Tools For The Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
So the children want a Christmas list from me. I have tools all over the place, parts of two or three socket sets, mix and match screwdrivers between house and boat, electrical tape, connectors of random sizes, little packets of screws and the list goes on.

What I want to do is take all the randomness off the boat and start off with a nice, neat and tidy set of tools. I am not talking about special job tools like a prop puller, but general everyday tools.

One request will be a multi-drawer toolbox that will fit nicely in the lazarette or ER.

But what should my list be - links to products would be great so I can have a look. Remember these are to be bought by my children in their twenties, so the price has to be reasonable. Though my wife could get me something more expensive.

99% of my boat tools came from Harbor Freight. My good tools are at the house.

Normally you can get some really decent tools to do the job at a good price. This helps to lessen the impact when one goes overboard and I don't think too much about it when/if the tool gets rusty.

I have the normal range of sockets, wrenches and screwdrivers on my boat along with some other items that people might not think about.

Sawzall - This saved my butt last year when my A/C water pump died while on the hook. The bolts installed in 1998 were not coming out without a saw.

Large rubber mallet - I've used this for a number of things over the past few years.

I can do just about anything mechanical on my boat with the tools onboard.

Besides hand tools, I find a dremel tool to be used frequently for cutting, grinding and drilling in hard to reach spaces,

Bill

When we bought our Mainship 34T last Dec. I had to start from scratch in assembling a tool set. I found this article/list and added all listed (found most at home depot). Since have added a few more but it was a great start...here's the link.

Essential Tools For Your Boat

Cheers

Greetings,
The mention of Harbor Freight brought this to mind... 301 Pc Professional Mechanic's Tool Set

Everything in one place IF you are the sort to stow your tools after use (I am).
As far as organization, a series of sizes of these work for me...
20 Bin Portable Parts Storage Case

A must have on any vessel IMO is a rechargeable drill with appropriate driver and drill bits. Try to get one with 2 batteries OR a very fast charger.

I have found this (mini grinder)to be of great use, IF you have the space. Got it on sale at HF a number of years back for <$10. Replaced the buffing wheel with a wire wheel.

image_14819.jpg

Three tools I found invaluable while cruising were - a Dremel (already mentioned) a large roto tool that could be used as a cut off tool , rough hole cutter etc. (make sure you have a abrasive cut off wheel for it to cut anchor chain) , and a tap and die set. All three of those "saved my bacon".

Digital multi meter w DC clamp on ammeter

A multi tool box that they sell at most hard ware stores. I have one in each of the vehicles, rv and boat. Great for tasks that reqire a multitude of different tools. I used the rv one day day checking fluids and lights. Most of the tools you need are in one carry portable kit. I don't leave home with out one.

Well look at you "Mr. Lets Reduce The Site's Ad Revenue!"

:D

Craftsman..life time warranty. Don't think it covers throwing it overboard.
Not sure what happens to the warranty if Sears goes away.

They have great sales this time of year.

Tools Gifts 25 - Sears

as a field service tech i look at things a bit differently than most.

so imo i would make 3 lists of jobs that may need to be done underway or at sea or the dock and select the necessary tools accordingly.

#1. general dock side maintenance.
#2. maintenance at sea. (replacing fuel filters ect.)
#3. emergency repairs.

also tool sets are nice but often they are limited in the size range. so you may end up buy loose sockets/wrenches for specific tasks. and dont over look the electrical side as well. you should have a good dmm(fluke) on the boat and stuff to make basic repairs and spare fuses for everything that takes them. also you might want to get a set of thermal breaker to replace a fuse. they can save your butt when you have a intermittent fault that's pooping fuses.

A sat phone and one of these as long as the gift giver agrees to pay the blls would do it fo
platinum-card-perspective-left.png
r me

Hmmmmm, I'm going to get beat up AGAIN. But--- please no cheap Chinese made tools. Tools that break or strip are no better than no tools. Actually they are worse! At a minimum by Craftsman but avoid the "Sears" brand. Good steel costs more, and tool prices reflect that.

Just a note for all with Cummins engines. The tool list in the manual is great EXCEPT they assume you have 12 point sockets. I prefer 6 point sockets but the Starter bolts for Cummins starters are special and need a 12 point 10 mm socket.
Get one and tag it if you run Cummins and want to change a starter in the back of beyond.

A surprisingly good find - Husky tool set in a nice sturdy plastic case. Very good quality. There are always "specialty" "items that are specific to your boat that wouldn't be in a set like this, but these are my go to tools every time I'm doing work. They have at least 3 levels of set, one basic ratchet set, ratchet set with combination wrenches, and a much bigger set.

Husky Mechanics Tool Set (185-Piece)-H185MTSN - The Home Depot

For electrical testing, this is the best AC/DC clamp on multimeter I have found for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-CL800-Auto-Ranging-Digital/dp/B019CY4FB4

Ken

I have several Harbour Freight drills too, but those are really "single use" items. When desperate, run down to HF and pick one up, throw it away when the day is done, as it likely won't work tomorrow. If it does, bonus!

I have had my Harbor Freight drill for over a year. Here's how to make it go longer than expected:

#1) Take it apart. Add machine grease to the bow of the thing (where the gears are)

#2) The wires where they come through at the stern pulled out and later shorted out. Think spark then nothing. I fixed that (standard way, butt connectors, separating the wires) then put it all back together.

The machine grease is the key. Lots of lubrication out to keep it going.

Mine still works though honestly it doesn't get much use.

Greetings,
Over the years I've bought a lot of stuff from HF. I still have pretty well ALL the tools I've purchased. Some of the other stuff (solar lights for eg.) hardly lasted out the door of the store. One can suggest HF tools don't have the "guts" of name brand items. Fair enough but for the amount of work I use them for, they're quite adequate and I doubt many boaters subject their tools to what might be considered "heavy duty" use.

Was looking for a multi-tool a while back. Fein wanted in the neighborhood of $400+ for their unit. Bought one at HF for $70 on sale and it works just fine.

HF tools have their place in a non full time mechanics tool box.

Some of their tools are good enough for all but the toughest work, at a fraction of the coSt.

But for a large set, tough to beat craftsman or Lowes Kobalt. I bought a Husky set that has been great for 15 years working around boats..but the 1/4 inch drive can't seem to hold on to anything. Took the first 2 back and just gave up.

My new favorite power tool is the Rigid multi tool with multiple heads (son just got me the battery operated one and both of us are filling up my set)...the right angle drill, jig saw, and multi tool have earned their keep. The recip saw attachment is next. The corded version for such a small tool cut out my thick steel fuel tanks years ago and still works great.

Last edited:
Greetings,
"HF tools have their place in a non full time mechanics tool box." EXACTLY. "...at a fraction of the cost..." EXACTLY.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom