Finally in!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

watness

Vessel Name
Dharma
Vessel Make
Davis/Europa Sedan
I am repairing water damage on a 1977 Taiwan trawler with mahogany plywood cabin sides covered with 1/8" glass. Replacing delaminated glass and plys. I am also replacing front windshields.

Question: what has anyone used to bed the glass in the rabbets that has stood the test of time?

Thanks

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Hmmm...window bedding. Last year I would have strongly advocated Dolfinite https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=4400 and I'm still a big proponent of it BUT while working on our smaller boat this past spring and re-bedding a lot of trim and deck fittings, I would also suggest butyl tape. https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/caulks-sealants/48463.htm (as an example only).
The butyl tape WAS much less messy and much easier to apply but time will tell as to it's potential superiority over Dolfinite.
Personal opinion follows: Do NOT use silicone in any form or 3M 5200. I've tried other of the caulk tube type sealants (boat life etc.) and was not at all happy with either their application or performance.
https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=4400

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Hmmm...window bedding. Last year I would have strongly advocated Dolfinite https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=4400 and I'm still a big proponent of it BUT while working on our smaller boat this past spring and re-bedding a lot of trim and deck fittings, I would also suggest butyl tape. https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/caulks-sealants/48463.htm (as an example only).
The butyl tape WAS much less messy and much easier to apply but time will tell as to it's potential superiority over Dolfinite.
Personal opinion follows: Do NOT use silicone in any form or 3M 5200. I've tried other of the caulk tube type sealants (boat life etc.) and was not at all happy with either their application or performance.

I stopped using Dolfinite years ago because it dries so hard and crumbly.

I started using gutter seal (butyl rubber) for bedding things like deck fittings. Just don't know that it will stick to glass

I used sikaflex 291 LOT on 3 windows this summer and it did a good job. Need to be prepared when using it but if you know how to use it it does well.
However there are many similar products on the market that I am sure will do the same and like many other thing everybody will have his preference based on his own experience.
Like mentionned by our dear Mr RTF butyl tape will certainly do a good job and is used in automotive for years.

as in window putty? What is that stuff anyway?:)
Used to be/?is called linseed oil putty here. No idea what`s in it except the oil bit, eventually dries hard. Sika 291 should work,might be hard to trowel smooth, unless it`s really just for bedding.

Welcome aboard

���� On the Butyl tape, used it on my RV for years and have used it a few times on the boat. Easy to work with, seems to work fine for most applications.

Used to be/?is called linseed oil putty here. No idea what`s in it except the oil bit, eventually dries hard. Sika 291 should work,might be hard to trowel smooth, unless it`s really just for bedding.

I learned a very good tip from a plumber (nothing to see with boats but very bright tip) in order to collect the excess without doing a mess.
You take a tube, you do a 45 degre cut at the end, and you slide the tube end all along the edge where the excess caulk is showing...
The result: the angle cut tube collect the excess and send it into the tube and you end with a clean round edge without putting the sticky matter all over the face of the admiral :)
May need a bit of practice but believe me it is very effective!

Butyl tape. It's what the pros use. Relatively cheap, easy to work with, easy clean up, very forgiving and very effective. IMO, there really isn't a good alternative. Here's where I buy it.

***Buy Bed-It Butyl Tape*** Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

Hope you have a similar experience.

PS. Not all butyl tape is created equal. Go with quality so you don't regret it later.

Last edited:
Compass' butyl tape. As Al said, and in my personal experience with several Brand X varieties, there is a difference.

Butyl tape user here, Compass Marine!

3M used to make a slow cure bedding compound called 101 that was good for windows. Messy and smelly though. The tape works well.

3m 101 was polysulfide and was my favorite bedding compound. Now I use tape for most things as well.

Lifecaulk still makes a polysulfide based sealant that is pretty good, but I still prefer the old 3m 101 though I'm not sure I could tell you why. Now that I'm used to tape and a much easier application, I would very likely use it in many cases if 101 was still available. For underwater thru hulls I still prefer the caulk tube style sealants, but anything not fuel related topside definitely gets tape.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom