How to digitalize DVDs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janice142

Guru
Vessel Name
Seaweed
Vessel Make
Schucker mini-trawler
I have about 100 DVDs aboard Seaweed and enjoy watching them. I'd like to join this millennium (hi WifeyB) so wish to turn them into something I can save to a hard-drive.

Speak slowly please.
And, to make it more difficult I need to save them with closed captioning if at all possible. Plus I like the bonus features.

The "plan" is to connect to a tv via a usb to a big hard drive. I'm considering a 1 terabyte size. I do want them all on one hard-drive.

Besides how to do it, is there anything I need to know?
Do the digital versions last "forever" as long as the drive is not corrupted?
I have all real DVDs (no bootlegs)

Any copying will involve purchase of something. My netbook doesn't have a slot for a DVD.

DVD-Row3.jpg

And thanks for any advice. I did search this forum and came up blank. I'm sure it's been discussed a year or three back but I cannot find that thread. And by now new stuff is probably out anyway, so....!

Thank you.

Janice,

I'd recommend the largest HD you can afford, 4TB if possible. Each movie will eat up about 2-3 gig of space. Second, if you can find them where you are, go for the HD's that don't require a separate power source. I have well over 10 TB worth of movies, series and concerts and need another 8TB's to store the rest of the dvds I haven't copied yet. As an interim, I removed all the remaining dvds and store them in a large binder with sleeves.
Now to be honest, I have a few friends that have movies stored on HD's and I just copied them to a new HD I bought.
As far as copying your existing DVD onto an external hard drive, you'll have to research some software for your type of PC. We use Macs and Apples so if your on windows, find one that will work for your version.

Also, for now we have to run movies through the Mac to the TV, and we use a free software called VLC as it will read and run almost any format that the movie or music is in.

Good luck!

I have an extensive collection on hard drives. I use Tunebite which is a screen copy program. Basically you play the DVD and copy what is on the screen into a digital file. I found it easiest to just have a separate computer set up to do nothing but copy. (OK it is an old netbook that isn't worth much)

At the quality level I use, basically medium quality, each DVD uses approximately 800 to 1,200 mb.

The decision as to the output format is important as three of the most commonly used all have benefits and problems. WMV, MP-4 and AVI are the three I have played with.

All three will work on a computer. The problem is that WMV will not work for some TVs that permit a direct connection to a hard drive. AVI will not work on some Blu-Ray players that allow you to connect a hard drive and then pass it through to the TV. MP-4 has worked on both the TVs I have and the Blu-Ray players. I am now recording using only MP-4 at medium quality. Quality affects size of file.

I use a Blu-Ray player for the connection. In part this is because I have a substantial collection of DVDs recorded using the WMV output.

We spend four months a year on Bay Pelican without TV service. During this time we frequently watch these recorded movies and TV programs.

Word about hard drives. Like anything electronic, they will fail eventually. Thus I suggest a second hard drive with a full copy of what you have recorded. Pay attention to your hard drive if you connect it to a TV or Blu-Ray Player. I found that the portable hard drives will remain "on" as long as they are connected as the USB outlet is powered even if the Blu-Ray or TV (some) is off. On the boat I use a powered hard drive which can be turned off with a switch.

If you have an extensive collection organizing the copies is a challenge. I use an Excel spreadsheet to list what I have. Also the copies are organized in alphabetized folders on the hard drive.

Since we left the US, everyone trades movies, shows etc. on Hardrive. Left with nothing, now have 3 TB. They even have TV series before they are released in US.

I agree w/ Marty on file size, HD and large files are a waste of space. Janice you most likely will be watching these on a laptop like us. Not to many cruisers with large smaet tvs down here. Picture clarity is fine, I would rather hold twice the movies, as hard drive expense adds up. One other thing to consider is the new wifi enabled drives for a few extra dollars if you have a router on board(we have a wirie booster)

Not to many cruisers with large smaet tvs down here.

If you don't have a smart TV on board, one option is to buy an LG Blu-Ray player as your DVD player. These units allow you to connect a hard drive via a USB port to the player and pass the movie through to the TV.

I have been happier with the LG players then others so I mention them by brand. Just bought another one on sale for $49 US.

Marty

I like the idea of the screen shot program. Reason being I bought a DVD copy program that now has challenges with newer incripted files. With a screen shot program if you can see it then it can be recorded. I have a seven year old, Disney has become the worst.

+1 for handbrake.
Smart TV is not a requirement, just need TV with USB port as all dumb TVs have done for the last 10 years and play them via inbuilt TV software/menu. This is what we do for our upstairs TV.
For something a bit smarter my main TV doubles as a PC and media centre with the addition of an mk808b plus usb stick.
Connects to the internet via wifi
Runs Kodi media player for our extensive movie/series library.
All a hell of a lot cheaper than a so called "smart" TV.

Last edited:
Aren't DVDs already digitized - isn't that what the D stands for?

Aren't DVDs already digitized - isn't that what the D stands for?

You are probably correct. I just want to make mine into something besides carrying the DVDs. The space could be better used. I wasn't sure how the wording was supposed to go (which is probably why I couldn't find how to's from this site)

I'll look into the player/LG thing.

I had an old car/DVD player a friend had passed on to me a half dozen years ago. This past spring I bought a 15" TV/DVD player that runs off 12 volts. 25 watts!

My netbook is an older Toshiba -- no CD/DVD tray. It uses just 15 watts.

I'm not familiar with Disney and copyright stuff. I know I had fits when I bought a Sony music CD boxed set and the son of a guns would not copy properly. Jerks. It was mine and I could not turn it into MP3s.

That was the last Sony anything I bought. They don't need me and I darn sure don't need/want their nonsense.

I'm taking notes and will look into the rest.
Thank you one and all.

Definitely I'll look for a larger TB hard drive after the new year. I have all the Star Trek Voyager DVDs along with a couple of boxed sets with 82 old sci-fi shows and 100 comedies. Old ones, like Amazing Adventure with Cary Grant.

Mr. Grant, back then Mr. Leach wanted to spend some time with Daddy's older sister (a gorgeous redhead) and Daddy was given an Indian head penny to go away. He still had the penny, and now Kidlet has it. Apparently in the 20's a penny bought privacy. ;)

Nowadays privacy requires a boat and a remote anchorage.

Thanks to all once again. I appreciate your advice. J.

Last edited:
Use a combination of DVD Decrypter and Handbrake, both available as free downloads from the net.

Follow the instructions on this YouTube video.

I've just recently converted all my DVDs to MP4 using this method and it works perfectly. No need to pay for anything.

Use a combination of DVD Decrypter and Handbrake, both available as free downloads from the net.

I've just recently converted all my DVDs to MP4 using this method and it works perfectly. No need to pay for anything.

Awesome link, Thanks!

Until you get it on HD consider moving out of boxes and into 3-ring binder. It will save alot of room.

Actually just moving them into binders would eliminate 80% of your space requirements. It's the box, not the DVD, that takes up so much space.

If you want a one item solution to backing up your DVD's to hard disk I used to use a program called DVDFab. It will decrypt almost anything and then copy it to the place you specify. If you don't have a DVD drive in your laptop just get an external one as well as the external hard drive.
Once it's set up its just a matter of loading the DVD into the drive, open the program and click on one button. Normally only takes about 20 minutes and there are PC and Mac versions.

I just want to make mine into something besides carrying the DVDs. The space could be better used.

Until you get it on HD consider moving out of boxes and into 3-ring binder. It will save alot of room.

Actually just moving them into binders would eliminate 80% of your space requirements. It's the box, not the DVD, that takes up so much space.

Yep. I just looked at our boat storage system, a DVD/CD binder made by Case Logic. Measures slightly less than 12"H x 7"W x 3"D, and it came with 18 inserts. Each insert holds 2 discs on each side, so 4 each, total 72 discs.

For me, that was a quick solution that saved all the processing time that would be involved in decrypting/recording/managing... and the picture quality remains as original.

-Chris

With a screen shot program if you can see it then it can be recorded.
True, but the problem with screen shot programs is that the quality is much reduced in the process. I use a screen shot program when there is no other way. Whenever possible, though, a DVD ripper program, like DVDFab, is a better choice as it will preserve the picture quality.

Ditto on what others have said about DVD Decoder and Handbrake....

FYI a PS4 or similar console game can be a fantastic media device. If you have a network on your boat you can connect it to a networked HD (removable or otherwise) or PC and stream to your TV using a Plex or Kodi Server. An Android TV stick also will do this in a less capable form factor. My vote would be an Nvidia Shield TV or PS4...

Ch

You don't want to RIP or CONVERT if you want the bonus features etc. Plus you will lose menus.

I do exactly what you are wanting to do. Got an 8tb drive and used DVDFab to make single iso images of all my dvds. Plenty of media streamers out there that you can plug an external hard drive into and fire up the iso as if you had the original dvd still.

You don't want to RIP or CONVERT if you want the bonus features etc. Plus you will lose menus.
There are plenty of DVD ripper software packages out there that will preserve all of the menus, bonus features, closed captioning, and everything else.

That may not be possible if you convert to mp4 format. I don't know as I don't do that.

You would probably have to use mkv to have multiple audio tracks for commentaries etc. Personally I prefer to just have the entire dvd as-is with the menu intact. 8tb is ~200-250.

Also agree that once it is built and loaded, important to clone it onto a backup drive.

I would suggest still to take step one, elimination of boxes, then step two can proceed slowly and cautiously toward loading them on a hard drive at which point I'd still keep the dvd's in binders as back up. There are many types of dvd binders and some are amazingly small.

DVD Decrypter is a legacy program and no longer supported. I have / use it and it works well if you can still find it. Handbrake also works well. I've used it to transfer movies to an archive drive or my iPad. You can compress a full movie into ~1 GB of space.

I use a program, Magjic DVD ripper and copier. Magic DVD Ripper - rip DVD to hard drive or blank DVD
They also have a Bluray program. Magic Blu-ray Ripper & Copy Software - Rip, Copy and Burn Blu-ray Movies I think all have a free trial period.
The programs have several options, full movie only, etc. Retaining menus, features if desired. It's very easy to use. I've never had it fail. Ripper and copier cost about $35-50. If you buy the Bluray later, you get a discount.
You can legally make one copy of your disks. The ripped files on the hard drive are unchanged except no copyright and no zone. Any video player seems to play them. I use VLC player that also will rip, but it's more complicated for an old guy. I have a 3tb drive with aux drive. It would take hundreds of movies to fill it.
I use VLC player to play when using the pc because it has the ability to set the volume up to 200% and I don't hear well. It's a free download on the web.

Hmm, not sure what I'm doing wrong, downloaded these two programs and followed the youtube instructions, actually shifting back to instructional video at critical times to make sure, jotting notes, etc.

Outcome was complete, but broken with horizontal discontinuities in video; audio seemed complete. Did it twice with some setting changes without improvement. Even went back to original disk to make sure it wasn't corrupted. Any thoughts? Meanwhile, I'll try one of the other methodologies.

'Prof

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom