View Single Post
Old 12-09-2016, 03:43 PM   #19
O C Diver
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
My boat came with 5 Marelon (Forespar) thru-hull seacocks. I ended up removing all of them. They weren't through bolted and disassembling the through hull portion to verify integrity proved destructive on a couple. Removed 3 (reglassed hole) and replaced 2 with through bolted bronze Groco seacocks.

The Forespar is a decent product but removing the seacock to verify integrity was an issue. While I may never remove my bronze ones again, I felt for piece of mind it was important to verify proper installation. The design is such that disassembling the ball portion is but 4 screws. The seals are 3 orings and 2 gaskets. Contacted Forespar about replacement orings and gaskets. You would have thought I had disassembled a nuclear reactor that was running. Apparently you need to be a qualified technician to work on one. They didn't want the liability of selling me the parts, so they gave them to me including free shipping. The base of the valve was destroyed trying to remove it from the through hull tube. Knew I wasn't going to be able to replace that part, so replaced with bronze. Really sad part is that you could have an essential good as new valve by replacing the orings and gaskets every 5 to 10 years.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote