in seconds is typically lower than beam in meter), i.e. they have a reasonable metacentric height.
If you really want to you can calculate the metacentric height of your boat based on the results of a heel test (performed at your dock) .

Wadden

Did you read post 44 and thoughts on megacentric height? Other true professionals with requisite NA chops may step forward but the two NAs that peek at this forum are Tad Roberts and Roger Long. Lots to learn from them.

Wadden

Did you read post 44 and thoughts on megacentric height? Other true professionals with requisite NA chops may step forward but the two NAs that peek at this forum are Tad Roberts and Roger Long. Lots to learn from them.

sunchaser

Yes, did so and found it valuable. E.g. Roger gives some hints how to establish a fair approximation of the GZ curve based on metacentric height and two heel angles. Certainly that will satisfy the engineer inside me :)

:banghead:

I asked the factory to the stability of NT facts and the answer was negative. apparently a big secret, I can not understand such a policy. Thanks for all the responses and thoughts!:thumb:

I asked the factory to the stability of NT facts and the answer was negative. apparently a big secret, ...

I doubt they have a clue, not because of anything specific I know about the company but just recreational vessel industry practice.

The low freeboard of these boats would likely make them look pretty poor according to the criteria used for USCG inspected passenger vessels. This doesn't necessarily make them unsafe for their intended use but would not encourage a builder to even do the calculations comparing them with commercial passenger vessel standards.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom